+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retained list released

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Retained list released

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    We didn't pay a fee for Williams, he was a free transfer. The £50,000 quoted in the papers I believe was the total cost of brining him to Cardiff, which includes his wages. If that is the case his wages would only be about £2-3k per week, and even on that basis I thought he would stay as he would have been a cheap option compared to the likes of Bamba and Bennett. But there again, it was just press reports and we know how accurate they are.

Mind you I agree that if we hadn't signed him some more of the youngsters should have had a chance and the money would have been saved. Maybe once he was here they saw something in him that made the club not want to keep him.
    Fair enough - not a huge gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Fair enough - not a huge gamble
    Agreed. I even think he's capable of doing something at the Euros as a cameo, but he's arguably not suited to the rough and tumble of regular league football.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    But the club didn`t withdraw a contract offer. They offered him a new contract long before his recent injury but he refused to sign it because he was asking for improved terms. If he had signed it , he would now have a contract but it was him who allowed the deal to lapse before his existing contract ran out.
    A 31 year old asking for improved terms in the current circumstances shows either how out of touch footballers are with the real world or how they are led by greedy agents. I suspect a combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    A 31 year old asking for improved terms in the current circumstances shows either how out of touch footballers are with the real world or how they are led by greedy agents. I suspect a combination of both.
    Perhaps, or they just know they can get more money. If Watford were sniffing about, I think he'd have got a pay rise. I don't blame footballers looking out for themselves, clubs certainly don't. Bennett knew there was a risk of not signing a contract, he's gambled and whether it pays off will be known in the next few months!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Yeah, I would have offered him improved terms........improved for the club!

James Waite and Ryan Reynolds, two of the U23's released this summer, have signed for Penybont FC

The Cymru Premier will have a real mix of Cardiff City's former youth players and Wales' Euro 2016 heroes playing in it next year - Dave Edwards recently made his debut for Bala which has added to Jazz Richards and David Cotterill.

Ben Cabango having a loan at TNS before reaching Euros 2020 and Priestley Farquharson going from Connah's Quay Nomads to Newport County so a little bit of interest whichever angle you're looking from.