+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City away trips from hell

Re: City away trips from hell

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Orient 88...first ever away game caught the train to London on my own, clueless 17 yrs old. Saw a few I knew at central so tagged along. Walking through train looking for seats and a whole carriage of old jacks or Newport just started belting us all so had to jump off moving train to escape. Got to London late, as we got off tube there must have been 80 West Ham fans just standing staring at us (game with Chelsea was called off or something weird). Only about 8 of us trying to be cool as coins rained down. Never ran so fast in my life to the ground as they came after us. They’d just had a kicking off the 300 city fans queuing to get in. Major pitch invasion by city fans at end of game, chased West Ham fans who had come to game out of ground, stabbings outside after match. Boy was I glad to get home that day. Right baptism of fire....
    that was the game that could have taken us to Wembley

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    that was the game that could have taken us to Wembley
    Yeah we lost 4.1 I think....no one was really watching the game

Yeah we lost 4.1 I think....no one was really watching the game
    It was basically a fight with a football match on in the background for those who got bored

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5193656]It was basically a fight with a football match on in the background for those
    provocative ****er

Reading this thread makes me so glad going to football matches is safer for all and the type of b*llox described has stopped. I never want to see it return.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Reading this thread makes me so glad going to football matches is safer for all and the type of b*llox described has stopped. I never want to see it return.
    Yup, and back then, it would happen even if you weren't looking for it. The worst places were the shitty northern towns, rochdale, Stockport, Burnley etc, especially if we didn't have a sizeable away support, you would stand out, and the locals would bother you. Mansfield was always a nasty little shithole.

Orient 88...first ever away game caught the train to London on my own, clueless 17 yrs old. Saw a few I knew at central so tagged along. Walking through train looking for seats and a whole carriage of old jacks or Newport just started belting us all so had to jump off moving train to escape. Got to London late, as we got off tube there must have been 80 West Ham fans just standing staring at us (game with Chelsea was called off or something weird). Only about 8 of us trying to be cool as coins rained down. Never ran so fast in my life to the ground as they came after us. They’d just had a kicking off the 300 city fans queuing to get in. Major pitch invasion by city fans at end of game, chased West Ham fans who had come to game out of ground, stabbings outside after match. Boy was I glad to get home that day. Right baptism of fire....
    Forgot all about this game. Think I was on an official bus luckily.

That Q. P. R match I went up with Adar Glas supporters club and won a signed Q.P.R ball signed by all the players in a raffle draw.
    QPR were my 2nd team back then and I was buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Forgot all about this game. Think I was on an official bus luckily.
    Yeah it didn’t help matters that West Ham v Chelsea was called off for some reason, they came to the game with us then....and Chelsea fans were around Paddington if I recall rightly....