+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you swap Mick McCarthy for Mike Flynn?

Would you swap Mick McCarthy for Mike Flynn?

Over to you.

Re: Would you swap Mick McCarthy for Mike Flynn?

No.

No

Difficult choice.

The manager of a 4th tier team who play crap football, or the manager of a 2nd tier team who play crap football. To be fair one of them has been promoted to the top tier on two occasions and managed an international team on two separate occasions.....and it's not Mike Flynn!

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Difficult choice.

The manager of a 4th tier team who play crap football, or the manager of a 2nd tier team who play crap football. To be fair one of them has been promoted to the top tier on two occasions and managed an international team on two separate occasions.....and it's not Mike Flynn!
    Dilemmas!

I should point out that I'm not advocating Flynn as next City boss, but I know that we have got fans who would be happy if he took over here.

No but would love Eddie Howe instead !

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Dilemmas!

I should point out that I'm not advocating Flynn as next City boss, but I know that we have got fans who would be happy if he took over here.
    Why ? Just because he lives down the road ?

If he wasn't managing Newport, we wouldn't even be having this discussion and the fans would be in uproar if we were linked to a League Two manager who has hardly set the world on fire with his tactical nous and his ability to get his team promoted.

I ask to be allowed to see what our squad looks like when the transfer window closes before answering your question Eric. However, I wouldn't have been too upset if we'd appointed Flynn as manager back in January, Apart from last season, Flynn's done a great job at Newport with their league results being well above their norm during his time there (especially when you consider what a disadvantage the Rodney Parade pitch has been for them in that time), but their Cup form has been better and I'd say that he's become a manager who should at least be considered when there is a vacancy at a League One or Championship club.

One other thing on Flynn, I admired his restraint during the post match interview yesterday and maybe it was the pain of defeat that was responsible, but he sounded like someone who was considering quitting his job.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I ask to be allowed to see what our squad looks like when the transfer window closes before answering your question Eric. However, I wouldn't have been too upset if we'd appointed Flynn as manager back in January, Apart from last season, Flynn's done a great job at Newport with their league results being well above their norm during his time there (especially when you consider what a disadvantage the Rodney Parade pitch has been for them in that time), but their Cup form has been better and I'd say that he's become a manager who should at least be considered when there is a vacancy at a League One or Championship club.

One other thing on Flynn, I admired his restraint during the post match interview yesterday and maybe it was the pain of defeat that was responsible, but he sounded like someone who was considering quitting his job.
    Arent Newport appointing a sporting director and Flynn said hes not happy with things behind the scenes. Looks like maybe a parting of ways.

Maybe Wrexham? Theyve lost their manager.

There was nothing in that Newport display that suggested that was a manager who should be at a higher level. Even the use of the long throw was poor.

That match was well below the L1 match.

The obvious answer is that it's too early to say.

The squad was in such a negative, self-defeating place when Mick took over that he didn't have to do much other than be not Neil Harris for things to improve and then when we were building momentum for real play-off run his bad game management cost us points against Watford and Stoke which was quickly followed by poor results against Wednesday and Forest - in fact the vast majority of performances and/or results after the 2nd of March were poor except for draw away at Brentford and win away at Brum.

We really don't know much about Flynn. I'd say he's done better in transfer market based on i) successfully signing players and ii) those players being playing well having arrived there but Mick's only had one full window yet.

Out of interest would those not writing Flynn off be happy with the Morecambe manager? Bottom of the league to promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Out of interest would those not writing Flynn off be happy with the Morecambe manager? Bottom of the league to promotion?
    Well seeing that Morecambe had the worst possession stats in League Two. I'd say the City job's his if Mick McCarthy were to leave!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well seeing that Morecambe had the worst possession stats in League Two. I'd say the City job's his if Mick McCarthy were to leave!

Gosh no Mick is vastly more experienced hope this is not going to be a Pulis groundhog day moment. Bamba or Bellers after Mick please.

No for me. He has done a good job there in all the circumstances but not good enough to suggest he would be a good championship manager rather than an ordinary one. Seems to me if he does leave Newport he might be a good fit for the Wrexham job. Knows non league football and the lower divisions and Wrexham might have a bit of money next season with American super heroes in charge.

It would seem illogical to drop a division but he might enchantce his reputation at Wrexham with a couple of good seasons.

Christ no

I’m just wondering if anyone commenting on here is qualified enough to pass judgement on Flynn. How many games have you actually watched ?

From what I have seen, County play more on the floor than Cardiff... at least when the standard of the pitch allows it.

Also, and this what I said last time round when half of the experts commenting in this thread said that Harris was a much better manager than Flynn.... If you know anything, you’d at least be able to acknowledge that MF has done wonders with the budget he has had...season upon season. He is consistently impressive.

But, nothing has changed really. MF keeps on pulling rabbits out of the hat and we keep on appointing duds. Roll on , let’s come back to this again next season.

I just find it puzzling and slightly amusing that quite a few on here would seriously contemplate employing this guy based on what he's 'achieved' with a League 2 side. If, as I said before he wasn't managing a local team, he wouldn't even be a blip on our radar. A case of Mike who ?, never heard of him, next.

If we have to check out potential managers, why not start in the division directly below us, not two divisions lower. Personally, I think we should aim much much higher even than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I just find it puzzling and slightly amusing that quite a few on here would seriously contemplate employing this guy based on what he's 'achieved' with a League 2 side. If, as I said before he wasn't managing a local team, he wouldn't even be a blip on our radar. A case of Mike who ?, never heard of him, next.

If we have to check out potential managers, why not start in the division directly below us, not two divisions lower. Personally, I think we should aim much much higher even than that.
    The fact that you would say “Mike Who?” maybe talks more to the lack of knowledge and , dare I say it , arrogance of your average football fan.

The fact that the guy saved the side from relegation and then achieved mid table finishes along with two play off finals on literally next to no money could only be considered a minor “achievement” ( I’m guessing the quotes suggest you think hasn’t achieved anything) by meanest follower of the game. He’s done a hell of a job.

Also, who is anyone on here to turn their nose up at flynn when their last few managers have been mccarthy, harris, warnock, trollope and slade ... you haven’t exactly been treated to the cream of the crop of football management (nor playing styles) for the last seven or eight seasons. You are used to watching pig-shite foootball as it is.

I’d pefer Flynn just on the basis that he isn’t a dinosaur or a journeyman.

Errol Flynn rather than Mick for me.
    The Morecombe manager has had a fair bit of success in his previous positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    The fact that you would say “Mike Who?” maybe talks more to the lack of knowledge and , dare I say it , arrogance of your average football fan.

The fact that the guy saved the side from relegation and then achieved mid table finishes along with two play off finals on literally next to no money could only be considered a minor “achievement” ( I’m guessing the quotes suggest you think hasn’t achieved anything) by meanest follower of the game. He’s done a hell of a job.

Also, who is anyone on here to turn their nose up at flynn when their last few managers have been mccarthy, harris, warnock, trollope and slade ... you haven’t exactly been treated to the cream of the crop of football management (nor playing styles) for the last seven or eight seasons. You are used to watching pig-shite foootball as it is.

I’d pefer Flynn just on the basis that he isn’t a dinosaur or a journeyman.
    I think you're being incredibly disingenuous to our previous managers. Save from Trollope, one steadied a sinking ship, taking us to a place just outside the play-offs, one gave the club back it's self-belief and unexpectedly got us promoted, one got us into the play-offs and the other reversed a season in an instant when danger was looming and nearly got us into play-off contention. The cream of the crop of football management is almost exclusively to be found in the Premier League so let's not expect a marquee managerial signing just yet.

While Mike Flynn's record at Newport is admirable, it's hardly jaw-dropping enough to warrant chairman across the country licking their lips in anticipation of him becoming a free agent in the near future.

No. What makes people think he could actually get us to the premier league?

International

I cannot even understand why the question is asked or being answered. It's ridiculous.

i notice Morecambes boss Derek Adams has left the club to pursue adventures elsewhere after gaining promotion last weekend

i wonder where he's heading off to

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I think you're being incredibly disingenuous to our previous managers. Save from Trollope, one steadied a sinking ship, taking us to a place just outside the play-offs, one gave the club back it's self-belief and unexpectedly got us promoted, one got us into the play-offs and the other reversed a season in an instant when danger was looming and nearly got us into play-off contention. The cream of the crop of football management is almost exclusively to be found in the Premier League so let's not expect a marquee managerial signing just yet.

While Mike Flynn's record at Newport is admirable, it's hardly jaw-dropping enough to warrant chairman across the country licking their lips in anticipation of him becoming a free agent in the near future.
    I genuinely believe that they are all very average managers. Warnock can be effective in the lower leagues but that’s about it.

Incidentally, MF’s win ratio is better than any of the aforementioned. ....all done with barely any funds. ( a point you consistently overlook).