+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Punk ? Just a great rock band

Re: Punk ? Just a great rock band

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They were never really punk. They rode that wave for a bit though.

I think The Raven is my favorite album of theirs.
    What would you call The Clash? My fave band besides The Jam and just in front of The Cocteau Twins.

The Clash played pretty much any genre, were they really a punk band?

have this..
    and you've never even herad of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    have this..
    and you've never even herad of 'em
    I like that , clearly punk with a rock edge

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    What would you call The Clash? My fave band besides The Jam and just in front of The Cocteau Twins.

Londons burning is clearly a rock band in action , hard riffing

The Jam were a rock band once they hit their stride , burning sky off setting sons is immense

Same with who , early days they were dancing around , then they cranked it up to 11

you can't beat a screaming poly styrene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaxfc03Fqk

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Londons burning is clearly a rock band in action , hard riffing

The Jam were a rock band once they hit their stride , burning sky off setting sons is immense

Same with who , early days they were dancing around , then they cranked it up to 11
    The Clash's first album is punk rock, on London Calling, their third album, they decided to cover other genres.

A fusion of punk, rockabilly, reggae, ska, R&B and pop.

lets liven things up here tonight

love song the damned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m2JyiggwAU

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Best punk band I ever saw. Top Rank a few months before Owen died.

Babylon's Burning
    Jah War
    In a Rut

Classics in my eyes
    ..yes..I concur..he was an animal..saw them at Cambridge

moving on post punk the last remaining genre of music that keeps me interested the thrashing guitars of the indie music scene and the guvnors of that scene a tune from the wedding present . indie music gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JvCqfB-m-E

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    The Ruts..now there's a band..
    my mate threw a half full can of Stella at Owen..caught him right between the eyes on his forehead...watch the Top of the Pops vid of Babylon's Burning...you can see the fresh scar clearly..bloody good shot sir..
    What on earth possessed your mate to chuck a half full can of Stella and the finest punk vocalist of them all? An act of great cowardice I must say. I bet you, he wouldn't have the bottle or bollocks to have a go at Malcolm Owen face to face, the gutless little shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Wiggy View Post
    Some people have said that the New York Dolls were the first punk band but you could go back as far as Syd Barrett and early Who/Stooges.
    I'd suggest the Velvet Underground may hold the mantle of first punks In my humble view , when you match thier music versus that of the age .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd suggest the Velvet Underground may hold the mantle of first punks In my humble view , when you match thier music versus that of the age .
    The Kinks did some noisy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes, the Velvets are one of my favourite bands and would probably be called proto-punk if you want to put labels on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    What on earth possessed your mate to chuck a half full can of Stella and the finest punk vocalist of them all? An act of great cowardice I must say. I bet you, he wouldn't have the bottle or bollocks to have a go at Malcolm Owen face to face, the gutless little shit!
    ..ooh you're hard..

..ooh you're hard..
    ..the can was half empty btw..🤣

Yes, the Velvets are one of my favourite bands and would probably be called proto-punk if you want to put labels on things.
    Killing Joke were often called proto metal for their influence on the industrial heavy scene for bands like ministry , prong , fear factory

proto metal?
    googled it and was none the wiser

Loaded is an astonishing album when you consider its release date of 1970 , previous to that they release White light / White Heat in 68 and were playing whatever you want to call it from 1965 , if you look at the charts at that time you quickly realise how progressive , avant-garde , punk attituded , they were ..

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    proto metal?
    googled it and was none the wiser
    Primitive , early , originators of industrial metal later taken up by godflesh , ministry , prong , fear factory and similar bands

..ooh you're hard..
    I'm not hard at all matey, just being brutally honest

Recorded in 1974, proto-punk from Krautrock band Neu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbfVXCWz9jY

never heard that before lost johnny so much joy division in that

merci

Recorded in 1972, industrial type music from Neu! They were well ahead of their time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HfAHSKWlk

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post

Their music transcends genre. But they obviously started off in the London punk scene. They were young. They dressed like punks. The Stranglers were older, more musical and had formed in 74 or 75 I think. What does it matter? I remember reading an interview in one of the music papers where Paul Weller after being asked if the Jam were a mod band said something like "we're a punk band, we came in with it and we're sticking with it". Elizabeth Fraser had a (later removed) "Sid Vicious" tattoo on her arm.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Their music transcends genre. But they obviously started off in the London punk scene. They were young. They dressed like punks. The Stranglers were older, more musical and had formed in 74 or 75 I think. What does it matter? I remember reading an interview in one of the music papers where Paul Weller after being asked if the Jam were a mod band said something like "we're a punk band, we came in with it and we're sticking with it". Elizabeth Fraser had a (later removed) "Sid Vicious" tattoo on her arm.
    Cocteau Twins now they had a very complex layered guitar sound

Indie , now that's another one

Smashing Pumpkins were liked by a mate of mine who said he hated heavy rock but some of the stuff they came out with was pure led zep

They were more in common with kerrang or sounds than the NME or Melody Maker