+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Collins - Signing agreed

Re: James Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Mike McGrath reporting it is a 2 year deal. He's pretty reliable. I think that's pretty good. Proven goalscorer and if it goes wrong, we're not lumbered with him for years and years.
    this signing makes sense. who else should we have got?

We better be quick , Dortmund are monitoring the situation .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That leaves us with

Moore
    Collins
    Glatzel
    Harris
    Watters
    Vassell

You'd have thought at least 2 of those will need to be moved on
    Glatzel will go back to Germany and Mick's said he's not against loaning Harris out (who has just signed a 2 year deal). I think they'll loan out Watters and nobody in their right mind is going to take Vassell off us. Let's just hope the bloke can end his horrible luck with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Seems like a reasonable signing all in all.
    Agreed. He's only here to take the pressure off Moore, which Glatzel couldn't. If he's the main man then it's a different story.

Signed.

Re: James Collins - Signing agreed

Grumbling here - hell be ok (probably the price we should have paid for Gary Madine) but he’s blocking the path of younger players in my opinion

Good news.
    Unless of course he is Moore's projected replacement, in which case, not such good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Mike McGrath reporting it is a 2 year deal. He's pretty reliable. I think that's pretty good. Proven goalscorer and if it goes wrong, we're not lumbered with him for years and years.
    This is what I posted earlier:

"Collins on a 2 year deal looks like a smart move but Collins on a 4 year suggests we're going in the wrong direction."

I was dreading it being a 3 year deal! It's possible that our striking options looks as follows next year:

1. Moore
    2. Harris
    3. Collins
    4. Vassell
    (Watters and Glatzel out on loan.)

That looks so much better than this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Grumbling here - hell be ok (probably the price we should have paid for Gary Madine) but he’s blocking the path of younger players in my opinion
    Which younger players?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Aaron Collins is a better investment than Max Waters. Lewis Collins has done really well.
    Always very Professional.

He'll be the third James Collins to play for the club, after Welsh International James 'Ginge' Collins and Jimmy Collins, a forward to play for us in the late 1930s. We've had two Ken Jones' too, and 2 Eddie Jenkins' and 2 Ray Daniel, and 2 Kevin Lloyds, 2 John Williams'.

But there's only one Peter Whittingham!

Luton’s Twitter account and fan comments here https://twitter.com/lutontown/status...197538820?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    This is what I posted earlier:

"Collins on a 2 year deal looks like a smart move but Collins on a 4 year suggests we're going in the wrong direction."

I was dreading it being a 3 year deal! It's possible that our striking options looks as follows next year:

1. Moore
    2. Harris
    3. Collins
    4. Vassell
    (Watters and Glatzel out on loan.)

That looks so much better than this year.
    Vassell

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Vassell
    Would like to see us find room for him in the teamIN ADDITION TO MOORE.
    This would provideMoore with the support he really needs.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    He'll be the third James Collins to play for the club, after Welsh International James 'Ginge' Collins and Jimmy Collins, a forward to play for us in the late 1930s. We've had two Ken Jones' too, and 2 Eddie Jenkins' and 2 Ray Daniel, and 2 Kevin Lloyds, 2 John Williams'.

But there's only one Peter Whittingham!
    How many Schwinkendorfs have we had?

This pushes Watters even further down the queue. For a reported £1m signing, he could have an incredibly short-lived career at the City.

Don't know a lot about him, I suppose he will replace Glatzel in the back up role. Unless Moore is sold which is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Which younger players?
    Watters and Harris. Feels a bit odd giving Harris a contract extension then signing Collins.

But thinking about this a bit further, this season beat the crap out of Kieffer, the type of player he his must be exhausting and he looked shattered by the end. Having Collins to ease the burden is quite smart, and for a free seems like good business.

You wouldn’t play him and kieffer in the same team so he probably doesn’t impact watters and harris that much

So yeah I’m on board

I think it's a very shrewd signing.
    He could be a ready-made like-for-like replacement for Kieffer should he leave, or provide back up and support to ease the burden that Kieffer has been carrying throughout this season.
    My worry is that the board will be more easily swayed to let Kieffer go.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I love old style messageboards like that

Watters and Harris. Feels a bit odd giving Harris a contract extension then signing Collins.

But thinking about this a bit further, this season beat the crap out of Kieffer, the type of player he his must be exhausting and he looked shattered by the end. Having Collins to ease the burden is quite smart, and for a free seems like good business.

You wouldn’t play him and kieffer in the same team so he probably doesn’t impact watters and harris that much

So yeah I’m on board
    I agree.

So yeah I’m on board
    Looking at his stats in a bit more detail, he's not an exact replica of Moore.
    Doesn't win a particularly high number of aerials (could also be down to the way Luton play), drops deeper, works very hard in pressing - I don't think playing both of them is out of the question.