+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mel Rees

Mel Rees

What a tragic story:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Rees

I have no memory of him playing for us (admittedly they were dark days for the club) but he sounds like a decent keeper, certainly from what the Sheffield United fans say.

Re: Mel Rees

I played against him he played for Grangetown boys I played for Grange Albion.
    He was a lovely kid I remember when he started playing for the City and I bumped into him in Queens Street I was made up for him.
    So sad when he passed RIP Mel.

Yes, I remember him, but not greatly. He played quite a few games in the early 80s for us. Cant remember anything remarkable about him.
    Very sad he died so young.

Remember him , rest in peace bluebird

Played against him a few times during school when he played for Fitzalan High and Cardiff schools a fine keeper
    RIP

Always remember the funeral was featured on Wales news. Dave Bassett was totally devastated and quite a number of Blades fans came down to Grangetown for the funeral. Absolutely tragic. RIP Mel

He did well for City, but only played about 31 League games for us. He was seen as a great prospect and when Sheffield United offered £60k for him City took item at a time when we were selling anybody worth a fee. Such a sad story, I remember a similar thing happening to a player called Michael Barrett and Bristol Rovers , who as only 24 when he passed. He was ok at the end of the season and gone in no time at all.

Such a tragic story.
    You couldn't wish to meet a nicer kid either.
    RIP Mel

So sad to think that he was only twenty six when he died which, in goalkeeping terms, is no age at all, so there's every chance he would have got better had he lived - didn't realise he was in goals for us in that League Cup win over Chelsea when Platnauer scored twice until I looked him up just now.

Very sad. I think he was in goals in the FA cup first round game versus Ton Pentre 1986

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    He did well for City, but only played about 31 League games for us. He was seen as a great prospect and when Sheffield United offered £60k for him City took item at a time when we were selling anybody worth a fee. Such a sad story, I remember a similar thing happening to a player called Michael Barrett and Bristol Rovers , who as only 24 when he passed. He was ok at the end of the season and gone in no time at all.
    Not wishing to be pedantic but he left us for Watford not Sheff Utd.
    He was a really good goal keeper but we had Graham Moseley as first choice so cashed in on Mel as we were skint at the time.

Picked his dad up in my taxi about 10 years or more ago. He lived up off Newborough Avenue in Llanishen. Blue House Road I believe?
    Lovely lovely gentleman. Told me he was his dad after we got chatting about the city