Thread: Ninian Park Memories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ninian Park Memories

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Colin
    No, Terry

I remember late sixties early seventies two asian looking guys father and son at every single home game,they never missed a match. Older fans surelywould remember them.You knew where they were as there was aways a cloud of smoke where they inhaled umteen fags during the game. The son still goes but his dad sadly passed away a good few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I remember late sixties early seventies two asian looking guys father and son at every single home game,they never missed a match. Older fans surelywould remember them.You knew where they were as there was aways a cloud of smoke where they inhaled umteen fags during the game. The son still goes but his dad sadly passed away a good few years ago.
    I remember them, on the Bob Bank as I recall, so I'm talking about around the mid seventies. You're right about the fags and the older one always used to shout "hold them out Cardiff" which I presumed meant don't concede (which would have fitted in with how crap we were at the time!), but I suppose it could have meant something else!

Talking of programme sellers and going back a long, long time, I can remember there always being one by each of the old Whore's Bed and Ninian Park pubs as well.

Signs advertising Bif-Baf Bingo (whatever that was) Golden Goal Tickets. The olfactory cocktail of manky pasties and people chewing Juicy Fruit where the Grange End met the Bob Bank. A tree growing out of the wall at the rear of the Ninian Stand. The rusty floodlights. And last but not least, the sight of steam rising from the roofless, breeze-block Pissoir where the Bob Bank met the Ninian Stand. And who said romance is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I remember them, on the Bob Bank as I recall, so I'm talking about around the mid seventies. You're right about the fags and the older one always used to shout "hold them out Cardiff" which I presumed meant don't concede (which would have fitted in with how crap we were at the time!), but I suppose it could have meant something else!

Talking of programme sellers and going back a long, long time, I can remember there always being one by each of the old Whore's Bed and Ninian Park pubs as well.
    What ??

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What ??
    It was called the Boar’s Head.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was called the Boar’s Head.

Well known local Spoonerism.

Cold wintry nights.
    Walk down Sloper Road form bus station
    Chips half way
    Sneak into Ninian for under age drink ( if lucky )
    Turn corner see the lights which lit up the sky then much more than now .
    Shout abuse at the incoming Barry and Valley trains.
    Sing songs about coppers and the wives
    Especially enjoy those wonderful European games .
    Always in the grange for the fun
    Bovril
    Peeing under the stand

Such politically correct times