+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds United

Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds United

Leeds United's 3-1 victory over West Brom today meant they finished the Premier League season on 59 points - the highest tally by a newly-promoted side in 20 years.

They also finished with 62 goals scored - a new record for a promoted club in a 38-game Premier League season. Indeed, they scored four more goals than fourth-placed Chelsea.

Earlier in the season, I can remember some of our regular contributors claiming that Leeds had a glorified Championship squad that would be found out as the 20/21 campaign wore on. They clearly didn't and they certainly weren't.

Re: Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds United

Their style of football is easy on the eye too

Still doesn’t mean we have to like them thou’

Proved me wrong, I expected them to tire.I think over the past 11 games they would be top. Why have Bielsa never managed a top top European side?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Leeds United's 3-1 victory over West Brom today meant they finished the Premier League season on 59 points - the highest tally by a newly-promoted side in 20 years.

They also finished with 62 goals scored - a new record for a promoted club in a 38-game Premier League season. Indeed, they scored four more goals than fourth-placed Chelsea.

Earlier in the season, I can remember some of our regular contributors claiming that Leeds had a glorified Championship squad that would be found out as the 20/21 campaign wore on. They clearly didn't and they certainly weren't.
    Didnt we beat them 3.0 about 9 months ago too?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Didnt we beat them 3.0 about 9 months ago too?
    2-0, eleven months ago. Goals by Junior Hoilett and Robert Glatzel. Remember them?

Bamford has had an incredible season.

Didn't think he was anywhere near good enough.

Certainly don't expect them to struggle as much as Sheffield United did this season, but second season syndrome, hopefully with Covid dead and buried, will be a different proposition. Can't fault what they've done this season though.

It goes to show that promoted teams can flourish in the Premier League, if they’ve got their ducks lined up.
    I wonder how much the squad cost.

I hope Leeds get leathered next season and finish bottom

Their fitness levels are incredible.
    Thought Bielsa could afford a few English lessons by now?

several people on here were predicting they would be in a relegation scrap not too long ago.
    fair play though they've done it in impressive style - and without any stand out players - I can't see the top clubs poaching any of their players for example.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Their fitness levels are incredible.
    Thought Bielsa could afford a few English lessons by now?
    20210521_101358.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Bamford has had an incredible season.

Didn't think he was anywhere near good enough.
    He misses a few mind but gets his tally up as Leeds seem to create so many chances with everyone working hard.

Not too sure they will win many trophies as they leave a lot of gaps but with a bit more quality at the back they will have few problems surviving unlike many promoted sides have found.

That said, hope Bielsa gets poached and it all goes tits up!

2-0, eleven months ago. Goals by Junior Hoilett and Robert Glatzel. Remember them?
    Glatzel scored a goal.....well i never

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Glatzel scored a goal.....well i never
    Good finish too if I remember correctly.

I certainly didn't expect Leeds to do as well as they have. They were hardly a special side by Championship standards last season, even if they deservedly won the league.

Without Bielsa I don't know how they'd fare. Certainly not 9th in the Premier League. I even wonder if they would have been promoted. There's no doubt he's been the perfect fit as manager there and their issue will be building on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I certainly didn't expect Leeds to do as well as they have. They were hardly a special side by Championship standards last season, even if they deservedly won the league.

Without Bielsa I don't know how they'd fare. Certainly not 9th in the Premier League. I even wonder if they would have been promoted. There's no doubt he's been the perfect fit as manager there and their issue will be building on it.
    They’ve certainly been through enough managers trying to find one that fits

I think a season without fans or very few at times has thrown up a few anomalies tbh.

I think the Leeds situation offered all of us an insight into how teams can retain their EPL status after promotion.

Yes teams can get out of the championship with high intensity, low possession and direct football... but that ultimately alone cannot retain a premier league status. We are testament to that.

Of course, one season doesn't mean that Leeds will sustain their status but I think they have more chance than other teams who went up playing a less possession style game.

So maybe the lesson is that it may take you a while longer to get there it is more sustainable.

Certainly seems that way but let's see. Second season may be more difficult.

Of course, it doesn't me we have to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I think the Leeds situation offered all of us an insight into how teams can retain their EPL status after promotion.

Yes teams can get out of the championship with high intensity, low possession and direct football... but that ultimately alone cannot retain a premier league status. We are testament to that.

Of course, one season doesn't mean that Leeds will sustain their status but I think they have more chance than other teams who went up playing a less possession style game.

So maybe the lesson is that it may take you a while longer to get there it is more sustainable.

Certainly seems that way but let's see. Second season may be more difficult.

Of course, it doesn't me we have to like them.
    I don't think you CANNOT stay up playing an old fashioned low block / direct game, but clubs have been moving away from that for quite a few years now and it isn't without reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    After promotion from the bottom tier, Swansea spent 3 seasons in League 1 and another 3 in the Championship before making the Premier League. Bournemouth took only 2 seasons in the Championship.

While we can argue that Bournemouth threw money at getting to the Premier League, they had a style of playing that suited the top flight. They spent 5 seasons there. Swansea spent 7 seasons there. Despite us winning the Championship once and being one of the all-time best runners up, we bombed straight back down with a game to spare.