+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saka, who?

Saka, who?

Bit touchy those English lot, I only asked who Saka was, as I didn’t know

Re: Saka, who?

Saka of ?

On 1 October 2020, Saka was called up to the England senior squad for the first time, and made his international debut as one of the starters in a 3–0 victory over Wales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukayo_Saka
    England have selected Mount, Foden, Bellingham, Rice and Saka as midfielders aged under 23. That's a heck of a lot of talent already and potential to be great going forward - they should be a force over next couple of tournaments.

On the plus side, their keepers and defenders look a little less good.

their youngest squad since 1996

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    England have selected Mount, Foden, Bellingham, Rice and Saka as midfielders aged under 23. That's a heck of a lot of talent already and potential to be great going forward - they should be a force over next couple of tournaments.

On the plus side, their keepers and defenders look a little less good.
    Don't forget Sancho who is only 21 .

Greenwood already looks good at tender age of 19

Rashford is a veteran at 23

Feedback

when the walls fell.

All those talented players and a wally in a waistcoat in charge them.

Gareth I pick players on form not reputation Southgate but then takes 4 right backs and a plethora of injured players and drops arguably their most in-form midfielder. Jesse Lingard doesnt make the 26 but is starting tonight because of injuries. You couldnt make it up.

They will always find a way of screwing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    All those talented players and a wally in a waistcoat in charge them.

Gareth I pick players on form not reputation Southgate but then takes 4 right backs and a plethora of injured players and drops arguably their most in-form midfielder. Jesse Lingard doesnt make the 26 but is starting tonight because of injuries. You couldnt make it up.

They will always find a way of screwing it up.
    I don't think their squad selection is that bad, they have the players to play in a few different ways.
    Even we've taken 3 right backs.

Lingard has been good for half a season, but he doesn't get close to starting for them with the other midfielders they have, the 26th selection isn't probably going to feature much so I'd probably take TAA ahead of Lingard with a view to future tournaments anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think their squad selection is that bad, they have the players to play in a few different ways.

Lingard has been good for half a season, but he doesn't get close to starting for them with the other midfielders they have, the 26th selection isn't probably going to feature much so I'd probably take TAA ahead of Lingard with a view to future tournaments anyway.
    Hes closer to starting for them than an injured Jordan Henderson. As good as Grealish is hes also coming off the back of a fairly long injury. Lingard has been excellent for half a season, the most current half a season, and so makes a mockery of Southgates claims than he picks on form not reputation.

Same old England, picking on reputation not form. It will be their downfall again.

As for the rightbacks they could have taken 3 and still had the options to play different ways. Surely its better to have more match winners than right backs / wing backs.

The comparison to us is a bit silly we can just about muster 26 senior internationals.

Hes closer to starting for them than an injured Jordan Henderson. Lingard has been excellent for half a season, the most current half a season, and so makes a mockery of Southgates claims than he picks on form not reputation.

Same old England, picking on reputation not form. It will be their downfall again.

As for the rightbacks they could have taken 3 and still had the options to play different ways. Surely its better to have more match winners than right backs. Lingard is a match winner, Trippier isnt.
    the players they pick will likely be in good form too, they've just had 3 clubs reach European finals.
    Even with the form he has been in Lingard isn't that great - he isn't an improvement on their other attacking midfielders.

England's problem in previous tournaments hasn't been picking on reputation it has been trying to shoehorn all of their attacking players into a formation that doesn't make sense. I think Southgate will pick a *more* balanced side - it'll have issues and probably be too defensive but hey.

They probaby won't win it, but they have a good chance

the players they pick will likely be in good form too, they've just had 3 clubs reach European finals.
    Even with the form he has been in Lingard isn't that great - he isn't an improvement on their other attacking midfielders.

England's problem in previous tournaments hasn't been picking on reputation it has been trying to shoehorn all of their attacking players into a formation that doesn't make sense. I think Southgate will pick a *more* balanced side - it'll have issues and probably be too defensive but hey.

City and Man U have reached finals but Rashford and Sterling haven’t been in good form. How can Grealish and Henderson be in good form when they’ve been injured for months??

You like your stats per minutes played well Lingard has had a goal involvement every 109 minutes this season, Rashford 127 and Sterling 143. More of Rashford and Sterlings contributions were first half of the season too whilst Lingards we’re 2nd half of season.

He’s clearly the form player and it makes a mockery of Southgate saying he picks on form not reputation.

You like your stats per minutes played well Lingard has had a goal involvement every 109 minutes this season, Rashford 127 and Sterling 143. More of Rashford and Sterlings contributions were first half of the season too whilst Lingards we’re 2nd half of season.

He’s clearly the form player and it makes a mockery of Southgate saying he picks on form not reputation.
    He had a purple patch in March/April, and has 1 assist in his last 6 games

I thought Saka was a full back, then got picked in Southgates Euro squad as a forward. Might play left back tonight.
    Meanwhile Lingaard who didnt get into the squad might also play?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I thought Saka was a full back, then got picked in Southgates Euro squad as a forward. Might play left back tonight.
    Meanwhile Lingaard who didnt get into the squad might also play?
    Saka can play in about half a dozen positions

Saka can play in about half a dozen positions
    Arsenal's very own Callum Paterson

Scored England's winner tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Scored England's winner tonight.
    Assisted by Lingard

Place up for grabs with TAA getting injured.

Place up for grabs with TAA getting injured.
    good chance lingard will go tbf

good chance lingard will go tbf
    Chance to even out the squad a bit

one player in a 26 man squad isn't going to make a huge amount of difference to how balanced it is. they usually only have a 23 man squad

https://twitter.com/GraceOnFootball/...997806082?s=19

although this is also an interesting observation

https://twitter.com/GraceOnFootball/...997806082?s=19

although this is also an interesting observation
    and it has turned out to be correct, Ben White called up this morning