Thread: Ninian Park Memories

Ninian Park Memories

Same bloke, same spot on sloper road, just before the canton stand

Every home game

Money spinner lottery tickets!

Probably dead now

Poor old sod

Re: Ninian Park Memories

I didn't sit in the grandstand very often (Cup games mainly), but I can still recall this guy wandering round, shouting "Programmes, Lottery tickets, and the book!". I think this was one of John Crooks' books of players.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I didn't sit in the grandstand very often (Cup games mainly), but I can still recall this guy wandering round, shouting "Programmes, Lottery tickets, and the book!". I think this was one of John Crooks' books of players.
    John Crook from Abergavenny?

The buzz I used to get walking down Sloper Rd and then walking up the steps into the Grange End and then Block A Grandstand, can't be replicated.

I miss that place so badly

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    John Crook from Abergavenny?
    John Crooks died about 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I’m lucky to have his history of Cardiff City book he wrote. An excellent read! I also have TOBW follow up book, another excellent read!

Always remember the program seller on corner of Leckwith Close. Was there every game for years. Also seeing John Reynolds on his bike. Still see him ride away from the CCS on match day. Always before the game for some reason though.

Same bloke, same spot on sloper road, just before the canton stand

Every home game

Money spinner lottery tickets!

Probably dead now

Poor old sod
    I remember him shouting money spinner tickets.
    The fella in the police hat
    A short fella with a dai cap and big side burns wearing bicycle clips on an old push bike by ther Canton

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    A short fella with a dai cap and big side burns wearing bicycle clips on an old push bike by ther Canton
    The fella with the plastic police hat was from ely hospital . The police riot van used to pick him up before home games

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Always remember the program seller on corner of Leckwith Close. Was there every game for years. Also seeing John Reynolds on his bike. Still see him ride away from the CCS on match day. Always before the game for some reason though.
    he did a lot of running in his string vest

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    the one from Abergavenny?

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The buzz I used to get walking down Sloper Rd and then walking up the steps into the Grange End and then Block A Grandstand, can't be replicated.

I miss that place so badly
    I never thought I would say it but so do I

All that rust

he did a lot of running in his string vest
    He did. He was on the bins I believe? When being a bin man was hard graft. Fit as a fiddle!

The bloke in the coppers hat was a patient at Ely Hospital. Apparently, the police would pick him up on their way to a game. This at a time when up and dab was a regular occurrence at NP. Could you imagine the NHS and South Wales Police sanctioning something similar today Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    He did. He was on the bins I believe? When being a bin man was hard graft. Fit as a fiddle!
    often saw him running along the road by Llandaff tech

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The bloke in the coppers hat was a patient at Ely Hospital. Apparently, the police would pick him up on their way to a game. This at a time when up and dab was a regular occurrence at NP. Could you imagine the NHS and South Wales Police sanctioning something similar today Brilliant!
    Colin

First Team

Radio Ninian ( I think it was called that) in the corner of the Grange/ Grandstand pre the wings being added.
    The little tea hut where the Canton met the Bob Bank and the always empty ST Johns first aid office at the top of the walkway from the Canton end turnstiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Radio Ninian ( I think it was called that) in the corner of the Grange/ Grandstand pre the wings being added.
    The little tea hut where the Canton met the Bob Bank and the always empty ST Johns first aid office at the top of the walkway from the Canton end turnstiles.
    During the eighties, City didn't pay St Johns for nearly five years. No wonder it was empty!

Colin
    No, Terry

I remember late sixties early seventies two asian looking guys father and son at every single home game,they never missed a match. Older fans surelywould remember them.You knew where they were as there was aways a cloud of smoke where they inhaled umteen fags during the game. The son still goes but his dad sadly passed away a good few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I remember late sixties early seventies two asian looking guys father and son at every single home game,they never missed a match. Older fans surelywould remember them.You knew where they were as there was aways a cloud of smoke where they inhaled umteen fags during the game. The son still goes but his dad sadly passed away a good few years ago.
    Bob bank ?

Remember two Asian blokes , heavy smokers on the Bob Bank, just below the TV tower , old fella had no teeth , come on the city he would cry !

God bless him , what a character

blimey that pic takes me back, i remember him in his hat and always spotless and dressed up to the nines... top lad

The chap with the sideburns is John Reynolds who's mentioned elsewhere in this thread. When I was with Inter Cardiff he was a ballboy and he was about 55 then. He used to come over for a chat and would put his chewing gum behind his ear while he was talking. As far as I remember, he owns a house on Western Avenue that had been left to him.
    I first met him about 60 years ago when I used to watch the City training in the school holidays and he would be down there every day. He had the same hair style then, there was just more of it.