+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What a difference a day makes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What a difference a day makes

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Boxing day: P 80 W 27 D 27 L 26
    New Year's day: P 35 W 12 D 5 L 18
    Surprised our Boxing Day record is that good Eric because it’s not a day I’ve associated with us winning in the twenty first century much - off the top of my head, the last time I can remember a Boxing Day win was over Palace in our Championship winning season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Surprised our Boxing Day record is that good Eric because it’s not a day I’ve associated with us winning in the twenty first century much - off the top of my head, the last time I can remember a Boxing Day win was over Palace in our Championship winning season.
    This is just games played on Dec 26th, not those moved a day for whatever reasons btw.

In 1999 we beat Reading on Boxing Day. Since then we've won 2 out of 21 fixtures on that day. Palace in 2012 was one, Coventry at home was the other in 2010.

Some stats since 2000 :-

Home games: 12
    Wins: 2
    Draws: 4
    Defeats: 6

Away games: 9
    Wins: 0
    Draws: 6
    Defeats 3

Team played most often: Plymouth (1 draw, 3 defeats).

Plymouth are our most faced opposition on Boxing day. In 7 games against them we've managed 2 draws and lost the rest. We've played Bristol City 5 times, winning 1, losing 1 and drawing 3. In the 5 games played on a Boxing day against the Jacks (all between 1983-89) we've won 3 and drawn 2.

We won 13 of our first 28 Boxing day fixtures, then lost 9 of the next 13. Between 1979-99 we won 10 out of 18 games, only losing 1. Since 2000 our record has been atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I remember us beating Man Utd on Boxing day at Ninian Park 3-0...think it was 1963........I remember because I left my sister's wedding reception in The Philharmonic in Cardiff to go see the game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I remember us beating Man Utd on Boxing day at Ninian Park 3-0...think it was 1963........I remember because I left my sister's wedding reception in The Philharmonic in Cardiff to go see the game!!!
    We definitely didn’t play Man Utd in 1963, we were in different divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    We beat Man Utd 3-0 at home on 26 Nov 1960 and 26 Feb 1955. We lost 3-1 at Old Trafford on Boxing day 1956.

On Boxing day 1963 we lost 4-0 at home to Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We beat Man Utd 3-0 at home on 26 Nov 1960 and 26 Feb 1955. We lost 3-1 at Old Trafford on Boxing day 1956.

On Boxing day 1963 we lost 4-0 at home to Preston.
    Maurice had three 26ths correct I wonder if he’s been sending his sister anniversary cards