+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: County

County

2 up.

A week late, (Got the date right now, thanks Eric)

Re: County

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    2 up.

A week late, (Got the date right now, thanks Eric)
    Great news

I work in the Newport area and a fair chunk of their fans hate us with a passion. I wish them nothing but failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    I work in the Newport area and a fair chunk of their fans hate us with a passion. I wish them nothing but failure.
    Be the bigger man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    I find it quite cute when Newport and Wrexham fans direct a bit of hatred our way. Two irrelevant clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I find it quite cute when Newport and Wrexham fans direct a bit of hatred our way. Two irrelevant clubs.
    Wrexham seem to get on with Cardiff on the whole

Any thread titled Newport County must contain at least one post stating their fans hate us and at least one post calling their club irrelevant.

It should never be said that maybe because we have some fans who see them as irrelevant that they have some fans who hate us.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Wrexham seem to get on with Cardiff on the whole
    Always had a soft spot for Wrexham. They would show up at Wales games.
    Unlike the jacks.

They may dislike us but I found myself wanting them to win.

Imagine in 10 years or so we are both in say the championship, could finally have a proper local rivalry.

Economically, success for them may also boost the cardiff area, some big clubs in league 1, if fans are allowed to travel they may stay here, spend money in the area etc. Every little helps at the moment. Also of course for Newport which would notice any benefit far more.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Any thread titled Newport County must contain at least one post stating their fans hate us and at least one post calling their club irrelevant.

It should never be said that maybe because we have some fans who see them as irrelevant that they have some fans who hate us.
    I have no issue with their fans disliking Cardiff, it makes perfect sense, the bigger city down the road, more successful etc. I just find the one sided nature of the "rivalry" quite funny considering there's a lot of Cardiff fans who want to see Newport do well

Last edited by Rock_Flock_of_Five; 19-05-21 at 11:07. Reason: Double post

I have no issue with their fans disliking Cardiff, it makes perfect sense, the bigger city down the road, more successful etc. I just find the one sided nature of the "rivalry" quite funny considering there's a lot of Cardiff fans who want to see Newport do well
    I'm with you on this

It may have something to do with empathy for Newport and their fans going into administration.

No fan of football likes to see any team fold at any level of the game, particularly if they are an old well established club.

I, and I'd imagine many on here, went to the Cardiff City v Man United fundraiser for them back in 80 something in the hope they could survive.
    Imagine being a fan of theirs in those times.

I personally hope they get to the P/O final and win it.
    Then if we end up in the same division, let the rivalry commence.

Giving it a rugby slant, Wales 'hate' their big brothers next door but I don't know of many England fans who reciprocate this hatred. On the contrary, by and large England fans want Wales to do well, unless they're player against them if course.

So pleased for all my nutty Cwnty mates ,and my god they are nuts (old skool nuts )

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Giving it a rugby slant, Wales 'hate' their big brothers next door but I don't know of many England fans who reciprocate this hatred. On the contrary, by and large England fans want Wales to do well, unless they're player against them if course.
    That is not true at all.

England Rugby fans hate Wales, and particularly hate it when we do well.

I've lived in England since 1989 and have never met any England fans wanting Wales to do well at rugby and since the euros in 16 not many wish is well in football either. Seems we get disliked as soon as we can compete with them

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That is not true at all.

England Rugby fans hate Wales, and particularly hate it when we do well.
    Maybe we mix in different circles because all the English people I know and there are lots of them don't understand this, "I support two teams, Wales and anyone playing England" mantra, when they do like to see Wales doing well. I've seen it for myself on holiday too during the Rugby World Cup when England fans were cheering on Wales during the group matches. Probably not true of English football fans though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    They may dislike us but I found myself wanting them to win.

Imagine in 10 years or so we are both in say the championship, could finally have a proper local rivalry.

Economically, success for them may also boost the cardiff area, some big clubs in league 1, if fans are allowed to travel they may stay here, spend money in the area etc. Every little helps at the moment. Also of course for Newport which would notice any benefit far more.
    The ways things are going you might get your wish of a local derby sooner than 10 years

Maybe we mix in different circles because all the English people I know and there are lots of them don't understand this, "I support two teams, Wales and anyone playing England" mantra, when they do like to see Wales doing well. I've seen it for myself on holiday too during the Rugby World Cup when England fans were cheering on Wales during the group matches. Probably not true of English football fans though.
    we must do, in my experience the English people who are really into their rugby, definitely don't like to see Wales doing well.
    the casual fan maybe isn't bothered as much

Wales are England's rivals and regularly beat them. We haven't played Newport in a league game for over 30 years and Wrexham for nearly 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Wales are England's rivals and regularly beat them. We haven't played Newport in a league game for over 30 years and Wrexham for nearly 20.
    We’ve only ever been in the same division 10 times in our league history, all in the 30’s and 80’s. We’ve played more league games against the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd. Talk to any Cewnty fan and they say we’re massive rivals. I’ve never felt that way about them.

I live in Newport for over 50 years and I’ve never heard anyone consider County or City as massive rivals, in fact most don’t even consider City as rivals of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I live in Newport for over 50 years and I’ve never heard anyone consider County or City as massive rivals, in fact most don’t even consider City as rivals of any kind.
    Hereford , Swindon , Bristol rovers used to be county's rivals

Cardiff have always had a following from Risca, cwmbran , pontypool , Rogerstone, Malpas

I don't know about the city itself

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Hereford , Swindon , Bristol rovers used to be county's rivals

Cardiff have always had a following from Risca, cwmbran , pontypool , Rogerstone, Malpas

I don't know about the city itself
    they're all Liverpool fans