+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Entertainment or promotion?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Entertainment

    11 36.67%
  • Promotion

    16 53.33%
  • LFW

    3 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Entertainment or promotion?

  1. #21

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We werent exactly a passing side under Jones.

  2. #22
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,325

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Very disappointing that the LFW option hasn't got more support.

  3. #23

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    I just voted Leo.

    I want us to be good. I want respect.

  4. #24

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Ask yourself the question, "If your first taste of watching football was that being served up by a Warnock/Harris/McCarthy side would you really want to come back for more ?"

    I was lucky in that I got hooked by watching the Scoular-managed team of the 60's. No promotions but on many an occasion a joy to watch.

  5. #25

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    If you go to the football and aren't devestated with a loss because we played good football, then I don't know what to say to you.

    A win over the quality of the football every time.

  6. #26

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Most would prefer (myself included) promotion over entertainment but that's because I want us to win at all costs, always have always will. Even Derby escaping the drop didn't make up for us dropping points against Rotherham last week.

    Promotion with poor quality football is acceptable but doesn't fill you with a great sense of achievement or live long in the memory. It is not surprising therefore that people hark back more readily to Bothroyd, Chopra, Gibson, Toshack et al, all of whom played in teams that failed to get us to the top level but gave us memories that will live with us forever.

  7. #27

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

    Promotion with poor quality football is acceptable but doesn't fill you with a great sense of achievement or live long in the memory.
    Can't agree with that, Andy Campbell's goal went in and the quality of football we played was completely irrelevant. Promotion is promotion regardless of the quality of football.

  8. #28

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Entertainment.

    Promotion is such a let down once your there .

  9. #29

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    I agree with Life on Mars.

    Under the current football league set-up, promotion to the Premier League is such a damp squib after the initial rush on the day. I've lost total interest in the PL until they sort out the recent mess (which seems to have gone quiet as everyone's celebrating Manchester City's PL win - even though I feel all six clubs should have been docked enough points to drop them out of CL or EL auto qualification).

    I'm pretty much old school when it comes to sport in general and feel that how you play the game is just as important as winning. I hated our recent PL experience - we were embarrassing (for the second time) and will be again as it stands. A wet, cold Friday night, 0-5 loss to Watford followed by a Monday (?) 0-3 wet, cold, evening loss to Everton was awful. We played awful football most of the time. Had we played well and lost 0-1 I'd have been disappointed but proud. I wasn't proud of most of our team's performances and neither was I proud of our manager, nor the club for keeping him on.

    Entertainment (quality) every time.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 16-05-21 at 14:52. Reason: replied to wrong post and included wrong quote

  10. #30

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Can't agree with that, Andy Campbell's goal went in and the quality of football we played was completely irrelevant. Promotion is promotion regardless of the quality of football.
    It is often said that winning a play-off final is the best way to get promoted and I wouldn't argue with that. It is in effect a cup final, so is it any wonder it has created such a wonderful memory for you. If however we had played that way throughout the whole season and slogged our way to promotion, I very much doubt you would remember that promotion season with the same affection.

  11. #31

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    It is often said that winning a play-off final is the best way to get promoted and I wouldn't argue with that. It is in effect a cup final, so is it any wonder it has created such a wonderful memory for you. If however we had played that way throughout the whole season and slogged our way to promotion, I very much doubt you would remember that promotion season with the same affection.
    I have no recollection of how we played that season at all, only the day at The Millennium and that memory will live with me forever.

    When I'm close to death I'll look back with fondness on memories like that, I won't give a **** whether we passed the ball around like Barcelona

  12. #32

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I agree with Life on Mars.

    Under the current football league set-up, promotion to the Premier League is such a damp squib after the initial rush on the day. I've lost total interest in the PL until they sort out the recent mess (which seems to have gone quiet as everyone's celebrating Manchester City's PL win - even though I feel all six clubs should have been docked enough points to drop them out of CL or EL auto qualification).
    I'm with you here. The both times we have been in the Prem have been awful, for a variety of reasons.

    I feel that the six 'plastics' should have been demoted down to the Championship to teach them a lesson. Yes, I know there would be 30 teams in the division next season, but every Championship club would have at least six sell out home games. The added bonus with three up three down, is that only three would be likely to return to the Prem the following. One or two like the arse might even do a Leeds and go down to League 1. Bonus! Seriously though, they should have all been deducted points, thus not allowing them to participate in Europe next season

  13. #33

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I agree with Life on Mars.

    Under the current football league set-up, promotion to the Premier League is such a damp squib after the initial rush on the day. I've lost total interest in the PL until they sort out the recent mess (which seems to have gone quiet as everyone's celebrating Manchester City's PL win - even though I feel all six clubs should have been docked enough points to drop them out of CL or EL auto qualification).

    I'm pretty much old school when it comes to sport in general and feel that how you play the game is just as important as winning. I hated our recent PL experience - we were embarrassing (for the second time) and will be again as it stands. A wet, cold Friday night, 0-5 loss to Watford followed by a Monday (?) 0-3 wet, cold, evening loss to Everton was awful. We played awful football most of the time. Had we played well and lost 0-1 I'd have been disappointed but proud. I wasn't proud of most of our team's performances and neither was I proud of our manager, nor the club for keeping him on.

    Entertainment (quality) every time.
    I must protest, it wasn’t 5-0 against Watford, it was 5-1 -Sol Bamba scored from a ruck/rolling maul.

    Apart from that, I agree with you

  14. #34

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Entertainment.

    Promotion is such a let down once your there .
    So you'll be perfectly happy if we spend the next 10 years as a mid-table Championship team?

  15. #35

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I must protest, it wasnt 5-0 against Watford, it was 5-1 -Sol Bamba scored from a ruck/rolling maul.

    Apart from that, I agree with you
    Oh I'd forgotten about that! Yes, our goal clearly didn't register the way Deulofeu's hat-trick did! Was I right about Everton on the following Monday? I referenced these two because I was struggling more than usual and they were a real pain to get to and literally sit through the two matches so close together (and the conditions) so they kind of summed up that season for me. I said to my wife on the way to the Watford game that I wanted to Delefeou up close as I think he'll be a real handful. He made mincemeat of us (Morrison).

  16. #36

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Oh I'd forgotten about that! Yes, our goal clearly didn't register the way Deulofeu's hat-trick did! Was I right about Everton on the following Monday? I referenced these two because I was struggling more than usual and they were a real pain to get to and literally sit through the two matches so close together (and the conditions) so they kind of summed up that season for me. I said to my wife on the way to the Watford game that I wanted to Delefeou up close as I think he'll be a real handful. He made mincemeat of us (Morrison).
    As it was not a Bank Holiday, Id say the only reason wed play on a Monday is if it was televised and Im pretty sure that it wasnt , so Im guessing the Everton match was on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Delefeou caused us more problems at Cardiff City Stadium than any other player that season I reckon and I remember that although it finished 3-2, Watford could have scored a hatful at Vicaridge Road as well.

  17. #37

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm with you here. The both times we have been in the Prem have been awful, for a variety of reasons.

    I feel that the six 'plastics' should have been demoted down to the Championship to teach them a lesson. Yes, I know there would be 30 teams in the division next season, but every Championship club would have at least six sell out home games. The added bonus with three up three down, is that only three would be likely to return to the Prem the following. One or two like the arse might even do a Leeds and go down to League 1. Bonus! Seriously though, they should have all been deducted points, thus not allowing them to participate in Europe next season
    It would have to be the points deduction because it would hurt them more and they need that level of punishment though I'm liking your ruthlessness . In the latest edition in When Saturday Comes it states that all signed up to 23-year contracts. They intended to run second-string teams in their own leagues. They were guaranteed an annual income of around 280 million with a broadcasting contract on top of that. And let's not forget that there were to be 15 permanent members of the new EL - the other 3 unamed before it imploded.

  18. #38

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As it was not a Bank Holiday, Id say the only reason wed play on a Monday is if it was televised and Im pretty sure that it wasnt , so Im guessing the Everton match was on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Delefeou caused us more problems at Cardiff City Stadium than any other player that season I reckon and I remember that although it finished 3-2, Watford could have scored a hatful at Vicaridge Road as well.

  19. #39

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As it was not a Bank Holiday, I’d say the only reason we’d play on a Monday is if it was televised and I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t , so I’m guessing the Everton match was on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Delefeou caused us more problems at Cardiff City Stadium than any other player that season I reckon and I remember that although it finished 3-2, Watford could have scored a hatful at Vicaridge Road as well.
    The Everton match was definitely on a Tuesday evening. I had a workshop to attend in Cardiff early the next morning so stayed with my son in the Travelodge just off Queen St. As we left the ground I remember him saying he thought our performance was a load of shite. When I asked him where he heard such a phrase (he was 6), he said "You said it, Daddy!"

  20. #40

    Re: Entertainment or promotion?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    So you'll be perfectly happy if we spend the next 10 years as a mid-table Championship team?
    Thats the best we can hope for at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •