+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford

Brentford

just came across this graphic on Twitter.
    20210528_121133.jpg

I dread to think what our equivalent would look like

Re: Brentford

Mm. The opposite probably. I know we made a profit on Zohore , Mason, Marshall, Fabio and Mutch but then we have the likes of Madine, Bogle, Ward, Cunningham, Connolly, Pilkington, O'Keefe, Noone, Lambert, Revell, Le Fondre, Maynard, Jones, Adeyemi, Eikram, Berget, plus our current squad like Murphy, Smithies, Flint etc. Thhose alone is a loss of £44m, but we did make a profit of about £20m on those first listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Mm. The opposite probably. I know we made a profit on Zohore , Mason, Marshall, Fabio and Mutch but then we have the likes of Madine, Bogle, Ward, Cunningham, Connolly, Pilkington, O'Keefe, Noone, Lambert, Revell, Le Fondre, Maynard, Jones, Adeyemi, Eikram, Berget, plus our current squad like Murphy, Smithies, Flint etc. Thhose alone is a loss of £44m, but we did make a profit of about £20m on those first listed above.
    Not sure why you have included players like Connolly in your list, who was with us about 8 years and we recouped much more than the fee he cost us in the service he gave and he was also 32 when he was released. Also Lambert was over 34 when he joined us for an ‘undisclosed’ fee, so we were never going to get a fee back when he left, even if we did pay one in the first place. Maynard had a serious injury which basically ended his career in the top two divisions and we may have received an insurance pay out as a result. The three current players are also still with us and playing, so not sure how you can work out that we have lost money on them at this point. If players retire whilst at the club it is a bit unfair saying that we have ‘lost’ their original fee when they leave. You have also missed out players like Medel and Caulker who were sold on for quite large fees as well and profits as well, if I remember correctly. Nothing is ever quite as bad as it can be made to seem. Taking risks on players is all part and parcel of the game. Some pay off and others dont.

First Team

I strongly suspect that at least two posters from here will have that information to hand and be putting it up by the close of play.

Sadly, it may make grim reading.

I'm pretty sure that isn't all the signings that Brentford made over that period. just their greatest hits, so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that isn't all the signings that Brentford made over that period. just their greatest hits, so to speak
    If you were buying from Brentford in the future you may also wonder about the on-sale value of your purchase based on some of the names there and how they have performed at their new club. To be fair the Jacks have also sold a few plyers at peak prices, Mawson and McBurnie being prime examples.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You have also missed out players like Medel and Caulker who were sold on for quite large fees as well and profits as well, if I remember correctly.
    You remember incorrectly. Both were sold at marginal losses.

Brentford has the luxury of being on the outskirts of London and able to pick up and scout very good young talent from a much bigger pool than us .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Brentford has the luxury of being on the outskirts of London and able to pick up and scout very good young talent from a much bigger pool than us .
    that's got very little to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would be interested if Walesonline did an article on who our scouts are, what location they work in and how they work generally. It can't be as limited as that ex-Arsenal employee and Mick's contacts...can it?

If we predict what the commentators will be saying about Brentford in upcoming play-off final when not talking about the game itself:

- getting rid of their academy and setting up a B team including a pathway for players discarded from top academies
    - analytics including deliberately looking at less popular leagues

The first point has strong ties to location - Ipswich or Norwich, as just two examples, can't offer what Brentford can.

True, most of those quotes didn’t come from London clubs....

There are also players like Morrison and Bennett we could have sold for profit but kept.

I don't think our tranfer policy in the past was the best but I think that's party down to how we play. Most clubs above are looking for players who can play and fit in, generally ours don't.