+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you swap Mick McCarthy for Mike Flynn?

Re: Would you swap Mick McCarthy for Mike Flynn?

Strikes me that a lot of the people writing what Flynn has done at Newport off are in the age group that remember Jimmy Scoular as City manager and, as such, there is a good chance they’ll pick him as their best/favourite City boss. However, Scoular was appointed by City a month after being sacked from his first managerial job by Fourth Division Bradford Park Avenue. Now, I know I’m talking about nearly sixty years ago and the game has changed a lot in that time, but, clearly, it was possible to appoint a manager from the lower leagues who could come in and do a good job in the second tier then and I don’t get why it should be considered impossible to do so now.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I genuinely believe that they are all very average managers. Warnock can be effective in the lower leagues but that’s about it.

Incidentally, MF’s win ratio is better than any of the aforementioned. ....all done with barely any funds. ( a point you consistently overlook).
    What is your definition of ‘lower leagues’ then ? Most people would say that term applies to anything league one and below. In which case saying that Warnock was only effective in the lower leagues is ridiculous - 5 promotions to the top flight in his career. On the other hand if you are making out that the Championship is a ‘lower league’ then that is just as silly. It is the most competitive and financially rewarding second division in Europe and one of the most watched by people all around the world.

On the Mike Flynn issue, appointing a manager to run a Championship team when he has no experience of managing at that level, only managed for four years in total (all in league two) and in his current job has won absolutely nothing apart from a few cup games against teams from higher levels (who played weakened teams), narrowly avoided relegation once and lost in the play offs twice. Hardly a CV to put him towards the top of the list of prospective candidates for a Championship job really is it. At best it would be a massive gamble, at worst a financial disaster. No thanks to that for me.

I genuinely believe that they are all very average managers. Warnock can be effective in the lower leagues but that’s about it.

Incidentally, MF’s win ratio is better than any of the aforementioned. ....all done with barely any funds. ( a point you consistently overlook).
    Warnock is more than effective in lower leagues, he regularly builds promotion winning sides and sadly falls flat in the PL but you can't mention him in the same breath as Flynn.

Who gives a toss about win ratios, it doesn't even begin to tell you the success of a manager.

Put it this way, if we were based in South East England no-one would give a crap about Newport and their manager. Sure he's done a good job there but it's league 2 ffs. Would Millwall come knocking for him if they needed a manager? Probably not so why would we

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What is your definition of ‘lower leagues’ then ? Most people would say that term applies to anything league one and below. In which case saying that Warnock was only effective in the lower leagues is ridiculous - 5 promotions to the top flight in his career. On the other hand if you are making out that the Championship is a ‘lower league’ then that is just as silly. It is the most competitive and financially rewarding second division in Europe and one of the most watched by people all around the world.

On the Mike Flynn issue, appointing a manager to run a Championship team when he has no experience of managing at that level, only managed for four years in total (all in league two) and in his current job has won absolutely nothing apart from a few cup games against teams from higher levels (who played weakened teams), narrowly avoided relegation once and lost in the play offs twice. Hardly a CV to put him towards the top of the list of prospective candidates for a Championship job really is it. At best it would be a massive gamble, at worst a financial disaster. No thanks to that for me.
    I think you should read this in context. I said that its a bit rich for people on here to turn their nose up at Flynn when CCFC fans have hardly been treated to what I would consider decent managers over the last decade or so.

Like I said. Flynn's career win ratio is higher than any of our previous 5 managers, including Warnock. And he has done this with almost no money, something that can't be said of the others mentioned here.

I think everything outside the EPL is considered lower league.

It would be a gamble taking Flynn as manager. But I think if you can do it at that level then you can probably do it at championship level. The only real difference would be the tactical side of the game, but again, Warnock and McCarthy can hardly be considered tactical geniuses.

I think you should read this in context. I said that its a bit rich for people on here to turn their nose up at Flynn when CCFC fans have hardly been treated to what I would consider decent managers over the last decade or so.

Like I said. Flynn's career win ratio is higher than any of our previous 5 managers, including Warnock. And he has done this with almost no money, something that can't be said of the others mentioned here.

It would be a gamble taking Flynn as manager. But I think if you can do it at that level then you can probably do it at championship level. The only real difference would be the tactical side of the game, but again, Warnock and McCarthy can hardly be considered tactical geniuses.
    Yeah lets compare promotion CVs of our past managers and Flynn at Newport.

Flynn hasnt done it at L2 level either.

He used his budget to include a 42 year old winger plus Maynard and Ledley. None of which started.

Set pieces were awful.

Hes mentioned as hes down the road.

If he wins L2 playing great attacking football look again. Fail to go up against a garbage team playing rubbish yourself then no chance.

I can't fault your persistence in championing Flynn's cause, even in the face of mounting derision or um....facts. Let's hope that as his agent, you get more than the usual 10% cut from his signing-on fee with Wrexham.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    i notice Morecambes boss Derek Adams has left the club to pursue adventures elsewhere after gaining promotion last weekend

i wonder where he's heading off to
    Looks like Bradford. He has had some good success in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Looks like Bradford. He has had some good success in the past.
    Derek Adams is the football anti-Christ. He makes Slade look like a manager who plays expansive football. For a man who champions teams playing good football I’m surprised you forget those principals just to favour a manager from the motherland. Double standards, Jimbo.