+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellis James: FOOTBALL NATION, tonight 10.45pm BBC WALES

Ellis James: FOOTBALL NATION, tonight 10.45pm BBC WALES

Journey through the history of Welsh football.

Re: Ellis James: FOOTBALL NATION, tonight 10.45pm BBC WALES

Saw he interviewed Earnie

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Saw he interviewed Earnie
    I see Earnie is on the ITV Sports Team for the European Championships. https://twitter.com/robertearnshaw/s...864287744?s=21

He’s done very well for himself.

I like Ellis despite him being a Jack.

Smart guy.

Really good watch.

I thought it was excellent. A really good watch. I knew about football being more popular than rugby, and 1500 350 rugby clubs etc and always has been, but you wouldn't believe that if you listened to the Welsh media. One of the interviewees, Stead, wrote a book on the social, politcal and religious impact of football in South Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I thought it was excellent. A really good watch. I knew about football being more popular than rugby, and 1500 350 rugby clubs etc and always has been, but you wouldn't believe that if you listened to the Welsh media. One of the interviewees, Stead, wrote a book on the social, politcal and religious impact of football in South Wales.
    Just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really well researched and put together with some fantastic videos showing matches from over a hundred years ago - really looking forward to the next episode(s).

One question though, what was the ground where Eiis carried out his interview with Bryn Law - it didn't look like any Welsh ground I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really well researched and put together with some fantastic videos showing matches from over a hundred years ago - really looking forward to the next episode(s).

One question though, what was the ground where Eiis carried out his interview with Bryn Law - it didn't look like any Welsh ground I've seen.
    It was at Leeds. I think Bryn Law lives up there.

certainly looked like a Premier League/Championship standard ground.

Bryn Law was Leeds official commentator on their internet stream last season. I presume he's still doing it.

Just watched it, brilliant viewing

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I like Ellis despite him being a Jack.

Smart guy.
    I listen to his Feast of Football podcast every week. I also sometimes listen to him and his mate who tries to be Alan Partridge on 5 Live.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I listen to his Feast of Football podcast every week. I also sometimes listen to him and his mate who tries to be Alan Partridge on 5 Live.
    I listen to the 5 Live show as well, but never for too long because I can't take to Elis' mate - the first time I heard him he was going on about what a huge Queen fan he was, so we didn't get off to the best of starts.

Elis James is ok, loved Football Nation. Liked him in Josh as well, refreshing to have a programme where the actors had memorabilia of their club’s knocking about their home, small clubs as well, Plymouth & Swansea not the usual huge club’s stuff like Man U, Liverpool, Cardiff etc.

I’ll try to take a look at that.

Ellis is fantastic on the socially distanced sports bar too.

Lots of SFA on the soundtrack too, great watch.

Jess Fishlock's accent is quite unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Jess Fishlock's accent is quite unusual.
    I think she has spent a fair bit of time playing in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I listen to the 5 Live show as well, but never for too long because I can't take to Elis' mate - the first time I heard him he was going on about what a huge Queen fan he was, so we didn't get off to the best of starts.
    That's John Robins, I don't listen to their 5 live show but I've seen Robins live a couple of times because my girlfriend likes him and suggested it. I thought he was hilarious but each to their own when it comes to comedy I suppose

I thought it was rubbish, a few decent facts but he spent the majority of the time telling us how football is played more in Wales than rugby, which we already knew and too much time on wimmin!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I thought it was rubbish, a few decent facts but he spent the majority of the time telling us how football is played more in Wales than rugby, which we already knew and too much time on wimmin!
    Think you'll have to judge it as a series rather than individual episodes to be honest. The premise of the programme is telling history of Welsh football from the question of whether it's time to call us a football nation, which obviously comes with the follow up of what are we currently known as instead and how accurate that is.

If you keep with it let us know what you think as it progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Think you'll have to judge it as a series rather than individual episodes to be honest. The premise of the programme is telling history of Welsh football from the question of whether it's time to call us a football nation, which obviously comes with the follow up of what are we currently known as instead and how accurate that is.

If you keep with it let us know what you think as it progresses.
    He grinds my gears to be honest.

Initially it was good to hear a Welsh Football fan on “Fighting Talk”.
    He soon become a very one dimensional tricked pony Massively outclassed by the likes of Pat Nevin and Steve Bunce.

A Milk Toast Jack hoping to be The Max Boyce of Welsh Football IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

He soon become a very one dimensional tricked pony Massively outclassed by the likes of Pat Nevin and Steve Bunce.

Thank Christ for this, I did wonder if it was only me.

‘Football Nation’ first episode was ok, I’ll watch the series but fully expecting it to be rammed with the celebrity ‘Welsh’ football fans who now see themselves as talking for all. It’s my age I think but I find most of them very annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

I don't agree at all there.
    I think he's really good on fighting talk, one of the best ones on there - certainly not outclassed by the likes of Nevin or Bunce - who I also enjoy hearing (Bunce more than Nevin).

But then perhaps I don't listen to it often enough to have become stale.

Just watched episodes two to four on IPlayer and my question is what’s not to like about it?