+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Premier League final day

Re: Premier League final day

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    honestly give me the championship any day of the week
    The Championship this season was utter garbage, as evidenced by the fact that a functional Norwich side were able to walk away with it while sides as desperately limited as Swansea and Barnsley were able to make play-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Sort of makes you wonder if it's all fixed, doesn't it?
    Only if you're a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The Championship this season was utter garbage, as evidenced by the fact that a functional Norwich side were able to walk away with it while sides as desperately limited as Swansea and Barnsley were able to make play-offs.
    The sides coming down performed badly too, 29 points keeps you up....

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Agreed. I did think we were going to see a couple of different sides making the CL places this year, but no, it's the same old faces.
    It's almost as if the biggest, wealthiest clubs have an advantage over the others. Crazy stuff. That doesn't happen in other countries, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The sides coming down performed badly too, 29 points keeps you up....
    Nope. Read that several times and still don't understand it.

Nope. Read that several times and still don't understand it.
    You didn’t get many o levels did you?

You didn’t get many o levels did you?
    Explain it to me.

Two of the three sides who came down went straight back up. The other made the play-offs.

As for '29 points keeps you up', I have no idea what that means.

Explain it to me.

Two of the three sides who came down went straight back up. The other made the play-offs.

As for '29 points keeps you up', I have no idea what that means.
    No I won’t sorry

I think that's a bit harsh on Norwich, they've been a lot more than functional. don't Be fooled by their terrible premier League season the last time around.
    they have a core of players who were likely to be playing premier League football next season even if Norwich didn't go up.
    Aarons pukki, cantwell and Buendia would all have been snapped up.
    either of the Cardiff sides to have won promotion - there weren't clubs queueing up to pick apart any of our any of our championship sides.

they will have a battle to keep Buendia as it is, who is one of the best players at this level in years, has even just been given an Argentina cap. I think he'll go to a top half premier League side for close to 50m

No I won’t sorry
    I'm not surprised. It would be a quite a job.

Swansea were a decent mid table side who had a good run of results, and Barnsley a very effective one dimensional side.
    I don't think it has been weak this year at all though.

usually the sides who come down there are one or two who are in a complete mess, with a bloated squad of overpaid players who can't contribute. none of the relegated clubs this time around were in that kind of a mess. they were all able to keep together enough quality in their teams to be very strong at this level. I do fear it is the shape of things to come as well

I think that's a bit harsh on Norwich, they've been a lot more than functional.
    Norwich spent much of the season winning games by the odd goal. They rarely battered anyone. Indeed, during the first half of the season they only managed to beat two teams by two clear goals - Bristol City (3-1) and Cardiff (2-0). They were good, solid, organised and had that bit of quality that most teams this season lacked, but they were by no means special.

Swansea were a decent mid table side who had a good run of results
    A good run of results? Swansea were in the top six almost all of the season.

Norwich spent much of the season winning games by the odd goal. They rarely battered anyone. Indeed, during the first half of the season they only managed to beat two teams by two clear goals - Bristol City (3-1) and Cardiff (2-0). They were good, solid, organised and had that bit of quality that most teams this season lacked, but they were by no means special.
    they got 97 points

they got 97 points
    Indeed. A functional Norwich side was able to gather 97 points due to the fact that the Championship was largely rubbish this season.

I'm not surprised. It would be a quite a job.

It’s too late for my brain to process what I was trying to say

A good run of results? Swansea were in the top six almost all of the season.
    yeah but throughout the season they outperformed their stats, they seemed to have a knack of picking up wins from games they had no right to. dodgy last minute penalties etc.
    great habit to have but not a repeatable one in the long run

Indeed. A functional Norwich side was able to gather 97 points due to the fact that the Championship was largely rubbish this season.
    or a really good Norwich side, with a core of premier League quality players won a decent quality championship

yeah but throughout the season they outperformed their stats

Throughout the season Swansea were one of the top six sides in the division. They entered the top six after game 3. They were still in the top six after game 46.

or a really good Norwich side, with a core of premier League quality players won a decent quality championship
    If you genuine believe this season's Championship was 'decent quality', then nothing I'm going to say is likely to change your mind. You're deluded, but no doubt you'll find some bizarre set of stats that will 'prove' otherwise.

Throughout the season Swansea were one of the top six sides in the division. They entered the top six after game 3. They were still in the top six after game 46.
    that doesn't mean they didn't outperform their stats

that doesn't mean they didn't outperform their stats
    The phrase 'outperform their stats' is idiotic.

great habit to have but not a repeatable one in the long run
    They apparently managed to repeat it from game 1 until the play-off final.

The phrase 'outperform their stats' is idiotic.
    weren't you just saying that Norwich were average despite getting 97 points? as they picked up a lot of single goal wins?

weren't you just saying that Norwich were average despite getting 97 points? as they picked up a lot of single goal wins?
    No, I didn't say they were average. They were clearly well above average in what was a desperately poor division. I said they were functional. They got the job done regularly, but narrowly more often than not. They rarely blew teams away because they were functional rather than spectacular.