Punk rock? Discuss.

Throw Eighteen into the mix too.

Re: I wanna be elected

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Punk rock? Discuss.

Throw Eighteen into the mix too.
    Rock

For me punk has that tinny sound

If we are looking at punk as an attitude then songs like eighteen etc could be thrown in I suppose . For me punk was just a name for a brand of rebellious music that in general was quite lightweight

The heavier end of punk had more in common with heavy rock and metal

Babylons Burning , very heavy guitar , Dead Kennedys , Pistols .....some of their stuff was flat out riffing

In the states Jesus Lizard , Big Black , Butthole Surfers , Rollins Band were all thrown in at the tail end of punk , husker du , nirvana , Melvins etc but these were all rock bands really

I often laugh when people say they hate heavy rock music yet are quite happy to listen to the heavy guitars of bodies from never mind the bollocks or lithium by nirvana , it doesn't get much heavier than that

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://youtu.be/LiQW1TlDZMU

Everyone's gonna rock 🎸 to the rules that I make

Classic
    hello hurray..let the show begin

Rock

If we are looking at punk as an attitude then songs like eighteen etc could be thrown in I suppose . For me punk was just a name for a brand of rebellious music that in general was quite lightweight

Babylons Burning , very heavy guitar , Dead Kennedys , Pistols .....some of their stuff was flat out riffing

In the states Jesus Lizard , Big Black , Butthole Surfers , Rollins Band were all thrown in at the tail end of punk , husker du , nirvana , Melvins etc but these were all rock bands really

I often laugh when people say they hate heavy rock music yet are quite happy to listen to the heavy guitars of bodies from never mind the bollocks or lithium by nirvana , it doesn't get much heavier than that
    Exactly. The guitar tones on Never Mind The Bollocks are blistering. Full-on Gibson Les Paul through a Fender Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Exactly. The guitar tones on Never Mind The Bollocks are blistering. Full-on Gibson Les Paul through a Fender Twin.
    The bass , drums and guitar at the start of bodies could have been on a slayer album who were , incidentally , big sex pistols fans

https://youtu.be/LiQW1TlDZMU

Everyone's gonna rock 🎸 to the rules that I make

Classic
    Great song and I love the album it appears on. The song is a reworked version of their debut single "Reflected" from their album of 1969, Pretties for You. Although it was released in time for the 1972 U.S. presidential elections it's got an apolitical message, don't trust any of them!

What many people don't realise is that up until 1974 Alice Cooper were very much a band. On Billion Dollar Babies their rhythm guitarist Michael Bruce co-wrote eight of the songs. Elected was a group composition.

Rock

That's when grunge evevolved I've been to Big Black , Husku Du gigs and that wall of sound and energy was blistering , Buttholes were another heavy sound project all together , for me punk was tame compared to this lot.

Rock

In the late 70s there was a clear divide between Punk and Heavy Metal, punks hated the metal fraternity and vice-versa. Both genres may have been rock but musically were completely different, let's face it Iron Maiden sounded nothing like a punk band.

Some punk was a bit lightweight, but some of the other stuff like The Damned's first album was high energy punk rock influenced by the Stooges.

Nirvana were a rock band but their sound was more rooted in Indie rock/Grunge and a million miles away from the likes of Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains.

Nothing lightweight about this punk band from 1977
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80muImiU2LI

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Johnny View Post
    In the late 70s there was a clear divide between Punk and Heavy Metal, punks hated the metal fraternity and vice-versa. Both genres may have been rock but musically were completely different, let's face it Iron Maiden sounded nothing like a punk band.

Some punk was a bit lightweight, but some of the other stuff like The Damned's first album was high energy punk rock influenced by the Stooges.

Nirvana were a rock band but their sound was more rooted in Indie rock/Grunge and a million miles away from the likes of Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains.

Alice in Chains and Sound garden were heavy rock bands classed by the press as grunge

They were both heavy as feck

Great song and I love the album it appears on. The song is a reworked version of their debut single "Reflected" from their album of 1969, Pretties for You. Although it was released in time for the 1972 U.S. presidential elections it's got an apolitical message, don't trust any of them!

What many people don't realise is that up until 1974 Alice Cooper were very much a band. On Billion Dollar Babies their rhythm guitarist Michael Bruce co-wrote eight of the songs. Elected was a group composition.
    no more Mr Nice Guy is a great song

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    That's when grunge evevolved I've been to Big Black , Husku Du gigs and that wall of sound and energy was blistering , Buttholes were another heavy sound project all together , for me punk was tame compared to this lot.
    alternative rock wasn't it ?

Iron Maiden just sounded crap

Killer..Alice Cooper..great album