+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retained list released

Re: Retained list released

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    A 31 year old asking for improved terms in the current circumstances shows either how out of touch footballers are with the real world or how they are led by greedy agents. I suspect a combination of both.
    Yeah, I would have offered him improved terms........improved for the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    A 31 year old asking for improved terms in the current circumstances shows either how out of touch footballers are with the real world or how they are led by greedy agents. I suspect a combination of both.
    Perhaps, or they just know they can get more money. If Watford were sniffing about, I think he'd have got a pay rise. I don't blame footballers looking out for themselves, clubs certainly don't. Bennett knew there was a risk of not signing a contract, he's gambled and whether it pays off will be known in the next few months!

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    The club isn't a charity
    Maybe not. I do however remember when it was more of a family including supporters players and everyone else.
    We know that players can’t play forever, and can’t be kept on too long when this is the case. The circumstances around Joe’s unexpected long term injury at a time when his contract was in negotiation and he was playing marvellously, when taken together with his past loyalty and commitment warranted some leeway though in my opinion.
    For example , he could have been put on half wages for 3/4 months during his recovery.
    I’m no doubt very old fashioned but I regard this as very heartless and unnecessary .
    It seems that there’s very little of the esprit de Corps which used to connect us remaining. We can often see this in these forums in fact, and personally I regard the treatment of Joe in this case as a serious indicator of changed attitudes. I do think that those who conduct themselves dishonourably cannot expect to be rewarded with good fortune and success.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Maybe not. I do however remember when it was more of a family including supporters players and everyone else.
    We know that players can’t play forever, and can’t be kept on too long when this is the case. The circumstances around Joe’s unexpected long term injury at a time when his contract was in negotiation and he was playing marvellously, when taken together with his past loyalty and commitment warranted some leeway though in my opinion.
    For example , he could have been put on half wages for 3/4 months during his recovery.
    I’m no doubt very old fashioned but I regard this as very heartless and unnecessary .
    It seems that there’s very little of the esprit de Corps which used to connect us remaining. We can often see this in these forums in fact, and personally I regard the treatment of Joe in this case as a serious indicator of changed attitudes. I do think that those who conduct themselves dishonourably cannot expect to be rewarded with good fortune and success.
    I don't think we've acted dishonourably at all.
    We've offered a contract based on what we think he's worth and what we can afford, he's turned it down thinking he can get more
    Then he's had a nasty injury and everything has changed, he'd obviously be worth less to us now if he can't play for half the season. Vry unfortunate on his part but those are the breaks. It often works the other way around where a player will sign a new contract and then get injured and the club still pick up the bill - think of Isaac Vassell for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think we've acted dishonourably at all.
    We've offered a contract based on what we think he's worth and what we can afford, he's turned it down thinking he can get more
    Then he's had a nasty injury and everything has changed, he'd obviously be worth less to us now if he can't play for half the season. Vry unfortunate on his part but those are the breaks. It often works the other way around where a player will sign a new contract and then get injured and the club still pick up the bill - think of Isaac Vassell for example.

True, and that’d certainly have been the case if they’d kept Williams. We’ve had plenty of low contributing injury prone people (Richards etc etc etc) and not complained too much but here’s a player who’s been here a long time , not been injured much and always given heart and soul on and off the field. What’s more, I’m personally of the opinion that he’d have more than repaid it once fit because it’s hard to think of a better player in the championship in that position.
    Maybe Middlesbrough or even Watford will risk three months wages to get him working for them .

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    True, and that’d certainly have been the case if they’d kept Williams. We’ve had plenty of low contributing injury prone people (Richards etc etc etc) and not complained too much but here’s a player who’s been here a long time , not been injured much and always given heart and soul on and off the field. What’s more, I’m personally of the opinion that he’d have more than repaid it once fit because it’s hard to think of a better player in the championship in that position.
    Maybe Middlesbrough or even Watford will risk three months wages to get him working for them .
    I've been as big a fan of Bennett as anyone on here, even when others were slagging him off, but to offer another deal now would make little sense

James Waite and Ryan Reynolds, two of the U23's released this summer, have signed for Penybont FC

The Cymru Premier will have a real mix of Cardiff City's former youth players and Wales' Euro 2016 heroes playing in it next year - Dave Edwards recently made his debut for Bala which has added to Jazz Richards and David Cotterill.

Ben Cabango having a loan at TNS before reaching Euros 2020 and Priestley Farquharson going from Connah's Quay Nomads to Newport County so a little bit of interest whichever angle you're looking from.