Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
Well here is a moral question for everyone. forget politics and think about this.

I think we all recognise that there are a great number of people who work hard, do their best for their families sometimes in difficult circumstances and through no fault of their own cannot make ends meet, and never seem to get any further forward. We would all I think wan t to do as much as possible to help these people.
But we all also know that there are those who are just bone idle, wasteful and quite content to sit on their arses in the full knowledge that the state will give them stuff. Feckless is a word I've seen used on here before.

If there was some way perfected that enabled us (The gov of the day/ or whoever) to identify beyond doubt who the idle wasteful ones were who were draining money from the pot meant for the deserving poor, what would you do about it if you had the power?
Try to make sure that "deserving cases" got the money that was due to them. However, I would have a problem deciding what a deserving case was and certainly wouldn't trust a Government to come up with a fair definition as to what constitutes a "feckless" individual - based on the prevailing mood of fear and mistrust these days, it wouldn't be a fair one.