+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ninian Park Memories

Re: Ninian Park Memories

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was called the Boar’s Head.

Well known local Spoonerism.

Seeing us come from 4-1 down half time to beat Plymouth 5-4 in league cup 1986. I’m sure it was 5-4 but 11v11 internet site says it was 6-4?
    think it was frank burrows first game in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Seeing us come from 4-1 down half time to beat Plymouth 5-4 in league cup 1986. I’m sure it was 5-4 but 11v11 internet site says it was 6-4?
    Incredible game . I was on telly running around like an idiot at the front of the bob bank .

Won the away leg with a cross from David Giles that sailed over the goalies head .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Incredible game . I was on telly running around like an idiot at the front of the bob bank .

Won the away leg with a cross from David Giles that sailed over the goalies head .
    Agreed, incredible game I seem to recall Nigel Vaughan having a stormer second half and playing a major role in the turn around

Agreed, incredible game I seem to recall Nigel Vaughan having a stormer second half and playing a major role in the turn around
    Great little player on his day

Great little player on his day

He signed for City from County along with Karl Elsey as part of a mass transfer deal with Linden Jones, Tarki Micallef and John Lewis going the other way.

Wow what a jolt when I opened that up ! Didn't know what to expect and all of a sudden I'm confronted by a face that transported me back to the 70's in an instant. I didn't know the chap but gathered he probably had issues. Certainly a bit of a character and nice to read the kind memories people had of him.

Here's a Ninian Park memory for you. Great footage. I'm there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VquhlVInsdk

Colin
    ...hello Colin..

It was definitely 5-4, it was blowing a gale like the one that kept me awake through much of last night.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Here's a Ninian Park memory for you. Great footage. I'm there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VquhlVInsdk
    The pitch wasn't too bad at that stage of 71/72, but it was dreadful through the winter and was probably one of the reasons why we struggled so much that year.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...hello Colin..
    How's the er.....How's the wife and family ?

One memory I have of Nigel Vaughan was one game where he effectively was our physio for the day. He wasn't playing that day but one of our players went down injured. No medical bag, no spray, no gloves. Nigel ran onto the pitch to treat the injured player with a saturated sponge dripping from a carrier bag.

The pitch wasn't too bad at that stage of 71/72, but it was dreadful through the winter and was probably one of the reasons why we struggled so much that year.
    The appalling quality of pitches during the 1960s is amazing. Some videos show players trying to kick the ball around a mud bath. I don't know how they even kept their feet, let alone kick a ball. Don't see that much any more. Grass maintenance technology must have improved.

How's the er.....How's the wife and family ?
    ...****

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

BIF and BAF tickets

Scalding bovril and a hot pasty.

The supporters club behind the Canton

Roofless urinals, open to the sky....

The smell of piss and Peter's pies as you came through the turnstiles

Don't know which was worst

Here's a nice little video of Ninian Park through the years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVnXvsAIY8w

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Roofless urinals, open to the sky....
    Imagine how much worse the smell would have been if those urinals had been enclosed?

Probably the only time they ever got cleaned was when there was a downpour!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    The appalling quality of pitches during the 1960s is amazing. Some videos show players trying to kick the ball around a mud bath. I don't know how they even kept their feet, let alone kick a ball. Don't see that much any more. Grass maintenance technology must have improved.
    It was a feature of my research for Real Madrid and all that how many Ninian Park pitches were either mud heaps, frozen or a combination of both through the winter months of the 70/71 season, but, by and large, we did well on the heavier or frozen pitches, whereas in the spring when the mud dried and the pitch hardened a bit we didn't play as well - the very expensive 1-0 defeat against Watford was played on a dustbowl of a pitch.

It was a feature of my research for Real Madrid and all that how many Ninian Park pitches were either mud heaps, frozen or a combination of both through the winter months of the 70/71 season, but, by and large, we did well on the heavier or frozen pitches, whereas in the spring when the mud dried and the pitch hardened a bit we didn't play as well - the very expensive 1-0 defeat against Watford was played on a dustbowl of a pitch.
    More expensive than the Watford defeat were (from cloudy memory) 3 away losses on the trot between selling Toshack and signing Warboys.
    Had we signed a replacement striker sas soon as we knew Toshack was leaving, we may have gone up.
    But the board at the time thought a "successful 2nd div side " was more important than a "struggling 1st div side".
    And maybe the 3-1 win over Blackburn helped them with that . ("Toshack is a reject" was the chant of that first game without him.)

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    More expensive than the Watford defeat were (from cloudy memory) 3 away losses on the trot between selling Toshack and signing Warboys.
    Had we signed a replacement striker sas soon as we knew Toshack was leaving, we may have gone up.
    But the board at the time thought a "successful 2nd div side " was more important than a "struggling 1st div side".
    And maybe the 3-1 win over Blackburn helped them with that . ("Toshack is a reject" was the chant of that first game without him.)
    We beat Blackburn 4-1

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We beat Blackburn 4-1
    I thought I posted that. Finger trouble.