+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ollie Robinson/Twitter

Ollie Robinson/Twitter

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.o...ket%2F57335528

Test debut yesterday. 27 years old should be one of the best days of his life and racist and sexist tweets emerge from when he was 18 and 19.

Robinson has seemingly turned his career around after being released at 18 due to his attitude.

Wonder if these tweets will end his Test Career just as its starting. England arent exactly short of bowling options.

Re: Ollie Robinson/Twitter

seems like an 18 year old being a twat and trying to be controversial and edgy.
    he should definitely apologize but I wouldn't want to see him lose his career over it.
    but then I suppose that's easy for me to say as I'm not in any of the group's he's offended

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    seems like an 18 year old being a twat and trying to be controversial and edgy.
    he should definitely apologize but I wouldn't want to see him lose his career over it.
    but then I suppose that's easy for me to say as I'm not in any of the group's he's offended
    I guess it depends on how he responds now. Some would say if the public aren't bothered then the behaviour is fine and no need to apologise but that doesn't show growing up and learning after the incident.

I don't want to see it become a scenario where individual a carries those beliefs still but was smart/wealthy enough to employ someone to go back through and delete messages so they go unpunished and individual b doesn't carry those beliefs still but didn't clean up their account and is therefore punished.

Dance like no one is watching and write like one day it will be read out in court, eh?

He’s just taken his fourth wicket and his second today - he also took nine wickets in an innings against Glamorgan a few weeks ago. I’ve got mixed feelings about Robinson because I’m sure there are plenty of capped internationals in all sports who’ve done worse than behave like a sad troll almost a decade ago, but what he said is out there now and people won’t forget it - I know my opinion of him is a lot different now than it was this time yesterday.

On balance, I think Hilts is right - Robinson is going to find it hard to add many caps to his one because he’s got plenty of competition and, although I don’t feel they’ll end his England career, those tweets will always be held against him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He’s just taken his fourth wicket and his second today - he also took nine wickets in an innings against Glamorgan a few weeks ago. I’ve got mixed feelings about Robinson because I’m sure there are plenty of capped internationals in all sports who’ve done worse than behave like a sad troll almost a decade ago, but what he said is out there now and people won’t forget it - I know my opinion of him is a lot different now than it was this time yesterday.

On balance, I think Hilts is right - Robinson is going to find it hard to add many caps to his one because he’s got plenty of competition and, although I don’t feel they’ll end his England career, those tweets will always be held against him.
    Robinson will play again, he's too good not to. Also, a number of the Yorkshire players who have labelled many of the coaches and higher ups as racist, have said Robinson isn't.

Immensely stupid at best but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems genuinely mortified by it all, rather than Craig Overton who said he spoke to Azhar Ali in the dressing room so he can't be racist

This is a tough one as a lot of 18 year old's have pasts and make mistakes looks like he has gown up and is a better person , lets hope he is allowed to move on and cease his moment he maybe 27 , lets not forget Jimmy Anderson is still bowling at 38 , Glenn McGrath retired at 36.

First Team

For me he needs to publicly apologise and condemn wholeheartedly racism. There is no point in hanging him out to dry but he needs to recognise those messages were and continue to be unacceptable.

Kid trying to be edgy for RT's and attention. I don't know how more people aren't aware of or look for sites like tweetdelete where you can just delete everything or up to a certain date. If in the public eye, even non offensive jibberish I'd personally want removed.

Also quite sad in some ways that someone has looked back that far.

Now it's out there he will have to come out and apologise which will probably draw even more mainstream media attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Kid trying to be edgy for RT's and attention. I don't know how more people aren't aware of or look for sites like tweetdelete where you can just delete everything or up to a certain date. If in the public eye, even non offensive jibberish I'd personally want removed.

Also quite sad in some ways that someone has looked back that far.

Now it's out there he will have to come out and apologise which will probably draw even more mainstream media attention to it.
    He apologised straight after play yesterday.

He was a 18 year old acting the knob on social media, he has apologised, should be the end of it now

Of course he might have been suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    He apologised straight after play yesterday.
    Fair enough, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    For me he needs to publicly apologise and condemn wholeheartedly racism. There is no point in hanging him out to dry but he needs to recognise those messages were and continue to be unacceptable.
    He already has publicly apologised.
    Why should it end his career?
    He was 18/19 for god sake.
    He hasn't done any since so has obviously grown up as we all do.

Wonderful to see the lad deliver with both bat and ball yesterday well done that man , don't let the Internet history searchers bring you do we all make mistakes in life .

Robinson has been suspended and released from the squad for the 2nd Test.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Robinson has been suspended and released from the squad for the 2nd Test.
    Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Incredible
    though expected made a mistake, apologised for it, would have been end of the story years ago, but not these days for a certain section of society slowly but surely they are winning

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    though expected made a mistake, apologised for it, would have been end of the story years ago, but not these days for a certain section of society slowly but surely they are winning
    Nonsense. He was 18 years old and he said some vile things in the public domain. He's representing his country and is now very high profile. What do you expect the ECB should do, just say that he was a daft young adult and that it's all ok now? He surely has to answer to what he said, explain himself and show that he doesn't think like that anymore. If someone of the same age in employment, higher education etc used those words, then they would be up the road, and rightly so. This bloke isn't being singled out, he's being treated the same way any of us would in our job if we used language like that.

I hope that it's all sorted out, that he understands what he did, explains himself and resumes his career, nobody should have to pay forever, that's ridiculous and a huge waste, nobody wins in my opinion. Stop apologising for piss poor behaviour, or maybe behaviour that doesn't particularly bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nonsense. He was 18 years old and he said some vile things in the public domain. He's representing his country and is now very high profile. What do you expect the ECB should do, just say that he was a daft young adult and that it's all ok now? He surely has to answer to what he said, explain himself and show that he doesn't think like that anymore. If someone of the same age in employment, higher education etc used those words, then they would be up the road, and rightly so. This bloke isn't being singled out, he's being treated the same way any of us would in our job if we used language like that.

I hope that it's all sorted out, that he understands what he did, explains himself and resumes his career, nobody should have to pay forever, that's ridiculous and a huge waste, nobody wins in my opinion. Stop apologising for piss poor behaviour, or maybe behaviour that doesn't particularly bother you.
    During the really bad weeks and months of lockdown we had "celebrities" queuing up to apologise for breaking the rules. Occasionally they'd do it more than once - Rita Ora for example - merely apologising for breaking rules or making offensive comments is not always enough.

These days, people who feel it is inexcusable to make the sort of comments Ollie Robinson did are made out to be the villains of the piece because they are considered "woke" - what sort of bizzaro world are we living in where it's the people who find inexcusable comments offensive who are put on the defensive?

Ollie Robinson is an impressive cricketer and I admire the way he has reacted on the pitch under pressure since the news of the tweets he made broke. He will be back for England I'm sure, but, to use the catchall term, he has been guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and should be punished - offering an apology eight or nine years after the event only after what he did has come to light is no defence and if people just thought about that, rather than rushing to make political points , they would see things more clearly,

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

Apologies, double post.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    During the really bad weeks and months of lockdown we had "celebrities" queuing up to apologise for breaking the rules. Occasionally they'd do it more than once - Rita Ora for example - merely apologising for breaking rules or making offensive comments is not always enough.

These days, people who feel it is inexcusable to make the sort of comments Ollie Robinson did are made out to be the villains of the piece because they are considered "woke" - what sort of bizzaro world are we living in where it's the people who find inexcusable comments offensive who are put on the defensive?

Ollie Robinson is an impressive cricketer and I admire the way he has reacted on the pitch under pressure since the news of the tweets he made broke. He will be back for England I'm sure, but, to use the catchall term, he has been guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and should be punished - offering an apology eight or nine years after the event only after what he did has come to light is no defence and if people just thought about that, rather than rushing to make political points , they would see things more clearly,
    The thing is, it's all white people who think it's ok for an apology like the one he has given, a bit like apologising to your sister 20 years on, because it was really you who broke her record player! Not a chance. The problem is that plain old sorry just aint enough. He needs to show that he isn't a racist, he has to do something physical, get involved etc, that's the same for all of us. No doubt i'll have the usual wankers on my case, trotting out the usual cliched, apologist crap.

To add... Imagine if this had been a young British Pakistani playing for England, And what came to light was him encouraging Terrorism, Hatred towards jews etc. on the old Twitter. I wonder how that would go down? Ahh, it's nothing, he was a kid' The P.C brigade are winning...

I've tried to cast my mind back to when I was 18. Quite difficult I must say!
    I certainly said and did some strange things at that age, but did I ever abuse anyone, racially, or in other ways? I think not. I doubt that if Twitter had been about that i would have said the same things as Robinson either.
    No, i dont think what he said was acceptable and to me is a reflection of a mindset which he probably still holds today.
    It is disappointing that reasonable posters on here cannot see what he says is unacceptable and goes a long way to explaining the unpleasant country we have become.
    Robinson will be reinstated eventually, as he should but like another poster has said, he needs to show in a tangible manner that his attitude has changed.

One of his tweets was "hanging like Gary Speed", sent a few months after the suicide.

I wonder what the reaction on here would have been at the time had it been shared when he was a nobody.

Every 18-19 year old boy has done something they wouldn't do or say now. It's about growing up. I think having comments shown to the nation is humiliating and punishment enough.

I don't really see what holding him to account now about views he no longer relates to. There needs to be some sort of timescale as these things are going to keep presenting themselves over and over again. If he had a conviction for them, would have been spent now, he didn't move on.