Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    ...Oscar Wilde rapier like wit and devastating repartee
    Something like that

Feedback

Re: Palestine Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Something like that

I've read through this thread from start to finish and there have been some interesting points raised, as well as some examples of ignorance and trying to win an argument for the sake of it without being properly acquainted with all the facts which is understandable to do as Israel/Palestine is an extremely complicated space. I have spent a lot of time in Israel, West Bank and Gaza, working with NGOs and, during my time there, I have met with Hamas generals, ordinary Gazans, many of whom hate Hamas but are in no position to oppose them, I've met West Bank Palestinian leaders and citizens, Israeli settlers (the vast majority of whom, to pick up a point made earlier, have American accents and no geographical connection to the land). I have also met many Israeli Jews who are completely opposed to the state of Israel, including ultra-orthodox Jews who believe that the Kingdom of Israel should only exist after the coming of the Mashiach, when the Law would be that of the Torah, not the secular law of post 1948 governments. There are also many Israelis who have refused to do military service. They usually get, I think, about 8 months in prison and find it extremely difficult to find employment within Israel thereafter. There are also those people who did serve in the IDF but then joined organisations like Breaking the Silence to expose some of the things that go on a daily and institutional level.

I notice that one poster has resorted to accusations of 'jew-bashing' although he, ironically, is the only person who has used an antisemitic word in the whole thread. It is important not to conflate anti-zionism with antisemitism and if he wants to read some critiques of Israel, he could start by reading Israeli Jews, Ilan Pappe and Gideon Levy, and American Jews, Norman Finkelstein and Noam Chomsky, among many other Jewish writers and academics.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Wiggy View Post
    I've read through this thread from start to finish and there have been some interesting points raised, as well as some examples of ignorance and trying to win an argument for the sake of it without being properly acquainted with all the facts which is understandable to do as Israel/Palestine is an extremely complicated space. I have spent a lot of time in Israel, West Bank and Gaza, working with NGOs and, during my time there, I have met with Hamas generals, ordinary Gazans, many of whom hate Hamas but are in no position to oppose them, I've met West Bank Palestinian leaders and citizens, Israeli settlers (the vast majority of whom, to pick up a point made earlier, have American accents and no geographical connection to the land). I have also met many Israeli Jews who are completely opposed to the state of Israel, including ultra-orthodox Jews who believe that the Kingdom of Israel should only exist after the coming of the Mashiach, when the Law would be that of the Torah, not the secular law of post 1948 governments. There are also many Israelis who have refused to do military service. They usually get, I think, about 8 months in prison and find it extremely difficult to find employment within Israel thereafter. There are also those people who did serve in the IDF but then joined organisations like Breaking the Silence to expose some of the things that go on a daily and institutional level.

I notice that one poster has resorted to accusations of 'jew-bashing' although he, ironically, is the only person who has used an antisemitic word in the whole thread. It is important not to conflate anti-zionism with antisemitism and if he wants to read some critiques of Israel, he could start by reading Israeli Jews, Ilan Pappe and Gideon Levy, and American Jews, Norman Finkelstein and Noam Chomsky, among many other Jewish writers and academics.
    Excellent post. Thanks.

Top post

vivien burke #🌹🥀🇮🇪🇬🇧 🇵🇸🇪🇺 (@vivienburke) Tweeted: https://t.co/tkShblJTCA well done Ireland 🇮🇪 👏👏 https://twitter.com/vivienburke/stat...766363652?s=20

International

I'm not sure that the reason the Muslims hate the Jews is actually explained in the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'm not sure that the reason the Muslims hate the Jews is actually explained in the bible.
    ‘The Muslims’ hate ‘the Jews’?

At least Feedback won’t feel so alone!

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    ‘The Muslims’

Perhaps insensitively put but I was trying to respond to sludge's comment about it being caused by the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Perhaps insensitively put but I was trying to respond to sludge's comment about it being caused by the bible.
    All we do know there is an in bred instructional hatred of Jews that has gone on for centuries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti..._New_Testament

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    All we do know there is an in bred instructional hatred of Jews that has gone on for centuries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti..._New_Testament
    You are the same guy constantly moralising on anti-semitism that commented on a massacre in a New York synagogue that this type of thing has been going on since Billy the Kid, right?

Feedback

What?

Feedback

You missed the sarcasm in my post.

Why do you think his well thought out post was aimed at you?

To be fair Helen has been involved in some serious stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Why do you think his well thought out post was aimed at you?
    Why is Helen a he

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Why is Helen a he
    You can't assume anyone's gender these days

Oooops .

Absolutely right and apologies to Helen, Why do you think her well thought out post was aimed at you?

Feedback

Absolutely right and apologies to Helen, Why do you think her well thought out post was aimed at you?
    You're still assuming their gender.

You're still assuming their gender.
    Not really, I looked at her posting history. Why do you think her well thought out post was aimed at you?

Feedback

Not really, I looked at her posting history. Why do you think her well thought out post was aimed at you?
    What makes you think I do?

What makes you think I do?
    Damn, missed the sarcasm in your post!

International

Jon, when I originally answered this post I did so genuinely, but after re-reading it and in the light of other posts it occurred to me that you were implying/suggesting that I am Islamiphobic
    I cam promise you that nothing could be further from the truth. In fact if you knew me you'd know that the mere idea is ridiculous.

The final stage, I call 'the smarmy retreat'.