+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scotlands Josh Taylor

Scotlands Josh Taylor

Has the chance in the early hrs of Sunday morning, in Las Vegas, to become the first British boxer to win all 4 recognised belts in his weight division and be an undisputed world champion.
    Can’t help thinking this would have had a lot more coverage and build up, if he was English.

Re: Scotlands Josh Taylor

Yes that has crept under the radar, however the media does concentrate on the heavies across the globe,its not just an English thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    You wouldn’t have thought so though, with the lack of media coverage. A phenomenal achievement, that almost went under the radar.
    If Anthony Joshua farts, or Harry Kane breaks a nail, it’s front line news.
    Taylor has dedicated his whole life for this moment, and he gets the up most respect, and congratulations from this Taffy. 👍

Dont blame the its because its Scottish.

This wasnt on any UK TV channel and Taylors achievement has been missed even by the Scottish casual boxing fan.

If Taylor was a matchroom fighter Sky and Adam Smith would have been building this up for weeks.

Instead we get served up garbage like Whyte v Povetkin on PPV.

Brilliant achievement by Taylor.

Im glad he won but his out of ring behaviour in the past probably hasnt helped him either.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You wouldn’t have thought so though, with the lack of media coverage.
    It's the main story on the BBC Sport website, which is about right.

Seventeen weight divisions (yes, that's right - seventeen) and four world champions at every weight. Ridiculous, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Seventeen weight divisions (yes, that's right - seventeen) and four world champions at every weight. Ridiculous, isn't it?
    I was alluding more to the build up. Even an hr after the fight finished it didn’t get a mention on Sky sports news headlines.
    As for the multiple weight divisions and 4 belts, it is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the top 4 teams qualifying for the “Champions” league

So confusing and has taken the shine off being World Champion. Similar to the Champions League in a way, four ‘champions’ from some countries taking part. Contradictory in both cases.

The WBC are also introducing a new weight division the Bridgerweight.

It will be for fighters between Cruiser and Heavyweight.

That will make it 18.

Far away from 8 weights and 1 champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Dont blame the its because its Scottish.

This wasnt on any UK TV channel and Taylors achievement has been missed even by the Scottish casual boxing fan.

If Taylor was a matchroom fighter Sky and Adam Smith would have been building this up for weeks.

Instead we get served up garbage like Whyte v Povetkin on PPV.

Brilliant achievement by Taylor.

Im glad he won but his out of ring behaviour in the past probably hasnt helped him either.
    His “out of ring behaviour” was isolated to one evening and one incident, which he very quickly both publicly and personally apologised for.
    Which is more than can be said for the likes of Tyson, Saunders, Fury etc.

The WBC are also introducing a new weight division the Bridgerweight.

It will be for fighters between Cruiser and Heavyweight.

That will make it 18.

Far away from 8 weights and 1 champion.
    That’s why it’s such a big event when the holders of all 4 belts, get it on and we have an undisputed champion.

As for the multiple weight divisions and 4 belts, it is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the top 4 teams qualifying for the “Champions” league
    It's misnamed. But that's it. Having one European football champion is not comparable with potentially having 68 world champions.

There is one of the lower weights that currently has four different world champions. That's farcical.

Media coverage reflects public interest. When I was in my teens and early-twenties, big fights were always a big deal. The pubs would be packed for them. I don't know how many organisations were operating back then, but it felt like most sports fans knew who the British and world champions were at the standard weights. These days, I don't follow it all and it seems a large percentage of sports fans haven't got a clue what's going on with the sport.

I'd never heard of Josh Taylor before today. When I read your thread title I thought it related to somebody who City were interested in. I'm someone who used to enjoy the big fights, but I haven't watched one for many years.

That’s why it’s such a big event when the holders of all 4 belts, get it on and we have an undisputed champion.
    Its a complete disgrace this fight wasnt on.

The whole fight is on YouTube for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes that has crept under the radar, however the media does concentrate on the heavies across the globe,its not just an English thing
    This ^^^

If it isnt Middlewieght ( and i would even say Super middle weight ) or above ( i really only class heavyweight as above in that statement ) the joe-public are not really interested around the world ( maybe apart from south america ) which is strange, I guess the public like to see big men throw big punches at each other ? ? ?

I remember when I was younger thered be fights on Saturday afternoons on Granstand and British title fights really meant something.

The BBC has no interest in broadcasting boxing.

Big fights are normally shown for primetime TV in America meaning a stupid o clock viewing time in the UK.

The BBC has no interest in broadcasting boxing.
    I'm guessing the BBC now has practically no chance of gaining the rights to major world championship fights. Therefore, screening lower-grade contests is less appealing.

In the days before pay-per-view and satellite television, boxing would very regularly be covered on Grandstand and Sportsnight, and all manner of British, European and World championship fights would additionally be screened live. Those days are long gone.

I don't think the BBC has shelved its boxing coverage deliberately. It's just found itself in a position whereby the only fights it could screen are at the lower end of the sport's scale. I suspect the viewing figures for such bouts wouldn't justify the cost.

It's misnamed. But that's it. Having one European football champion is not comparable with potentially having 68 world champions.

There is one of the lower weights that currently has four different world champions. That's farcical.

Media coverage reflects public interest. When I was in my teens and early-twenties, big fights were always a big deal. The pubs would be packed for them. I don't know how many organisations were operating back then, but it felt like most sports fans knew who the British and world champions were at the standard weights. These days, I don't follow it all and it seems a large percentage of sports fans haven't got a clue what's going on with the sport.

I'd never heard of Josh Taylor before today. When I read your thread title I thought it related to somebody who City were interested in. I'm someone who used to enjoy the big fights, but I haven't watched one for many years.
    I absolutely agree with everything you’ve said above. It’s farcical to have so many divisions in one sport. I’ve always been a big boxing fan, but even then, it’s difficult to keep up with the modern fight game.
    I’ve taken a particular interest in Taylor, as i attended one of his early fights whilst on holiday in Scotland. He is a tremendous boxer and has everything in his locker.
    Boxing, like Football has been swamped with greed, which for me, has diluted the event.
    It’s difficult sometimes to adjust to modern day sport, when, like me, you find it hard to forget , the old times and formats 😀

Harry Carpenter

Richard Carpenter

That bloke called Carpenter who directed horror films

The Carpenters

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Harry Carpenter

Richard Carpenter

That bloke called Carpenter who directed horror films

The Carpenters
    Georges Carpentier........that more or less sums up my interest in boxing nowadays, an old fighter’s name that rolled off my tongue whereas currently I can name only a handful.