+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cicadas on the East Coast of America

Cicadas on the East Coast of America

For the last week or so, “Brood X” Cicadas have been emerging up and down The East Coast.

They basically are born underground and stay there for 17 years before emerging, mating, then kicking the bucket.

The noise that they make is astonishing.
    I just had a walk and the noise that the produce drowned out a very busy toll road.

There is expected to be up to a Trillion of them this year.

They really are quite phenomenal.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/27/99116...me-the-cicadas

Re: Cicadas on the East Coast of America

Could be worse:

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Could be worse:
    Indeed 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    For the last week or so, “Brood X” Cicadas have been emerging up and down The East Coast.

They basically are born underground and stay there for 17 years before emerging, mating, then kicking the bucket.

The noise that they make is astonishing.
    I just had a walk and the noise that the produce drowned out a very busy toll road.

There is expected to be up to a Trillion of them this year.

They really are quite phenomenal.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/27/99116...me-the-cicadas

I live in the sub-tropical part of China. My apartment is right next to a mountain that is covered in vegetation. The cicadas make an astonishing noise, particularly when the sun is out and it's a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I live in the sub-tropical part of China. My apartment is right next to a mountain that is covered in vegetation. The cicadas make an astonishing noise, particularly when the sun is out and it's a hot day.
    do you ever get down to Hainan from there? looks good wondering if it's worth a trip.

It's a hugely interesting phenomenon, Wash DC Blue. I heard someone on the radio explain the probable reason about the time-cycle involved regarding the cicadas but it wasn't very convincing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    do you ever get down to Hainan from there? looks good wondering if it's worth a trip.
    I keep promising myself to go there each holiday we have. It seems like whenever I meet new Chinese friends here, they inevitably ask me if I've been to Hainan.

I keep promising myself to go there each holiday we have. It seems like whenever I meet new Chinese friends here, they inevitably ask me if I've been to Hainan.
    I stayed in the mission hills resort near Shenzen on a work trip and they were showing off their sister resort in Haikou on Hainan and it looked awesome - and not too expensive.

I stayed in the mission hills resort near Shenzen on a work trip and they were showing off their sister resort in Haikou on Hainan and it looked awesome - and not too expensive.
    Yeah, a lot of Chinese from my province go there and say it's good value for money.

I don't usually hear cicadas until August. I haven't seen or heard anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't usually hear cicadas until August. I haven't seen or heard anything yet.
    I’m sure that they will be out soon Mate.
    Fabulous critters!!

When I lived in Tokyo the sound of the cicadas (or Mee Mee's as we called them) was amazing every summer. This video doesn't really do it justice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x640...nnel=softypapa

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    When I lived in Tokyo the sound of the cicadas (or Mee Mee's as we called them) was amazing every summer. This video doesn't really do it justice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x640...nnel=softypapa
    Very Cool.
    Those ones seem to have a slightly higher pitch trill noise.

It's a hugely interesting phenomenon, Wash DC Blue. I heard someone on the radio explain the probable reason about the time-cycle involved regarding the cicadas but it wasn't very convincing to me.
    What was it TBG?

Friends finished 17 years ago, now there's a reunion. It's obvious.

I was in Oz years ago, with my old man. He commented to my Oz uncle I can’t understand the rain, my uncle replied that’s the Cicadas pissing on you

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I was in Oz years ago, with my old man. He commented to my Oz uncle I can’t understand the rain, my uncle replied that’s the Cicadas pissing on you
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...ce-cicada-pee/

😁

What was it TBG?
    Part of the reason was supposedly that the time-cycle is longer than the lifespan of many of the predators.

Part of the reason was supposedly that the time-cycle is longer than the lifespan of many of the predators.
    Interesting.
    There has to be a reason. We just don’t know it.

This is great from David Attenborough.

https://youtu.be/tjLiWy2nT7U

I've read it could be that they all emerge at once to overwhelm the predator populations, far too many in one time for them all to be eaten so some will manage to mate and start the next brood, then wait until any boost they've given to the predators has worn off.

interesting as well that they either emerge after 13 or 17 years, both being prime numbers. I wonder if there's a reason for that

I remember reading a book, where the story revolved around the emergence of the cicadas, after their seventeen year stint underground. I hadn't heard of them before, so had to look them up. What strange creatures.

That’s it

I've read it could be that they all emerge at once to overwhelm the predator populations, far too many in one time for them all to be eaten so some will manage to mate and start the next brood, then wait until any boost they've given to the predators has worn off.

interesting as well that they either emerge after 13 or 17 years, both being prime numbers. I wonder if there's a reason for that
    Appearing all at once makes sense regarding the survival rates etc but that could take place more regularly, of course.