Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
My neighbours are a family from Palestine. They are by some distance the most friendly neighbours we have. Much more open, talkative and friendly than the local people in my street (Vitoria-Gasteiz, Euskal Herria).

The couple, who have three lovely kids, are studying their PHD here. They are researching the effects of sports in promoting social mobility and welfare. Souleman, the husband has told us some incredible stories of the treatment they have received from the Israelis, truly harrowing and heartbreaking.

I don't know what historical issues the Israelis have with the people of the occupied territories, but the fact perfectly well adjusted and decent people have to go through some of the stuff these people have gone through is just awful.

What I found amazing, aside from the experiences they have had of seeing friends being shot in front of them, is that fact that even within the Palestinian territories, the locals have to go through numerous checkpoints to go from one city to another ....again , this is within Palestine, without even setting foot in Israeli occupied territories. The israeli troops are incredibly zealous and trigger-happy on top of this, so people just don't bother leaving their cities.

He also explained to me how the Israelis use the religious elements as an excuse to continue their actions, but that it actually has very little to do with the situation.....

They are moving back to Palestine in October after three years here in the Basque Country. Their friends think they are mad and that they should stay in Europe, but they are determined to go back and work in education, in order to help their country progress. Proper admirable attitude, fair play.
It would also be honest to point out that In Israel, Muslims can freely run businesses and live there with their families, something I've personally witnessed when I've visited Israel. On the other hand, a Jew found anywhere within the borders of Palenstine is in immediate and constant danger, and he/ she would have to be insane to open a business there.