Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
I don't know that there are any guarantees. But I prefer rational to irrational beliefs, and think we have no choice than to put our faith (though not in the sense that you would use the word) in people rather than invented supernatural beings. I want governments, pushed by public opinion, to make decisions that prevent climate catastrophe. I don't believe that chanting to some random deity is as effective as collective social and political action for the benefit of humanity and the planet. In the uncertain world of 2021 that seems to me to be the way to go. We are the most creative and destructive life form on this planet and we need to get our act together fast. No delusions. No distractions.
Like you say - "We are the most creative and destructive life form on this planet" - and in doing so you correctly note that despite occasional brilliance, something in man is defective. Apart from Christ, and the Solution that He provides (which doesn't mean chanting at all or an irrational belief in some mythical being), how does saving our environment (even if we succeed) help with our internal human problem?