+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Palestine Israel

Re: Palestine Israel

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post

Honest question why do posters care about what's happening in countries nowhere near to ours?
    This is a genuine question
    You know how world wars began right?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so what do you think it is about "the Gazans" that means this happens, if not a result of the oppression from Israel?
    Go back to the Palestinian civil war where Hamas took control of Gaza from Fatah.

Whereas Fatah are happy with the peace accord and control the West Bank, acknowledge the state of Israel and receive funding from the US, Russia and the international community, Hamas want to see Israel wiped from the map with an Islamic state in its place

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The people of the West Bank aren’t oppressed? Wow!
    Fatah controls areas A and B (or is it B and C) and have a great deal of autonomy

I don't think it is allowed
    That’s weird

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That’s weird
    Thats because Gaza is de facto in rebellion under Hamas and Israel and Egypt have both sealed it off

Honest question why do posters care about what's happening in countries nowhere near to ours?
    Because we are all part of something bigger than where a red line on a map is drawn.

I care not least because innocent children are being slaughtered by the actions of hate filled adults as we are witnessing in Palestine/Israel today and have witnessed on a huge scale in recent times in Syria. Sadly the surviving siblings of those children will in turn probably become the hate filled adults of tomorrow such as we see in Palestine/Israel today. A self-perpetuating nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I think you missed the point of blue matt's comment. it think he was referring to meeting Israelis rather than Jews.

The problem is that criticism of Israel gets roundly condemned as being anti-semetic, which of course it isnt. Criticism of the nation of Israel is not criticism of the Jewish faith and any attempt to portray it as such is divisive imo.
    I have nothing against the Jewish people at all ( infact I found " Friday night dinner " fairly entertaining ), my reply was in reply to Goats about meeting Israelis and the group i met were horrid people, they must have all finished IDF service and gone travelling and ended up in Sydney, they hated nearly everyone, but as AfricanBluebird points out, we shouldnt think that they are all the same, i was unfortunate to have spent far too many hours in the company of them, as I said I was relieved to have met the Lebanese girl and that gave me a excuse to not speak to them without causing too much offence to my group of mates ( and housemates )

I'm sure there were many people saying the same prior to WWII

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Because we are all part of something bigger than where a red line on a map is drawn.
    very well put

About 35yrs ago I was talking to a daughter of a well-known local person at the time. She was about 22 and had converted to Judaism. She was with her Jewish friend and they'd just returned from the West Bank where they had recently settled. They had taken over the home of a Palestinian family, as was allowed then, and is now. Effectively ethnic cleansing. They must have spent an hour telling me how run-down and shabby the home was and how they would have to make 'improvements'. The fact that they were evicting a family who probably had to scrape together every penny just to survive and make their home habitable for their children didn't cross their mind. Their sense of right and entitlement was in every comment, and has stuck with me all the years that followed as I've seen the tragedies in Palestine unfold.
    The Jewish lobby throughout the West is all-pervading, and influences every single political decision. The Palestinians are not 100% victims, that is true, but the reality is that Israel, with their fundamentalists pulling the strings to no less a degree as the Arab world, can do - and do do - pretty much what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    About 35yrs ago I was talking to a daughter of a well-known local person at the time. She was about 22 and had converted to Judaism. She was with her Jewish friend and they'd just returned from the West Bank where they had recently settled. They had taken over the home of a Palestinian family, as was allowed then, and is now. Effectively ethnic cleansing. They must have spent an hour telling me how run-down and shabby the home was and how they would have to make 'improvements'. The fact that they were evicting a family who probably had to scrape together every penny just to survive and make their home habitable for their children didn't cross their mind. Their sense of right and entitlement was in every comment, and has stuck with me all the years that followed as I've seen the tragedies in Palestine unfold.
    The Jewish lobby throughout the West is all-pervading, and influences every single political decision. The Palestinians are not 100% victims, that is true, but the reality is that Israel, with their fundamentalists pulling the strings to no less a degree as the Arab world, can do - and do do - pretty much what they like.
    Indeed

It is , of course ethnic cleansing

Not on a scale that happened during the balkan war but ethnic cleansing

interesting and terrible anecdote about people taking over Palestinian homes.
    although I would be very careful with words like "all pervading" and talking about Jewish influence

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I have nothing against the Jewish people at all ( infact I found " Friday night dinner " fairly entertaining ), my reply was in reply to Goats about meeting Israelis and the group i met were horrid people, they must have all finished IDF service and gone travelling and ended up in Sydney, they hated nearly everyone, but as AfricanBluebird points out, we shouldnt think that they are all the same, i was unfortunate to have spent far too many hours in the company of them, as I said I was relieved to have met the Lebanese girl and that gave me a excuse to not speak to them without causing too much offence to my group of mates ( and housemates )
    As if to abandon my earlier post about not generalising, all the Lebanese people I've met are lovely people.

I also find Iranian people to be very smart and nice.

Obviously I'm not talking about the extreme factions here that exist in any society.

I think it's ok to generalise if you're saying something nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    As if to abandon my earlier post about not generalising, all the Lebanese people I've met are lovely people.

I also find Iranian people to be very smart and nice.

Obviously I'm not talking about the extreme factions here that exist in any society.

I think it's ok to generalise if you're saying something nice :)
    I dated an Iranian girl for a while and she was lovely.

When I was in Israel the guy showing me some of the religious sites was basically telling me the same thing... his family have now 'returned home' and occupy a former Palestinians house and then ranted about the Arabs. We argued and he ended up walking off. It was awful. Nearly as bad as the evangelical US Christians next to me who had an impromptu prayer meeting while laying their hands on the temple stones praying for them to collapse, as per the biblical prophecy, so the Christ could return. I interrupted his prayer and asked him to wait until I had left before the temple comes crumbling down.

let's nail this

Its fecking religion

But why don’t you all criticise other current civil wars, rather than only worrying about what Israel is doing?

very well put
    My job is drawing lines on maps, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    But why don’t you all criticise other current civil wars, rather than only worrying about what Israel is doing?
    people do - they openly criticise China's treatment of the Uighur Muslims and Myanmar's treatment of the Rohingya.
    the difference is our government is also being openly critical of these things, whereas there is very little pressure on Israel from either the UK or USA governments

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    let's nail this

Its fecking religion
    Religion has a lot to answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Most people do

The assault on the Yemen by UK backed Saudi Arabia is a disgrace

Israeli sympathisers get very defensive

Religion has a lot to answer for.
    Mao 60 million
    Stalin 15 -20 million
    Hitler 10 million.

So has atheism.