+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barnsley - Swansea

Re: Barnsley - Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Must be in the minority but thought it was a really good game. Low on quality but Barnsley caused a lot of problems, just couldn’t find the back of the net.

Give me that over some of the rubbish the PL serves up every day of the week
    To be fair its was an entertaining championship game , as we know real football league with mistakes,passion ,b
    Odd bits of quality, end to end ,stupid fouls, whats not to like in this league?

For a side that finished in the top six, Barnsley received remarkably little coverage on Sky during the regular season and so, besides the two games against us, I've seen barely anything of them this season and I've not been very impressed by them in anything I've watched. I put this down to just not being able to see them on a good day, but, watching them last night, it was hard to imagine how they possibly managed to finish where they did. To be fair, I only lasted until just before half time before falling asleep and, reading the report of the game on the BBC website, it sounds like they played quite a bit better in the second half and were unlucky to lose.

In one of the games I saw on Sky earlier in the season, it was quite impressive how they kept their levels of intensity going through the whole game and, on that day at least, they were a lot better than us in that department, but, based on what I've seen of them, I am left scratching my head somewhat as to how they finished ten points in front of us (I know Surge has said they made very effective use of their substitutes all season long and that's not really something you could say about us) - sometimes the table can lie if we're talking about gaps of a point or two, but not ten, they were definitely a better team than us over the forty six games.

Agree with others about the Swansea goal, I was surprised when the commentators talked about Ayew being clearly onside because it didn't look that way to me.

This thread shows how people can see the same thing and come to entirely different conclusions, because I thought the first match was a pretty good one for a Play Off game, whereas the half I saw of the other one was a, very, boring slog.

Must be in the minority but thought it was a really good game. Low on quality but Barnsley caused a lot of problems, just couldn’t find the back of the net.

Watched both games. Loved them both. Different, yes, but as I've said before I must prefer watching a game of football as opposed to PL footchess.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Even if Swansea win this leg, I don't think this is done and dusted. I'm amazed, in recent years, how many away teams in the second leg do well after losing at home first time around.
    Im hesitant questioning the stat man, but I read only one team in the history of the championship playoffs have lost the first leg at home and gone through.

The second half was entertaining but the quality was very poor

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Im hesitant questioning the stat man, but I read only one team in the history of the championship playoffs have lost the first leg at home and gone through.
    Find out who wrote what you read and shoot the author!!

There have been 204 playoff matches across 3 divisions since the advent of the playoffs in the late 80s.

54 first leg ties have been won by the away side. Of those 54 ties, the away side won the second leg 18 times.

Of those 18 2nd leg away winners:-

4 home sides won on aggregate
    5 home sides lost at home but won on penalties
    8 away sides won on aggregate.
    1 away side won away and won on penalties

Blackpool in 1996, Forest in 2007 and Cheltenham in 2020 all won 2-0 away in their first legs and lost by 3 goals at home to lose on aggregate.

34 sides won their first leg away from home by 1 goal. 10 of those lost at home in the second leg, 4 were saved by winning on penalties.

Yes, winning away in the first leg gives you a big advantage but 1 in 6 sides winning away lose the tie with that ratio being smaller for sides winning by only one goal.

You da man Eric 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You have to look twice to be convinced it didnt go in. One heart stopping moment.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    A superb miss. Remember it well.
    I remember the camera spanning onto Michael Parkinsons face.
    It was a picture

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    I remember the camera spanning onto Michael Parkinsons face.
    It was a picture
    It was unusual to see him speechless.

I remember Swansea fans buying pompey tops when they beat us in the fa Cup and them turning up in Blackpool tops when we lost to them in the play offs

Good for Welsh football ?

Fellow Welsh club ?

I couldn't care less about all that romantic crap , I hope they get stuffed in the replay or lose in the final