+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Lockyer

Tom Lockyer

Great news that Tom is in the Welsh squad now, following the withdrawal of James Lawrence.

Tom was born in Cardiff, went to school here, a big City fan, and a proud Welshman.

Lawrence, on the other hand, had never even actually been to Wales in his life before he got ‘selected’, and had already had several rejections from England.....so his father mailed the Welsh FA to say he was “available”.

Re: Tom Lockyer

He’s no Ashley Williams

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Great news that Tom is in the Welsh squad now, following the withdrawal of James Lawrence.

Tom was born in Cardiff, went to school here, a big City fan, and a proud Welshman.

Lawrence, on the other hand, had never even actually been to Wales in his life before he got ‘selected’, and had already had several rejections from England.....so his father mailed the Welsh FA to say he was “available”.

Phew i was worried about you when " Our " Ash retired, I thought " whats G randtown blue going to do now ? , great news you have James Lawrence in your sights

Im just happy for you

[QUOTE=G rangetown Blue;5195565]Great news that Tom is in the Welsh squad now, following the withdrawal of James Lawrence.

Lawrence, on the other hand, had never even actually been to Wales in his life before he got ‘selected’, and had already had several rejections from England.....so his father mailed the Welsh FA to say he was “available”. :shrug

[/QUOT

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Phew i was worried about you when " Our " Ash retired, I thought " whats G randtown blue going to do now ? , great news you have James Lawrence in your sights

Im just happy for you
    I’m still around, and still not happy with English rejects playing for Wales....hopefully I’ll never change.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    He’s no Ashley Williams
    Thankfully not many are .

Pleased for Lockyer, he's never let Wales down and I thought he was unlucky to miss out in the first place - I understand he's been injured for much of the season though.

You’ll be pleased to know that 9 of the 26 are English born, with 15 Welsh born, you’ll be spoilt for choice. A German born & Saudi born make up the full amount.

Of my three kids, one was born in Newport, one in Cardiff and one in Kampala.

Just because one was born in Uganda doesn't mean he is any less Welsh or qualified to play for Wales than the other two.
    The one born in Cardiff has only lived in Wales for 18 months (from 0 to 18 months and now 12 years in Africa) - the least time of any of the others spent in Wales - does this make her less Welsh? and yet, despite her lack of living in Wales she feels more of a connection with Cardiff than my other daughter who lived in Wales for a lot longer. My son, who was born in Kampala, is a massive city fan and season ticket holder.

Point is, it's ridiculous to only base someones eligibility and Welshness on where they were born.

Time to put aside these silly parochial 'more welsh than others etc'.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post

Just because one was born in Uganda doesn't mean he is any less Welsh or qualified to play for Wales than the other two.
    The one born in Cardiff has only lived in Wales for 18 months (from 0 to 18 months and now 12 years in Africa) - the least time of any of the others spent in Wales - does this make her less Welsh? and yet, despite her lack of living in Wales she feels more of a connection with Cardiff than my other daughter who lived in Wales for a lot longer. My son, who was born in Kampala, is a massive city fan and season ticket holder.

Point is, it's ridiculous to only base someones eligibility and Welshness on where they were born.

You have some fair points.

Joe Calzaghe was born in London. Hes Welsh.

However the likes of Vinnie Jones........?

Without speaking to the individual it's almost impossible to know how Welsh they are. Unless they make it obvious of course through a series of statements...

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Fair point about Vinnie Jones, there are some exceptions but until you know the ins and outs of families, which by nature are becoming more diverse, it's impossible to know and pass judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

As an aside - a family joke is one of my kids was born in a third world city, the other two were born in Cardiff and Kampala respectively.

Fair point about Vinnie Jones, there are some exceptions but until you know the ins and outs of families, which by nature are becoming more diverse, it's impossible to know and pass judgement.
    to be fair to Vinnie, he took it seriously and can still sing the Welsh national anthem off by heart.

Radyr Boy

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    He’s no Ashley Williams

One of our best defenders ever to wear the red shirt

Exactly if I have kids there’s almost 0 chance they’ll be born in wales but they’ll still be supporting wales. Narrow minded for someone to just look where someone was born and make their mind up based on that.

Tom Lawrence was born in Wrexham wasn’t he?

My 10 year old - born and lives in Bristol, but is Cardiff City and Wales (in any sport) to the core. He would prefer to play for Wales than England and will be cheering the boys on in the Euros.

Don’t ask about the 8 year old, though!

As an aside, they’re both coached by Michael Meaker, who was born and bred in London and played once for Wales. He’s a massive fan of all things Welsh (has lots of family there) and insists that the Welsh FA is far superior to the English FA when it comes to coaching qualification and maintenance of badges, although he is Spurs fan! 🤪

My eldest was born in Gloucester you try telling him he’s English, he’s Welsh in every other way, including being able to speak Welsh, which I’m proud that 3 of my 4 can.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Tom Lawrence was born in Wrexham wasn’t he?
    He's talking about James Lawrence

I’m still around, and still not happy with English rejects playing for Wales....hopefully I’ll never change.
    Narrow minded idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    You’ll be pleased to know that 9 of the 26 are English born, with 15 Welsh born, you’ll be spoilt for choice. A German born & Saudi born make up the full amount.
    I’m gutted for Grangetown. This surely means he can’t really support Wales with more than a third of the squad not Welsh born.Perhaps he can support England instead..

Out of curiosity do you only have an issue with English "rejects", or any player that was born in another country?

Hi, I know that no rules are broken, but I just feel for Welsh players who miss out, just because players aren’t good enough for their own countries (mainly England), and then use Wales just to experience international football...that’s all.

I’ve been supporting Wales home and away for over 40 years, and all booked up for this years travels, it doesn’t spoil anything for me, I just can’t be hypocritical ...that’s all.

People say, that England, Germany, Italy etc have ‘foreign’ players....but they chose England (or whoever) over their own country...none of our “English” players chose Wales over England.