+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bristol Rovers

Bristol Rovers

funny how the spite towards them doesn't exist in the same way it does toward Bristol City

Its not as if there hasn't been bother between the fans in the past ......the battle of Eastville in spring 83 when Jeff Hemmerman was injured for example

But generally I don't mind Rovers

Re: Bristol Rovers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    funny how the spite towards them doesn't exist in the same way it does toward Bristol City

Its not as if there hasn't been bother between the fans in the past ......the battle of Eastville in spring 83 when Jeff Hemmerman was injured for example

But generally I don't mind Rovers
    Always found Bristol Rovers more game than Bristol city back in the day.
    I often chat to Rovers fans and find them decent more down to earth whereas City fans seem up their own backsides and hate the welsh

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Always found Bristol Rovers more game than Bristol city back in the day.
    I often chat to Rovers fans and find them decent more down to earth whereas City fans seem up their own backsides and hate the welsh
    I may be wrong but I always had rovers down as the working class club in Bristol

Maybe its split regionally , I don't know

I know Bristol City is South West of City ?

Seldom played them in 20 years, I’m fairly agnostic about them. Have a few Rovers mates and acquaintances, all living in Wales now or were at the time, sound bunch when it comes to the football. Have never really met a Bristol City fan strangely, definitely dislike them more as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Seldom played them in 20 years, I’m fairly agnostic about them. Have a few Rovers mates and acquaintances, all living in Wales now or were at the time, sound bunch when it comes to the football. Have never really met a Bristol City fan strangely, definitely dislike them more as a club.
    They have been through some crap to be fair , Eastville, Twerton Park , playing at a rugby ground

went down to twerton back in the day..we lost 2.1..and got ****ing soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    went down to twerton back in the day..we lost 2.1..and got ****ing soaked.
    it was a cackhole

I may be wrong but I always had rovers down as the working class club in Bristol

Maybe its split regionally , I don't know

I know Bristol City is South West of City ?
    Rovers fans tend to come from the north of the city, nicer areas in my mind after living there, city to the south. It’s probably because they are seen as the smaller club that we never saw them as rivals but they always brought decent support and would take just as many away as city, particularly when they didn’t have a home ground in Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Rovers fans tend to come from the north of the city, nicer areas in my mind after living there, city to the south. It’s probably because they are seen as the smaller club that we never saw them as rivals but they always brought decent support and would take just as many away as city, particularly when they didn’t have a home ground in Bristol.
    st Paul's, Easton, are they rovers territory ?

Mate of mine was a student at Bristol Polytechnic , lived in Ashley Down , lot of rovers fans around there

They often brought more than Bristol City to Cardiff

I’ve lived in Bristol for 5 years and have been surprised at how little I notice that there are two football clubs in the city. When working in Cardiff I would see city shirts, coats and scarfs being displayed on a regular basis, even on non match days. I’ve genuinely seen more Welsh rugby shirts around Bristol than any local football ones. Even in my workplace in the city centre I can only think of one BC fan, with the rest all part of the Man Utd / Liverpool bandwagon.

st Paul's, Easton, are they rovers territory ?

Mate of mine was a student at Bristol Polytechnic , lived in Ashley Down , lot of rovers fans around there

They often brought more than Bristol City to Cardiff
    They are both rough and in the north but are sort of inner city areas....st. Paul’s wasn’t so bad to be honest, as long as you didn’t deal on the streets you were fine. Easton reminds me of Riverside, lots of hookers and street stuff going down.
    redland, cotham, montpelier, St. Andrews, st werburghs, bishopston are all nice north off Gloucester rd which goes up through rovers territory traditionally. The south seems full of estates like knowle, knowle west, hartcliffe etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    I’ve lived in Bristol for 5 years and have been surprised at how little I notice that there are two football clubs in the city. When working in Cardiff I would see city shirts, coats and scarfs being displayed on a regular basis, even on non match days. I’ve genuinely seen more Welsh rugby shirts around Bristol than any local football ones. Even in my workplace in the city centre I can only think of one BC fan, with the rest all part of the Man Utd / Liverpool bandwagon.
    I noticed that when I lived there too...I think both clubs had a final at the mill stad when I was there, both took about 40,000 and some of the kids I taught at the time went to both clubs games....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They are both rough and in the north but are sort of inner city areas....st. Paul’s wasn’t so bad to be honest, as long as you didn’t deal on the streets you were fine. Easton reminds me of Riverside, lots of hookers and street stuff going down.
    redland, cotham, montpelier, St. Andrews, st werburghs, bishopston are all nice north off Gloucester rd which goes up through rovers territory traditionally. The south seems full of estates like knowle, knowle west, hartcliffe etc....
    went to the tropic club in St Paul's, no hassle at all

I know a lot of posh sorts in Somerset follow city , seen as the more glamorous club

went to the tropic club in St Paul's, no hassle at all

I know a lot of posh sorts in Somerset follow city , seen as the more glamorous club
    The rowdy bunch of Rovers i spoke to when on holidays were from some council estate not far from Weston Super mare if i remember right. I'm talking 80s i think Bournville Estate mostly skinheads and mods

The rowdy bunch of Rovers i spoke to when on holidays were from some council estate not far from Weston Super mare if i remember right. I'm talking 80s i think Bournville Estate mostly skinheads and mods
    Weston super Mare , Brean Down , those were the days

Spent a week in Brean sands around 1980 and most of my week was spent in weston watching Skinheads fighting near the beach or on the lawns by the seafront.
    Great entertainment

Brean down is that the the big hill with a fort on top with something like a hundred big steps to climb?

Spent a week in Brean sands around 1980 and most of my week was spent in weston watching Skinheads fighting near the beach or on the lawns by the seafront.
    Great entertainment
    Weston was very run down and looking in need of a paint job last time I went

Brean down is that the the big hill with a fort on top with something like a hundred big steps to climb?
    thats the one , very good fishing off there

st Paul's, Easton, are they rovers territory,

Same here Sludge, 3 years at Bristol Poly, 77-80 Easton, Ashley Down & Bishopston, all Gas territory. Some weeks I’d spend 4 evenings inside Eastville, Speedway, greyhounds & the Gas. With City & the Gas I had a double reason to dislike the red shite! They were also in the top division as well which made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Same here Sludge, 3 years at Bristol Poly, 77-80 Easton, Ashley Down & Bishopston, all Gas territory. Some weeks I’d spend 4 evenings inside Eastville, Speedway, greyhounds & the Gas. With City & the Gas I had a double reason to dislike the red shite! They were also in the top division as well which made it worse.
    its called the University Of The West Of England now

Its gone all posh

Its gone all posh
    3 of my lads have gone to Uni and each of the 3 were ex Polys. In my opinion losing the Polys was wrong and undermines the validity of Universities. Oxford Brookes University, stop it, Oxford Polytechnic

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    3 of my lads have gone to Uni and each of the 3 were ex Polys. In my opinion losing the Polys was wrong and undermines the validity of Universities. Oxford Brookes University, stop it, Oxford Polytechnic
    it is

I did a post grad housing policy course at Oxford polytechnic .......which is shit by the way .....even back then it was full of wannabees saying they are studying at Oxford

I think apart from the cowley road , Oxford is crap for students

Pubs are expensive , very poor nightlife not really that much to do

Its gone all posh
    To be fair to UWE ( at least the Frenchay site ) they have spent ALOT of money on the place, accommodation is decent
    The sports Dept is crap though