+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Question re: watching footy on TV in the garden

Question re: watching footy on TV in the garden

Traditionally, I invite friends into my enclosed beach bar at the foot of my garden in order to watch the big Euros and World Cup final games on the TV I have installed in there. However, for obvious reasons I have thought about placing the TV where it could be seem from those who prefer to watch al fresco. I know that such a set up can be problematic regarding reflections on the screen but has anyone any experience with anti-glare screens that would be suitable for such a set-up?

Re: Question re: watching footy on TV in the garden

https://youtu.be/w9SxLps0UqM

Try anti-glare film. I think it's available on ebay at a reasonable cost.

I should add that I don't have any personal experience of these screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    https://youtu.be/w9SxLps0UqM

Try anti-glare film. I think it's available on ebay at a reasonable cost.

I should add that I don't have any personal experience of these screens.
    I have been on eBay, Amazon etc but a personal recommendation on here and for the specific purpose mentioned would be welcome. Thanks

Don't forget the rule of 6

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have been on eBay, Amazon etc but a personal recommendation on here and for the specific purpose mentioned would be welcome. Thanks
    Don't they have reviews on Amazon?

you thought of a garden projector, should be able to get a decent one ( and the white screen ) for 150 - 200 quid

Gosh the things you wealthy chaps have to ponder over 😄

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    you thought of a garden projector, should be able to get a decent one ( and the white screen ) for 150 - 200 quid
    Thanks but I was hoping for a cheaper and simplistic solution for what will be just a handful of games.

Give them hazmat suits? Though it might ruin the aesthetic of the bikini bar.

Put a parasol over the top of the TV stopping the sun shining on it?

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Put a parasol over the top of the TV stopping the sun shining on it?
    Was thinking the same! This is the easiest and probably most effective. A projector outside is unlikely to be bright enough unless it's a high end one.

I was thinking of getting the TV out the garden too. Having watched games before and can’t see anything for the sun glare, I was thinking of getting a cheap Gazebo.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    Was thinking the same! This is the easiest and probably most effective. A projector outside is unlikely to be bright enough unless it's a high end one.
    A parasol doesn't prevent reflections of things on the same horizontal plane.

International

My local pub has TV's in the garden and the put then in wide open ended tents, like half a small marquee. It seems to work just fine, no problem seeing the screen even from 30 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    My local pub has TV's in the garden and the put then in wide open ended tents, like half a small marquee. It seems to work just fine, no problem seeing the screen even from 30 feet away.
    Are they TV's outdoor TV in the first place though?

International

Are they TV's outdoor TV in the first place though?
    Pointless talking to you. You are too clever for your own good!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Pointless talking to you. You are too clever for your own good!!
    When I was doing some research I came across outdoor TV's but they were very expensive.

Traditionally, I invite friends into my enclosed beach bar at the foot of my garden in order to watch the big Euros and World Cup final games on the TV I have installed in there. However, for obvious reasons I have thought about placing the TV where it could be seem from those who prefer to watch al fresco. I know that such a set up can be problematic regarding reflections on the screen but has anyone any experience with anti-glare screens that would be suitable for such a set-up?
    Samsung do a telly specifically for this called The Terrace. Pricey, but is the tool you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Samsung do a telly specifically for this called The Terrace. Pricey, but is the tool you are looking for.
    Thanks but I stated earlier that I am not looking out for an expensive option for just a few games. I'll see if I can angle my TV in a way to minimise glare and if that doesn't work I'll simply put it on in my beach bar (purchased as a potting shed but suitably decorated)

Thanks but I stated earlier that I am not looking out for an expensive option for just a few games. I'll see if I can angle my TV in a way to minimise glare and if that doesn't work I'll simply put it on in my beach bar (purchased as a potting shed but suitably decorated)
    Fair enough. Can you get one of those anti glare hoods that photo editors use on their monitors? They are pretty cheap, but they may not make one large enough/may ruin viewing angle depending on how many people you are having around.

What about one of those hoods the old fashioned flash cameramen used albeit a huge one covering the telly and all your mates?

Try placing TV inside a large Cardboard box and open the flaps ................its works.

I think this thread has run its course. Splott Parker's suggestion is surely the most elegant solution.