Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    " Dalman is about as trustworthy as a politician "
    A certain someone else repeats that shite all the time
    I can assure you I have nothing to do with the dark side. Dalman always sounds to me like a lying Tory cnut though.

People talk about the lack of crowds as if it means that income has dried up completely from that direction, but, by way of an example, a friend of mine, who does not have a computer, paid his normal amount for a season ticket last summer and, apart from matches on Sky, saw nothing of City in the season just ended. The club was in receipt of season ticket revenue which, as I remember it, seemed surprisingly high given the circumstances, so, although I accept that receipts from such directions are not the be all and end all anymore, it's not true to say Vincent Tan was solely responsible for income received in 20/21.

Also, is there any point in becoming too negative about transfer plans for this summer? The transfer market this year is, almost certainly, going to favour buying clubs much more than in previous summers, so I'd say that shrewd recruiting by clubs could see them end up with stronger squads despite turning a profit in terms of buying and selling players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Well one player on £20K per week costs £1 million per year before bonuses. Then factor in staff, the academy, directors, utilities, agent fees, maintenance and so on... and I’m pretty sure that sponsorship must have dried up?
    I take your point, we may have 2/3 players on £20k a week but most are probably on half that and some a lot less
    It’s a pure guess but I would say roughly our total outgoings are in the region of about £40 million.
    So, I can’t see why Tan would need to subsidise us £3 million a month.. although he probably will have to next season

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    I take your point, we may have 2/3 players on £20k a week but most are probably on half that and some a lot less
    It’s a pure guess but I would say roughly our total outgoings are in the region of about £40 million.
    So, I can’t see why Tan would need to subsidise us £3 million a month.. although he probably will have to next season
    You obviously have no idea how much it costs to run a professional football club in the Championship. Do you think the stadium and all the staff employed apart from the players cost nothing ? Business rates for the stadium alone cost in the region of £500000 a year ! Do you actually believe that we only have 2/3 players on £20K a week as well - it was more like three or four times that (Smithies, Morrison, Flint, Bennett, Hoilett, Glatzel, Moore, Wilson, Ojo, Ralls, Murphy). Why would the figure Tan is putting into the club be exaggerated ? It was widely publicised by a number of different media outlets as between £3m and £4m a month over two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why would the figure Tan is putting into the club be exaggerated ?
    Because Dalman's a serial bullshitter who likes to stroke Tan's ego perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You really are a bitter and twisted individual regarding anything to do with Tan. What would they get out of exaggerating how much it costs to run the club anyway.

You really are a bitter and twisted individual regarding anything to do with Tan. What would they get out of exaggerating how much it costs to run the club anyway.
    Have you ever spent any time in Dalman’s company?

You should know all about serial bullshitters you licked his 99 enough

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    You should know all about serial bullshitters you licked his 99 enough
    Look out, having popped his portrait of Vinnie back on the mantelpiece, Stockholm Stan's arrived....

Have we ever had any non bullshitting board members? Thought it went with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Have we ever had any non bullshitting board members? Thought it went with the territory.
    To a degree it seems to.

I was in a meeting with Mehmet Dalman in January 2015, during which he boldly stated he wasn't involved with Cardiff City when the club was rebranded. In truth, he joined the board in January 2012.

Dalman was appointed as City's Chairman seven years and nine months ago. If his latest claims are true and the club really has needed Vincent Tan to put in £3 million a month to keep it going, that's a damning indictment of the way in which he the board have been running the show. Premier League parachute payments, season ticket money and an additional £3 million a month to maintain a mid-table Championship club with a mediocre squad? Great work.

You obviously have no idea how much it costs to run a professional football club in the Championship. Do you think the stadium and all the staff employed apart from the players cost nothing ? Business rates for the stadium alone cost in the region of £500000 a year ! Do you actually believe that we only have 2/3 players on £20K a week as well - it was more like three or four times that (Smithies, Morrison, Flint, Bennett, Hoilett, Glatzel, Moore, Wilson, Ojo, Ralls, Murphy). Why would the figure Tan is putting into the club be exaggerated ? It was widely publicised by a number of different media outlets as between £3m and £4m a month over two years ago.
    Links please to the likes of Glatzel and Flint being on 20k a week wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Links please to the likes of Glatzel and Flint being on 20k a week wages.
    What a stupid effing request.

Have you ever spent any time in Dalman’s company?
    go on then , tell us

Dalman does remind me of Swiss Tony.

To a degree it seems to.

I was in a meeting with Mehmet Dalman in January 2015, during which he boldly stated he wasn't involved with Cardiff City when the club was rebranded. In truth, he joined the board in January 2012.

Dalman was appointed as City's Chairman seven years and nine months ago. If his latest claims are true and the club really has needed Vincent Tan to put in £3 million a month to keep it going, that's a damning indictment of the way in which he the board have been running the show. Premier League parachute payments, season ticket money and an additional £3 million a month to maintain a mid-table Championship club with a mediocre squad? Great work.
    You've met the both of them. Who's the biggest liar, Hammam or Dalman?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    You've met the both of them. Who's the biggest liar, Hammam or Dalman?
    I don't think that would be a valid comparison. One was the club owner, the other is the Chairman and they seem to be very different characters. Besides which, I've only spent an hour or so in Dalman's company, during which he was busily engaging in a cheesy PR exercise. I spent much more time in Hammam's company, often on a one-to-one basis, during which he talked about all manner of crap.

Perhaps a better comparison would be Peter Ridsdale, but again a direct comparison is difficult as I attended many meetings with him in a variety of settings and only one with Dalman which was staged by the club. I'll admit I always liked Ridsdale - he was entertaining company and I greatly admired how hard he worked and the phenomenal amount of hours he put in while he was Chairman. I reckon there's every chance the cub would have crashed in 2005 without him. However, he was obviously dodgy to put it mildly and could bullshit with the best of them. He had that down to an art form.

Whats the rules on FFP.?

If Tan is putting in 3m then losses of around 36m must be putting us in dodgy ground.

Just doesnt sound right. I think Dalman may be being a bit economical with the truth. Maybe the 3m is going in to cover costs then reclaimed when an income stream like a parachute payment comes in.

I think there are a lot of players at the club who are on big wages. Reports were that Smithies alone is on £35k per week, that's £1.8 pa for just one player. If, as stated, there are about 4 or 5 others on c £20k per week that's another £5m+ pa. And all the other players across the whole club, not just the first team squad. And the cost of the coaching staff and backroom people. The running of the ground too, someone above says £500k for business rates? And what we are paying for transfer fees, for the like of Murphy possibly, Glatzel, Flint etc, and the loan players. From talking to someone at another club I know a big cost is NI contributions c10% of the total wage bill and I know this has been a factor in cutting wage bills.

All this with income from the parachute payment's final year, and some income from season tickets. The season ticket income will be lost next season as people will have credit for missing this season (I hope, because I am one of them). No match day income, no potential big crowds for important games and derbies against Swansea and Bristol City. I expect it all adds up.

But it will have been the same for most clubs.

Next year will be difficult, very difficult for us with no parachute payments. Same for Swansea (unless they go up!). And the clubs coming down will be in the same position, losing the PL money and taking a drop down to parachute payments.

I expect Bamba and Bennett to follow Hoilett out of the club, one or two sales maybe and Glaztel sold or loaned out again. Transfers fees will be negligible but more important to get players off the wage bill.

A lot of other clubs are in trouble, Derby we know about, and a big club like Sheffield Wednesday in League 1. A lot off clubs could end up in serious financial mess.

I just hope we do OK. I still reckon we will get some decent signings in but it won't be silly fees like previous season. I just hope Harry Wilson comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think there are a lot of players at the club who are on big wages. Reports were that Smithies alone is on £35k per week, that's £1.8 pa for just one player.
    "Reports" is a pretty grand way of saying "completely made up rumour"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    "Reports" is a pretty grand way of saying "completely made up rumour"
    Probably, normally, but then Warnock signed him!

Probably, normally, but then Warnock signed him!
    Oh Jesus, good point

I think there are a lot of players at the club who are on big wages. Reports were that Smithies alone is on £35k per week, that's £1.8 pa for just one player. If, as stated, there are about 4 or 5 others on c £20k per week that's another £5m+ pa. And all the other players across the whole club, not just the first team squad. And the cost of the coaching staff and backroom people. The running of the ground too, someone above says £500k for business rates? And what we are paying for transfer fees, for the like of Murphy possibly, Glatzel, Flint etc, and the loan players. From talking to someone at another club I know a big cost is NI contributions c10% of the total wage bill and I know this has been a factor in cutting wage bills.

All this with income from the parachute payment's final year, and some income from season tickets. The season ticket income will be lost next season as people will have credit for missing this season (I hope, because I am one of them). No match day income, no potential big crowds for important games and derbies against Swansea and Bristol City. I expect it all adds up.

But it will have been the same for most clubs.

Next year will be difficult, very difficult for us with no parachute payments. Same for Swansea (unless they go up!). And the clubs coming down will be in the same position, losing the PL money and taking a drop down to parachute payments.

I expect Bamba and Bennett to follow Hoilett out of the club, one or two sales maybe and Glaztel sold or loaned out again. Transfers fees will be negligible but more important to get players off the wage bill.

A lot of other clubs are in trouble, Derby we know about, and a big club like Sheffield Wednesday in League 1. A lot off clubs could end up in serious financial mess.

I just hope we do OK. I still reckon we will get some decent signings in but it won't be silly fees like previous season. I just hope Harry Wilson comes back.
    The rules on financial fair play (now called profitability and sustainabilty - punchy name!) are that you average your losses over a three year period and are allowed to make an average loss of £13m in the Championship and £35m in the Premier League. So we can make a loss of 2x £13m plus 1X£35m =£61m divided by 3 =just over £20m a year on average. On that basis , no problem with meeting the restrictions.

In addition , clubs are currently allowed to make a further "Covid loss" which they have to calculate and have audited .

I don't think that would be a valid comparison. One was the club owner, the other is the Chairman and they seem to be very different characters. Besides which, I've only spent an hour or so in Dalman's company, during which he was busily engaging in a cheesy PR exercise. I spent much more time in Hammam's company, often on a one-to-one basis, during which he talked about all manner of crap.

Perhaps a better comparison would be Peter Ridsdale, but again a direct comparison is difficult as I attended many meetings with him in a variety of settings and only one with Dalman which was staged by the club. I'll admit I always liked Ridsdale - he was entertaining company and I greatly admired how hard he worked and the phenomenal amount of hours he put in while he was Chairman. I reckon there's every chance the cub would have crashed in 2005 without him. However, he was obviously dodgy to put it mildly and could bullshit with the best of them. He had that down to an art form.
    Almost forgot about Risdale. Love him or hate him, your quite right in that he probably saved CCFC going bust.
    Going a bit further back, did you meet Clemo? I think he tops my list of self serving CCFC chairmen.