+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Garage conversions

  1. #1

    Garage conversions

    I have a detached garage / utility room. I'd like to have it converted into a self contained living area with a bed/living room, a kitchen and a bathroom. I have space to extend the length of the current building

    It's single brick at the moment with a rubber skinned style roof (which would need replacing).

    How possible is this?

    Does it need planning permission because it's change of use. I guess it will need a second layer of brick so it can be insulated correctly, damp proof course maybe, new roof, electrics done properly, it has hot and cold water going to it at the moment. It's near the outside drainage.

    So we are not looking to make changes to the actual house, just the garage.

    Anyone done this, or do this sort of thing?

  2. #2

    Re: Garage conversions

    I done my years ago but mine was attached to the house which made it easier.Didn’t need planning permission just building regs.

  3. #3

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I have a detached garage / utility room. I'd like to have it converted into a self contained living area with a bed/living room, a kitchen and a bathroom. I have space to extend the length of the current building

    It's single brick at the moment with a rubber skinned style roof (which would need replacing).

    How possible is this?

    Does it need planning permission because it's change of use. I guess it will need a second layer of brick so it can be insulated correctly, damp proof course maybe, new roof, electrics done properly, it has hot and cold water going to it at the moment. It's near the outside drainage.

    So we are not looking to make changes to the actual house, just the garage.

    Anyone done this, or do this sort of thing?
    are you looking at having a separate door entrance to this place ? That might have planning implications and possibly council tax ones too

  4. #4

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    are you looking at having a separate door entrance to this place ? That might have planning implications and possibly council tax ones too
    it has a separate door already. adding a front door would be good, but not a game changer

  5. #5

    Re: Garage conversions

    A couple of things to think about.
    Plan your electrics and light placement now before you plaster board over.
    How are you planning on heating the room - under floor or a radiator?
    You may want to raise the floor to the adjoining room level with screeding.
    Also if itís a garage you will want half a wall and a window.
    Wonít need a fire door as your going from garage to room and not the other way.
    I donít believe you need any kind of regs or planning permission because you not extending out, up or down.

  6. #6

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    A couple of things to think about.
    Plan your electrics and light placement now before you plaster board over.
    How are you planning on heating the room - under floor or a radiator?
    You may want to raise the floor to the adjoining room level with screeding.
    Also if it’s a garage you will want half a wall and a window.
    Won’t need a fire door as your going from garage to room and not the other way.
    I don’t believe you need any kind of regs or planning permission because you not extending out, up or down.
    It's a DETACHED garage.

  7. #7

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It's a DETACHED garage.
    Ah of course I was thinking a detached house.
    Ignore everything I said.

  8. #8

    Re: Garage conversions

    The only time that you'll need planning is if you're making it larger and in to a seperate dwelling. Sounds to me that you're on the verge of doing that, although not a seperate dwelling.

    As for the build, you'll need an internal skin for insulation, although this can be done in timber stud form, which means that you'll lose at least 200mm overall, maybe a little more, although you'll be able to hide all services. Roof, may need changing, although i doubt that you'll be able to change it to an up and over, tiled or slated. DPC can be injected, Electrics will have to be separate to the house with a consumer unit inside the conversion. Waste, if you are cutting into the sewage line, then your water provider, or welsh water, will want to inspect before and after you've connected a line from toilet, shower etc. None of this work is that difficult.

  9. #9

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Ah of course I was thinking a detached house.
    Ignore everything I said.
    House is detached but garage is also detached from the detached house. so just looking to work on the garage which i guess is technically a separate outbuilding.

  10. #10

    Re: Garage conversions

    Every single one of us has thought about setting up a car wash/nail bar and housing illegal immigrants but itís just not worth it

  11. #11

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The only time that you'll need planning is if you're making it larger and in to a seperate dwelling. Sounds to me that you're on the verge of doing that, although not a seperate dwelling.

    As for the build, you'll need an internal skin for insulation, although this can be done in timber stud form, which means that you'll lose at least 200mm overall, maybe a little more, although you'll be able to hide all services. Roof, may need changing, although i doubt that you'll be able to change it to an up and over, tiled or slated. DPC can be injected, Electrics will have to be separate to the house with a consumer unit inside the conversion. Waste, if you are cutting into the sewage line, then your water provider, or welsh water, will want to inspect before and after you've connected a line from toilet, shower etc. None of this work is that difficult.
    Are you busy next week

    It's a nice little project which is hopefully not too complicated.

  12. #12

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Are you busy next week

    It's a nice little project which is hopefully not too complicated.
    It isn't that difficult, especially if it's a more modern garage. The floor will have to be insulated as well, two options, insulation and floor screed, which will bring you up about 180 200 mm, or a false timber floor.

  13. #13

    Re: Garage conversions

    Don’t forget to check finished floor level to u/s of existing joists. You’re going to need insulation on the existing concrete floor, 100mm at least (although some authorities regs are now 150mm, ridiculous depth really), u/f heating snake clipped to the insulation. 50mm sand/cement screed or liquid screed over the lot. That’s at least 150mm higher than your existing slab. I presume you’ve got bare joists at the moment so insulation (100mm at least) should be fitted between them, this would create a ‘cold’ roof. Given that it’s a flat roof and not pitched you can’t get above the joists to insulate over the top so you should really be using an insulated plasterboard on the ceiling to complete uninterrupted ceiling insulation, this would most probably result in your ceiling finish being 50mm below u/s of existing joists. Doing it this way, which is normal practice now, would result in your storey height being 200mm (8 inches)less than it is now.

  14. #14

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It isn't that difficult, especially if it's a more modern garage. The floor will have to be insulated as well, two options, insulation and floor screed, which will bring you up about 180 200 mm, or a false timber floor.
    I went with a raised well insulated timber floor well worth spending on a good thickness of timber, as it provides greater warmth than concrete or tiles on concrete

  15. #15

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don’t forget to check finished floor level to u/s of existing joists. You’re going to need insulation on the existing concrete floor, 100mm at least (although some authorities regs are now 150mm, ridiculous depth really), u/f heating snake clipped to the insulation. 50mm sand/cement screed or liquid screed over the lot. That’s at least 150mm higher than your existing slab. I presume you’ve got bare joists at the moment so insulation (100mm at least) should be fitted between them, this would create a ‘cold’ roof. Given that it’s a flat roof and not pitched you can’t get above the joists to insulate over the top so you should really be using an insulated plasterboard on the ceiling to complete uninterrupted ceiling insulation, this would most probably result in your ceiling finish being 50mm below u/s of existing joists. Doing it this way, which is normal practice now, would result in your storey height being 200mm (8 inches)less than it is now.
    There are options, the iso insulation that comes in blanket form might be allowed, reducing loss of height, although the floor screed will have to be a minimum of 75 mm up to 100 mm with chicken wire over the insulation. Madness!

  16. #16

    Re: Garage conversions

    Just got to add as well that many garage slabs are laid with a gradient which is a bugger, if you don’t want to take it up you have to use the highest point as your sub floor datum which could result in even less head room. Windows are often a pain as well, normal, non kitchen or bathroom, cill heights are 900mm with a 1200mm window given you the conventional 2100 head, u/s of lintel, high, sometimes hard to achieve in an existing garage. Bit of planning before striking a blow is required.

  17. #17

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There are options, the iso insulation that comes in blanket form might be allowed, reducing loss of height, although the floor screed will have to be a minimum of 75 mm up to 100 mm with chicken wire over the insulation. Madness!
    If it was mine I’d be very much inclined to take the existing slab up, reduce the levels inside the room and put a traditional floor in to nigh on the same height as it is now, membrane, insulation the lot. Regs have changed on inside to be 150mm above outside with disabled access to the fore now so that problem’s solved, Mike said existing drainage was nearby so a run of Aco’s into that may help. Would certainly help with storey heights, bit of heartache at first breaking the slab up but I reckon looking at the finished article you’d think it was well worth it.

  18. #18

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If it was mine Iíd be very much inclined to take the existing slab up, reduce the levels inside the room and put a traditional floor in to nigh on the same height as it is now, membrane, insulation the lot. Regs have changed on inside to be 150mm above outside with disabled access to the fore now so that problemís solved, Mike said existing drainage was nearby so a run of Acoís into that may help. Would certainly help with storey heights, bit of heartache at first breaking the slab up but I reckon looking at the finished article youíd think it was well worth it.
    Completely agree, new floor is the way to go. Absolute ball ache the other way round.

  19. #19

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I done my years ago but mine was attached to the house which made it easier.Didn’t need planning permission just building regs.
    I thought you do need planning for change of use? Partic if you put a kitchen and toilet in? People I know near me can’t get permission to do this, council don’t want people living in garage spaces etc....

  20. #20

    Re: Garage conversions

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I thought you do need planning for change of use? Partic if you put a kitchen and toilet in? People I know near me can’t get permission to do this, council don’t want people living in garage spaces etc....
    Yup, over development. Everyone would be renting their garage out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •