Thread: County

Re: County

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    they're all Liverpool fans
    The Kop Shop has shut now

Maybe they have all started following cewnty

First Team

Always had a soft spot for County and it was not unknown for a fair number of people to watch the teams on alternate Saturdays.
    Not sure that I have really heard anyone call them big rivals as that post was filled by Bristol City for years and now Swansea for most. Local rivals , certainly, when we were in the same division but it was short lived and hardly intense.

That is not true at all.

England Rugby fans hate Wales, and particularly hate it when we do well.
    Completely agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Completely agree with that.
    Absolutely

And Welsh rugby fans hate England

But only in the rugby

Football wise most rugby boys I know are Liverpool or United fans which are of course English clubs

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    It may have something to do with empathy for Newport and their fans going into administration.

No fan of football likes to see any team fold at any level of the game, particularly if they are an old well established club.

I, and I'd imagine many on here, went to the Cardiff City v Man United fundraiser for them back in 80 something in the hope they could survive.
    Imagine being a fan of theirs in those times.

I was there. I'm sure it was November (or thereabouts '76!)

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Kop Shop has shut now

Maybe they have all started following cewnty
    Sadly the feckers haven't. I was in the Queens in Newport and it has a big bar downstairs with huge screens, for the PlastiPool v Real Madrid Champions League Final a few years back. It was rammed wall to wall with plastic scoucers, literally hundreds of them squeezed into the place like sardines. Oh how I laughed when Bale scored and Madrid ran out the eventual winners

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sadly the feckers haven't. I was in the Queens in Newport and it has a big bar downstairs with huge screens, for the PlastiPool v Real Madrid Champions League Final a few years back. It was rammed wall to wall with plastic scoucers, literally hundreds of them squeezed into the place like sardines. Oh how I laughed when Bale scored and Madrid ran out the eventual winners
    they must have been gutted

That is not true at all.

England Rugby fans hate Wales, and particularly hate it when we do well.
    I think you're right, but apart from along the M4 corridor, rugby isn't all that popular a sport in England - there aren't great numbers of big rugby fans in England like there are in South Wales. I have family that have lived in the West Midlands for several years and tournaments like the 6 nations don't seem that big a deal to the locals, unless England do well. If you go up north, then rugby union isn't a sport bothered with much at all. Bit like North Wales, really.

If they don't go up and that Josh Sheehan leaves, I wouldn't be averse to Cardiff taking a punt on him for a low wage. Looks like a fairly tidy player and didn't look out of place for Wales against Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    If they don't go up and that Josh Sheehan leaves, I wouldn't be averse to Cardiff taking a punt on him for a low wage. Looks like a fairly tidy player and didn't look out of place for Wales against Mexico.
    seems tidy enough for Wales, if unspectacular.
    He's out of contract in the summer as well.

Why were Newport at home for the first leg when they finished above Forest Green??

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Why were Newport at home for the first leg when they finished above Forest Green??
    They can’t be at home the same day as Liverpool, the other local team in Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    We’ve only ever been in the same division 10 times in our league history, all in the 30’s and 80’s. We’ve played more league games against the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd. Talk to any Cewnty fan and they say we’re massive rivals. I’ve never felt that way about them.
    I remember that last league game towards the end of the season we went up in 88, 4 nil, they were on their way to oblivion. Think they had about 300 fans at NP.

Think pre-80s city fans bear no ill will towards the county with many, in my experience Cardiff based supporters, often going to Somerton to take in games relatively frequently. Post-90s supporters probably have a similar viewpoint, except they likely didn’t go to any games there when they were bobbing about in non-league.

I do understand city fans coming of age in the 80s thinking of them in a different way. If both clubs played each other more frequently over a few decades I think this fixture would eventually eclipse the city/jacks as the South Wales derby for most supporters, save for the Neath/Port Talbot bluebirds.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I remember that last league game towards the end of the season we went up in 88, 4 nil, they were on their way to oblivion. Think they had about 300 fans at NP.
    I was at that game too. County’s support at the game was pitiful, but in fairness they were already doomed and fielded a team largely of kids.

A bloke I work with is from Usk and has always maintained that City are Newport's biggest rivals. I've never understood it.

It's like Carmarthen Town claiming their rivals are Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    A bloke I work with is from Usk and has always maintained that City are Newport's biggest rivals. I've never understood it.

It's like Carmarthen Town claiming their rivals are Swansea.
    He’s dreaming....they’ve never really been on our radar which is crazy if you consider we almost meet at the border of each city.
    A brief rivalry born out of hooliganism in the 80’s is all it ever was.