+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ninian Park Memories

Re: Ninian Park Memories

yeah i remember him, i grew up born and bred on lansdowne rd track side by the pub and would see him riding what looked to be like a raleigh bomber style bike with wide handle bars...

the other fella i was thinking of when someone said running in a string vest, but im getting confused with another chap who used to run everywhere in a shirt and trousers, more of a shuffle than a run but somehow he popped into my mind... legends both of them

dont see gems like this no more, like the captain in his flower filled ford grenada... i used to live across the rd from him in my teens, he used to stop me in the street for long chats, he was like a pimped out yoda, full of super knoledge and wisdom, great gent

Another character I remember down the City in prehistoric times invariably seemed to be selling "Charlie Buchan's Football Monthly" which he'd be shouting out before and after games and at half time. I enjoyed the magazine from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    The chap with the sideburns is John Reynolds who's mentioned elsewhere in this thread. When I was with Inter Cardiff he was a ballboy and he was about 55 then. He used to come over for a chat and would put his chewing gum behind his ear while he was talking. As far as I remember, he owns a house on Western Avenue that had been left to him.
    I first met him about 60 years ago when I used to watch the City training in the school holidays and he would be down there every day. He had the same hair style then, there was just more of it.
    I grew up in Aldsworth Road, which is just off Western Avenue. Used to see John running or on his bike all the time around there. I said earlier in the thread he might have worked on the bins. Definitely worked for the council though.
    Think he made a significant contribution to signing Phil Brignull, as the club couldn’t afford him.

A very wet Tuesday night, 0-0 v Barnet, empty stadium. There was a hole in the Bob Bank roof and a waterfall pouring through it. 2 people sat underneath the deluge as that was their seats, no one around them for 20 seats in any direction.

Oh and that black tar stuff on the top of the wall at the front of the Grange End to discourage you from climbing over the wall

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I remember late sixties early seventies two asian looking guys father and son at every single home game,they never missed a match. Older fans surelywould remember them.You knew where they were as there was aways a cloud of smoke where they inhaled umteen fags during the game. The son still goes but his dad sadly passed away a good few years ago.
    I remember them, on the Bob Bank as I recall, so I'm talking about around the mid seventies. You're right about the fags and the older one always used to shout "hold them out Cardiff" which I presumed meant don't concede (which would have fitted in with how crap we were at the time!), but I suppose it could have meant something else!

Talking of programme sellers and going back a long, long time, I can remember there always being one by each of the old Whore's Bed and Ninian Park pubs as well.

Signs advertising Bif-Baf Bingo (whatever that was) Golden Goal Tickets. The olfactory cocktail of manky pasties and people chewing Juicy Fruit where the Grange End met the Bob Bank. A tree growing out of the wall at the rear of the Ninian Stand. The rusty floodlights. And last but not least, the sight of steam rising from the roofless, breeze-block Pissoir where the Bob Bank met the Ninian Stand. And who said romance is dead?

Oops. Accidental duplicate post deleted.

How do you post photos from your phone onto this thread?

Get Outlook for Android

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Think he made a significant contribution to signing Phil Brignull, as the club couldn’t afford him.
    Could be right as I was told he had inherited a few bob. He used to be on the main gates to the officials' car park a lot and it always amused me that visiting teams would arrive and managers would frequently say "hello John" when they saw him.

The chap with the sideburns is John Reynolds who's mentioned elsewhere in this thread. When I was with Inter Cardiff he was a ballboy and he was about 55 then. He used to come over for a chat and would put his chewing gum behind his ear while he was talking. As far as I remember, he owns a house on Western Avenue that had been left to him.
    I first met him about 60 years ago when I used to watch the City training in the school holidays and he would be down there every day. He had the same hair style then, there was just more of it.
    often saw him running along western avenue

the old days of the football special trains bringing in away fans and the youngsters running up to the open back to welcome them

Ravenelli, the grey haired chief steward

Really good guy , Bridgend Bluebird

Cold wintry nights.
    Walk down Sloper Road form bus station
    Chips half way
    Sneak into Ninian for under age drink ( if lucky )
    Turn corner see the lights which lit up the sky then much more than now .
    Shout abuse at the incoming Barry and Valley trains.
    Sing songs about coppers and the wives
    Especially enjoy those wonderful European games .
    Always in the grange for the fun
    Bovril
    Peeing under the stand

Such politically correct times

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    often saw him running along the road by Llandaff tech
    Exactly where I used to see him.

Re. The Asian Dad and son, he used to sit his son on the barrier with the chain link fencing on separating the boys’ enclosure from the rest of the Grangetown End in the 60s, always had a fag on the go. We used to call John, the cyclist, Jim Fryatt after the footballer of that time with the bushy sideboards.

I suppose it helped to be 11 years old in 1968 and showing up at Ninian Park for the first time, but everything seemed so exciting and fresh. Even something as ordinary as people hawking team rosettes, or the match programme, added to an atmosphere of excitement. Those rickety old turnstiles where I handed over my tenpence, those trough-style urinals, turning the corner into the Grange End and seeing the vast green field, Dave Carver's massive thighs instilling confidence during warmups, it was all so . . . tribal. I was so envious of that press box up in the corner. They got in for free! LOL.

Who else had a blue and white rattle? I even used to take mine to reserve games. I remember one season when I think the reserves won their Football Combination division and the whole ground would be open for Saturday afternoon games. Up front after signing from Worcester City was Harry Knowles who was prolific in the reserves but never made it at first team level. He eventually went back to Worcester for £2000 plus Peter King in exchange!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I remember them, on the Bob Bank as I recall, so I'm talking about around the mid seventies. You're right about the fags and the older one always used to shout "hold them out Cardiff" which I presumed meant don't concede (which would have fitted in with how crap we were at the time!), but I suppose it could have meant something else!

Talking of programme sellers and going back a long, long time, I can remember there always being one by each of the old Whore's Bed and Ninian Park pubs as well.
    What ??

Who else had a blue and white rattle? I even used to take mine to reserve games. I remember one season when I think the reserves won their Football Combination division and the whole ground would be open for Saturday afternoon games. Up front after signing from Worcester City was Harry Knowles who was prolific in the reserves but never made it at first team level. He eventually went back to Worcester for £2000 plus Peter King in exchange!
    Died last year:

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/spor...-knowles-dies/

Having to kick off home games at 2pm because we couldn't afford the floodlights to be switched on

Oldham fans getting completely drenched with the heaviest rainstorm I have ever seen lashing down on the uncovered Grange end 😳

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What ??
    It was called the Boar’s Head.

The Cardiff, ‘bang bang’, Cardiff ‘bang bang’, Cardiff ‘bang bang’ chant (the bang bang being the back heeling of the sheeting at the back of the Bob Bank), particularly loud during our early ECWC games, before the Grangetown End became our ‘end.