+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Collins - Signing agreed

Re: James Collins

I have concerns

He’s a free, Mick has worked with him before, he scores at Championship level and he’s a similar style backup to Moore. If he signs a 2 year deal I’d be pretty happy with this.

Thought we were focusing on youth?

According to Glen Williams we may be signing Antoine Semenyo's brother as well.
    https://twitter.com/GlenWilliams12/s...195488770?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He’s a free, Mick has worked with him before, he scores at Championship level and he’s a similar style backup to Moore. If he signs a 2 year deal I’d be pretty happy with this.
    on its own it isn't a bad deal I agree, but we really could do with more youth. hopefully whoever else we bring in will give us more of a clue about the direction we are going in.
    if we've signed a striker we need to be moving one or two on, which might not be easy.

there are three things this signing could be :

1: a replacement for Moore
    2: a backup for Moore
    3: we plan to play him and Moore up front

2 is the most palatable option.
    1 is clearly a step back, but might be unavoidable, and better to have a ready made replacement I suppose.

3 might be effective, but it would almost certainly mean that any hopes of transitioning to a more progressive style of football are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    According to Glen Williams we may be signing Antoine Semenyo's brother as well.
    https://twitter.com/GlenWilliams12/s...195488770?s=19
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/...menyos-5344097

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    on its own it isn't a bad deal I agree, but we really could do with more youth. hopefully whoever else we bring in will give us more of a clue about the direction we are going in.
    if we've signed a striker we need to be moving one or two on, which might not be easy.

there are three things this signing could be :

1: a replacement for Moore
    2: a backup for Moore
    3: we plan to play him and Moore up front

2 is the most palatable option.
    1 is clearly a step back, but might be unavoidable, and better to have a ready made replacement I suppose.

3 might be effective, but it would almost certainly mean that any hopes of transitioning to a more progressive style of football are over.
    We have to sign somebody to back up Moore, and everyone at the club has said this. If Moore goes, we need to replace him as well. Collins is here to back up Moore, and if Moore goes I fully expect us to sign a replacement.

While we need more youth, I don't think we should be turning our noses up at a fairly proven goalscorer at this level in a pretty ordinary Luton side.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    He's a free your looking into it to much.
    Free doesn't mean free these days. The fact a player is free means either a huge signing on fee or large wages or a combination of both. It's probably not a bad signing but rather out of kilter with the club's youth policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Free doesn't mean free these days. The fact a player is free means either a huge signing on fee or large wages or a combination of both. It's probably not a bad signing but rather out of kilter with the club's youth policy.
    do we have a youth policy?

since McCarthy took over we've signed Jonny Williams, and been linked with Jordan Rhodes, Cameron Jerome and now James Collins

I thought the policy was more about not spending transfer fees on older players with no resale value and instead paying transfer fees for younger players who can improve and gain value.

We can't just go out signing young players, it seems like a good idea to me to bring in Collins as back up to Moore it's a key position.

Think he is very good as a back up for Moore. He has scored goals everywhere he has been and lots in the lower leagues. Has proven he can score in the championship if not as prolifically for a
    not very good Luton side. He is yet another who is good in the air. We will be a bit of a nightmare for other teams next season. Not sure about his long throw.

Walesonline state he scored 13 goals this term but 3 of those were in the first round of the League Cup against a Norwich side missing 15 first team players: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53955731

Since last summer City have signed 2 of 9 over age of 25 but Mick reportedly wants to bring in experience so that ratio is going to increase. I'm not concerned with singing some players over age of 25 but we've got two young strikers in Watters and Harris waiting for a chance and now being pushed down the pecking order - it feels as if Mick's ready to discard them as not fitting the system he wants to play which is more of a concern.

Regarding Collins: he most naturally fits role of Moore's backup, has scored 10+ goals in this league over last two seasons as well as goals at international level at home to Bulgaria and away to Serbia, and has been coached by Graeme Jones and Nathan Jones so probably is tactically smart - plenty to like about him on paper.

We're unlikely to play much more attractive football next year and unlikely to challenge for promotion until 2022-20223. Collins on a 2 year deal looks like a smart move but Collins on a 4 year suggests we're going in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Walesonline state he scored 13 goals this term but 3 of those were in the first round of the League Cup against a Norwich side missing 15 first team players: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53955731

Since last summer City have signed 2 of 9 over age of 25 but Mick reportedly wants to bring in experience so that ratio is going to increase. I'm not concerned with singing some players over age of 25 but we've got two young strikers in Watters and Harris waiting for a chance and now being pushed down the pecking order - it feels as if Mick's ready to discard them as not fitting the system he wants to play which is more of a concern.

Regarding Collins: he most naturally fits role of Moore's backup, has scored 10+ goals in this league over last two seasons as well as goals at international level at home to Bulgaria and away to Serbia, and has been coached by Graeme Jones and Nathan Jones so probably is tactically smart - plenty to like about him on paper.

We're unlikely to play much more attractive football next year and unlikely to challenge for promotion until 2022-20223. Collins on a 2 year deal looks like a smart move but Collins on a 4 year suggests we're going in the wrong direction.
    plenty of managers will want to sign experience. it works well for them as they are statistically unlikely to be at the club in 2 years time, so they don't see the downside. we need a strong voice at the club to counteract this.

I'm a bit concerned about the players we've signed/been linked with since Mick came in. The squad's got plenty of "experience", the starting 11 against Rotherham on the final day had 1,298 Championship appearances between them, despite the absences of Morrison & Bennett as well as the inclusion of youngsters

Collins is ok as a backup and one off, but being linked with the likes of Rhodes hardly fills me with confidence

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about the players we've signed/been linked with since Mick came in. The squad's got plenty of "experience", the starting 11 against Rotherham on the final day had 1,298 Championship appearances between them, despite the absences of Morrison & Bennett as well as the inclusion of youngsters

Collins is ok as a backup and one off, but being linked with the likes of Rhodes hardly fills me with confidence
    yep, agreed.
    in itself it makes sense as a signing, but if it sets the trend going forward then I would be concerned

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I think the Rhodes think was out of necessity, as Mick thinks Glatzel is dreadful. Let's see what happens. We have a Kane like problem at Cardiff, we're signing a backup to Moore. If we signed a young striker, they'd cost millions. Ashley Fletcher is probably the best one on a free but he's hardly prolific and is injury prone.

Let's see how the window pans out but this is a good signing in isolation.

I think the Rhodes think was out of necessity, as Mick thinks Glatzel is dreadful. Let's see what happens. We have a Kane like problem at Cardiff, we're signing a backup to Moore. If we signed a young striker, they'd cost millions. Ashley Fletcher is probably the best one on a free but he's hardly prolific and is injury prone.

Let's see how the window pans out but this is a good signing in isolation.
    Would happily welcome Fletcher at Cardiff, but as you stated he is injury prone and Cardiff don't need another Vassell.

The advantage with Collins in the short term is that Cardiff would gain a seasoned professional who in the last 4 seasons for Luton Town has had no trouble finding the net. Looking at his two seasons in the Championship for a non prolific Luton Town he is responsible for a 1/4 of their goals.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Twenty nine goals in the last two seasons is pretty impressive - 31 in December though.
    31 goals in December. That's one hell of a Christmas. 😅

If true Collins would be decent and sensible signing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Free doesn't mean free these days. The fact a player is free means either a huge signing on fee or large wages or a combination of both.
    I reckon it does in this case. We might have offered more money than Boro but huge / large won’t apply to a player coming from Luton. Mick gave him his first Irish cap so it’ll be a one to one discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Weird. I've never heard of him. He doesn't seem much to get excited about.
    Never heard him?
    Now that's weird.

Meh

Mike McGrath reporting it is a 2 year deal. He's pretty reliable. I think that's pretty good. Proven goalscorer and if it goes wrong, we're not lumbered with him for years and years.

Mike McGrath reporting it is a 2 year deal. He's pretty reliable. I think that's pretty good. Proven goalscorer and if it goes wrong, we're not lumbered with him for years and years.
    That leaves us with

Moore
    Collins
    Glatzel
    Harris
    Watters
    Vassell

You'd have thought at least 2 of those will need to be moved on

Seems like a reasonable signing all in all.