+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Entertainment or promotion?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Entertainment

11 36.67%
  • Promotion

16 53.33%
  • LFW

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entertainment or promotion?

Re: Entertainment or promotion?

Most would prefer (myself included) promotion over entertainment but that's because I want us to win at all costs, always have always will. Even Derby escaping the drop didn't make up for us dropping points against Rotherham last week.

Promotion with poor quality football is acceptable but doesn't fill you with a great sense of achievement or live long in the memory. It is not surprising therefore that people hark back more readily to Bothroyd, Chopra, Gibson, Toshack et al, all of whom played in teams that failed to get us to the top level but gave us memories that will live with us forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Promotion with poor quality football is acceptable but doesn't fill you with a great sense of achievement or live long in the memory.
    Can't agree with that, Andy Campbell's goal went in and the quality of football we played was completely irrelevant. Promotion is promotion regardless of the quality of football.

Entertainment.

Promotion is such a let down once your there .

I agree with Life on Mars.

Under the current football league set-up, promotion to the Premier League is such a damp squib after the initial rush on the day. I've lost total interest in the PL until they sort out the recent mess (which seems to have gone quiet as everyone's celebrating Manchester City's PL win - even though I feel all six clubs should have been docked enough points to drop them out of CL or EL auto qualification).

I'm pretty much old school when it comes to sport in general and feel that how you play the game is just as important as winning. I hated our recent PL experience - we were embarrassing (for the second time) and will be again as it stands. A wet, cold Friday night, 0-5 loss to Watford followed by a Monday (?) 0-3 wet, cold, evening loss to Everton was awful. We played awful football most of the time. Had we played well and lost 0-1 I'd have been disappointed but proud. I wasn't proud of most of our team's performances and neither was I proud of our manager, nor the club for keeping him on.

Entertainment (quality) every time.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 16-05-21 at 14:52. Reason: replied to wrong post and included wrong quote

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Can't agree with that, Andy Campbell's goal went in and the quality of football we played was completely irrelevant. Promotion is promotion regardless of the quality of football.
    It is often said that winning a play-off final is the best way to get promoted and I wouldn't argue with that. It is in effect a cup final, so is it any wonder it has created such a wonderful memory for you. If however we had played that way throughout the whole season and slogged our way to promotion, I very much doubt you would remember that promotion season with the same affection.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    It is often said that winning a play-off final is the best way to get promoted and I wouldn't argue with that. It is in effect a cup final, so is it any wonder it has created such a wonderful memory for you. If however we had played that way throughout the whole season and slogged our way to promotion, I very much doubt you would remember that promotion season with the same affection.
    I have no recollection of how we played that season at all, only the day at The Millennium and that memory will live with me forever.

When I'm close to death I'll look back with fondness on memories like that, I won't give a **** whether we passed the ball around like Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

Under the current football league set-up, promotion to the Premier League is such a damp squib after the initial rush on the day. I've lost total interest in the PL until they sort out the recent mess (which seems to have gone quiet as everyone's celebrating Manchester City's PL win - even though I feel all six clubs should have been docked enough points to drop them out of CL or EL auto qualification).
    I'm with you here. The both times we have been in the Prem have been awful, for a variety of reasons.

I feel that the six 'plastics' should have been demoted down to the Championship to teach them a lesson. Yes, I know there would be 30 teams in the division next season, but every Championship club would have at least six sell out home games. The added bonus with three up three down, is that only three would be likely to return to the Prem the following. One or two like the arse might even do a Leeds and go down to League 1. Bonus! Seriously though, they should have all been deducted points, thus not allowing them to participate in Europe next season

I'm pretty much old school when it comes to sport in general and feel that how you play the game is just as important as winning. I hated our recent PL experience - we were embarrassing (for the second time) and will be again as it stands. A wet, cold Friday night, 0-5 loss to Watford followed by a Monday (?) 0-3 wet, cold, evening loss to Everton was awful. We played awful football most of the time. Had we played well and lost 0-1 I'd have been disappointed but proud. I wasn't proud of most of our team's performances and neither was I proud of our manager, nor the club for keeping him on.

Entertainment (quality) every time.
    I must protest, it wasn’t 5-0 against Watford, it was 5-1 -Sol Bamba scored from a ruck/rolling maul.

Apart from that, I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Entertainment.

Promotion is such a let down once your there .
    So you'll be perfectly happy if we spend the next 10 years as a mid-table Championship team?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I must protest, it wasn’t 5-0 against Watford, it was 5-1 -Sol Bamba scored from a ruck/rolling maul.

Apart from that, I agree with you
    Oh I'd forgotten about that! Yes, our goal clearly didn't register the way Deulofeu's hat-trick did! Was I right about Everton on the following Monday? I referenced these two because I was struggling more than usual and they were a real pain to get to and literally sit through the two matches so close together (and the conditions) so they kind of summed up that season for me. I said to my wife on the way to the Watford game that I wanted to Delefeou up close as I think he'll be a real handful. He made mincemeat of us (Morrison).

Oh I'd forgotten about that! Yes, our goal clearly didn't register the way Deulofeu's hat-trick did! Was I right about Everton on the following Monday? I referenced these two because I was struggling more than usual and they were a real pain to get to and literally sit through the two matches so close together (and the conditions) so they kind of summed up that season for me. I said to my wife on the way to the Watford game that I wanted to Delefeou up close as I think he'll be a real handful. He made mincemeat of us (Morrison).
    As it was not a Bank Holiday, I’d say the only reason we’d play on a Monday is if it was televised and I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t , so I’m guessing the Everton match was on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Delefeou caused us more problems at Cardiff City Stadium than any other player that season I reckon and I remember that although it finished 3-2, Watford could have scored a hatful at Vicaridge Road as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm with you here. The both times we have been in the Prem have been awful, for a variety of reasons.

I feel that the six 'plastics' should have been demoted down to the Championship to teach them a lesson. Yes, I know there would be 30 teams in the division next season, but every Championship club would have at least six sell out home games. The added bonus with three up three down, is that only three would be likely to return to the Prem the following. One or two like the arse might even do a Leeds and go down to League 1. Bonus! Seriously though, they should have all been deducted points, thus not allowing them to participate in Europe next season
    It would have to be the points deduction because it would hurt them more and they need that level of punishment though I'm liking your ruthlessness . In the latest edition in When Saturday Comes it states that all signed up to 23-year contracts. They intended to run second-string teams in their own leagues. They were guaranteed an annual income of around £280 million with a broadcasting contract on top of that. And let's not forget that there were to be 15 permanent members of the new EL - the other 3 unamed before it imploded.

As it was not a Bank Holiday, I’d say the only reason we’d play on a Monday is if it was televised and I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t , so I’m guessing the Everton match was on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Delefeou caused us more problems at Cardiff City Stadium than any other player that season I reckon and I remember that although it finished 3-2, Watford could have scored a hatful at Vicaridge Road as well.

The Everton match was definitely on a Tuesday evening. I had a workshop to attend in Cardiff early the next morning so stayed with my son in the Travelodge just off Queen St. As we left the ground I remember him saying he thought our performance was a load of shite. When I asked him where he heard such a phrase (he was 6), he said "You said it, Daddy!"

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    So you'll be perfectly happy if we spend the next 10 years as a mid-table Championship team?
    Thats the best we can hope for at the moment.

Whilst we all want to be entertained, I expect our mood after a game depends on the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Thats the best we can hope for at the moment.
    We said that when Russell Slade was sacked. In reality, we don't know. We could be a surprise package again, or we could have a big slump. Who knows?

i think we've been close to promotion lots of times while playing shite football.

I've rarely leave a game annoyed that we have won
    Then I've rarely left a game Happy we have lost.

I think there needs to be some middle ground, I think the issue is more getting promoted and not being able to stay up because of how we play.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I've rarely leave a game annoyed that we have won
    Then I've rarely left a game Happy we have lost.

I think there needs to be some middle ground, I think the issue is more getting promoted and not being able to stay up because of how we play.
    That is the key.
    Playing slightly shite football can get us promoted but more likely unsustainable to keep us there.
    I think you have to lay certain foundations which can be tweaked if you go up.
    Not possible to change completely when you get to the premiership