+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jacob’s Ladder

Jacob’s Ladder

Apparently a name for short rib beef. I’d never heard of this nickname until today but several friends in England say they’ve always known short rib of beef as Jacob’s Ladder. Is this butcher’s terminology that has simply escaped me?

Re: Jacob’s Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Apparently a name for short rib beef. I’d never heard of this nickname until today but several friends in England say they’ve always known short rib of beef as Jacob’s Ladder. Is this butcher’s terminology that has simply escaped me?
    Probably tastes better than Jacob's Bladder.

So you’re unaware of this nickname then?

Obviously it has.

So you’re unaware of this nickname then?
    Google is your friend.

Well not obviously no Eric. As other friends have also never heard of this nickname. And in reply to TBG I have performed a Google search and there are many references to this being a known name in the U.K. but my evidence is to the contrary. Which is why I’ve put it to a public forum. Feel free to answer the original question!

Jacob's Ladder. Brilliant film. Seen it around half a dozen times over the years. Bought it again on Blu-ray a few weeks ago as it happens.

Agreed. Tim Robbins was superb.

Well not obviously no Eric. As other friends have also never heard of this nickname. And in reply to TBG I have performed a Google search and there are many references to this being a known name in the U.K. but my evidence is to the contrary. Which is why I’ve put it to a public forum. Feel free to answer the original question!
    I don't have a beef with you, old fruit.

Ok good, so you hadn’t heard this nickname before either! Cheers.

https://youtu.be/ODdCXpvhprU

Loved this back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Jacob's Ladder. Brilliant film. Seen it around half a dozen times over the years. Bought it again on Blu-ray a few weeks ago as it happens.
    Films as good dont come around that often....

Bruce Springsteen song

Short ribs are a nice cut of meat, we use it quite often as you tend to get more flavour than a lot of the other cuts.

Ok good, so you hadn’t heard this nickname before either! Cheers.
    I’ve never heard that term used for that purpose before. I would go as to say that it is an uncommon term for it. I walked past the butcher this morning and she had hers labelled as short rib. Which I imagine is what most people call it.

https://youtu.be/z3gvOV40ccU

RUSH , Jacob's Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I’ve never heard that term used for that purpose before. I would go as to say that it is an uncommon term for it. I walked past the butcher this morning and she had hers labelled as short rib. Which I imagine is what most people call it.
    I've seen butcher's calling it a Jacob's Ladder before, but short rib is much more common.

Waitrose do a decent short rib, much better than the typical bland supermarket meat

Great thread this

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Films as good dont come around that often....
    Up there with ‘The Machinist’ (Christian Bale).