+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retained list released

Re: Retained list released

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Gutted for Sol, surprised at Bennett and what the hell was the point in bringing Jonny Williams in?

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-retained-list
    Smells of wage bill, all 3 high earners , all 3 at career ends, all 3 have had a few injuries that may become more regular as they age .

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    MM hadn't forgotten him, every press conference he would tell us that Tomlin wasn't fit (yet).
    That book of Tomlin excuses is wearing thin .

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Joe Bennett signs for Middlesbrough, short odds.
    He has an anterior cruciate ligament injury and cant play until October at earliest, so I doubt he would sign for anybody in that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He has an anterior cruciate ligament injury and cant play until October at earliest, so I doubt he would sign for anybody in that condition.
    We signed Callum Paterson when he was injured and couldn't play until October

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We signed Callum Paterson when he was injured and couldn't play until October
    he did his in the December and if kept him out until the October, and he was in his early 20s.

Bennett has a lot more miles on the clock. it could be October, or or could be a few months more than that. if wages are tight we can't afford to be giving one of our larger ones to someone who won't be able to play for the first half of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he did his in the December and if kept him out until the October, and he was in his early 20s.

Bennett has a lot more miles on the clock. it could be October, or or could be a few months more than that. if wages are tight we can't afford to be giving one of our larger ones to someone who won't be able to play for the first half of the season
    Yes, but its not beyond the realms of possibility that Warnock will sign one of his old favourites in spite of an injury

International

yeah I wasn't sure where to fit Tomlin in on that formation.
    In the treatment room or McDonalds.

Seems to me disgraceful that the club withdrew contract offer to Joe Bennet because he was injured.
    He’s been an outstanding servant and great contributor who’d done enough to be accommodated in some way.
    Shows how insincere and mercenary it’s all become.

A bit more ruthless by the club that, but with such a greater focus on youth I felt Jonny Williams was a good player to keep around.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Seems to me disgraceful that the club withdrew contract offer to Joe Bennet because he was injured.
    He’s been an outstanding servant and great contributor who’d done enough to be accommodated in some way.
    The club isn't a charity

Players know the risks and if they have been sensible they'll never need to work again.

The club can't afford him so time to go.

Where is it stated that the club withdrew a contract offer?

surprised about Joe, though his injury would have played a part in the decision, i always liked Joe as a player

I can understand Sol leaving, he wants 1 more season, but he must be one of the top earners, also if we want to challenge for the Prem, we will need slightly better

From a business perspective, the decision not to retain the services of Bamba, Bennett and Williams is to be commended. As has been said, the club is not a charity and more to the point, it needs to be more prudent than ever in the aftermath of Covid.

In a perfect world it would have been nice to retain Sol in some capacity for another 12 months but I don't think the club is in any position to make such a kindly gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    From a business perspective, the decision not to retain the services of Bamba, Bennett and Williams is to be commended. As has been said, the club is not a charity and more to the point, it needs to be more prudent than ever in the aftermath of Covid.

In a perfect world it would have been nice to retain Sol in some capacity for another 12 months but I don't think the club is in any position to make such a kindly gesture.
    One of those is fit to start next season, under 30 and likely to be on wages not much higher than what a League 1 club would pay.

In a perfect world Sol would recognise we've already paid him since the 6th of March 2019 without much return as a player. We've done our bit for him as an aged player and hopefully he returns in the future in a non-playing role.

International

How people's attitude changes.
    On here people are questioning the release of Williams whilst in another thread people are agreeing that he does a lot but doesn't actually achieve much, doesn't add much to the team when he does play and has a lousy goal scoring record.

Looks like the club has made your minds up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    How people's attitude changes.
    On here people are questioning the release of Williams whilst in another thread people are agreeing that he does a lot but doesn't actually achieve much, doesn't add much to the team when he does play and has a lousy goal scoring record.

Looks like the club has made your minds up for you.
    I suppose people are wondering why we paid a fee for him and gave him 174 minutes before releasing him.

International

I suppose people are wondering why we paid a fee for him and gave him 174 minutes before releasing him.
    Yes, I'm one of them, but from his stats it seems he flatters to deceive. If it frees up wages for someone who can make a difference it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Yes, I'm one of them, but from his stats it seems he flatters to deceive. If it frees up wages for someone who can make a difference it's a good thing.
    'm guessing wages weren't that large, but yes I agree.
    I like him as a player, but if he's not going to be first choice then he's only blocking a path for a youngster to get some game time

International

Good to see such a shining comment on Colwill from the Wales camp. Apparently a great attitude and very professional. Lets hope he shows it for the club in the coming season too. A good International experience could do him the world of good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57301006

We didn't pay a fee for Williams, he was a free transfer. The £50,000 quoted in the papers I believe was the total cost of brining him to Cardiff, which includes his wages. If that is the case his wages would only be about £2-3k per week, and even on that basis I thought he would stay as he would have been a cheap option compared to the likes of Bamba and Bennett. But there again, it was just press reports and we know how accurate they are.

Mind you I agree that if we hadn't signed him some more of the youngsters should have had a chance and the money would have been saved. Maybe once he was here they saw something in him that made the club not want to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    We didn't pay a fee for Williams, he was a free transfer. The £50,000 quoted in the papers I believe was the total cost of brining him to Cardiff, which includes his wages. If that is the case his wages would only be about £2-3k per week, and even on that basis I thought he would stay as he would have been a cheap option compared to the likes of Bamba and Bennett. But there again, it was just press reports and we know how accurate they are.

Mind you I agree that if we hadn't signed him some more of the youngsters should have had a chance and the money would have been saved. Maybe once he was here they saw something in him that made the club not want to keep him.
    Fair enough - not a huge gamble

Fair enough - not a huge gamble
    Agreed. I even think he's capable of doing something at the Euros as a cameo, but he's arguably not suited to the rough and tumble of regular league football.

But the club didn`t withdraw a contract offer. They offered him a new contract long before his recent injury but he refused to sign it because he was asking for improved terms. If he had signed it , he would now have a contract but it was him who allowed the deal to lapse before his existing contract ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    But the club didn`t withdraw a contract offer. They offered him a new contract long before his recent injury but he refused to sign it because he was asking for improved terms. If he had signed it , he would now have a contract but it was him who allowed the deal to lapse before his existing contract ran out.
    A 31 year old asking for improved terms in the current circumstances shows either how out of touch footballers are with the real world or how they are led by greedy agents. I suspect a combination of both.