+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxford

Oxford

Went there Wednesday

Not what I expected - just an expensive Cardiff

Was expecting small and rural with quaint shops and artisan bakeries. Instead chain stores and It was packed

Not for me

Re: Oxford

I blame Inspector Morse.
    He made it all look too quaint, but in reality it has the highest murder rate in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Went there Wednesday

Not what I expected - just an expensive Cardiff

Was expecting small and rural with quaint shops and artisan bakeries. Instead chain stores and It was packed

Not for me
    Tis the case in most towns and cities in the UK. Santander, WHSmith and all the other brands occupying properties with enormous plate glass windows at street level. You often have to look up to take in the architecture. I posted a message on here a couple of years ago saying that I though Cardiff city centre had become more soulless but I was harangued for it. Still, I can cope

International

I know a guy who used to play for one of the big BBC orchestras. They got expenses where ever thy went and hey all loved a beer, when you see the orchestra on TV they are likely all half pissed.
    But in Oxford they never drank even on expenses. They called it the Rip-off Capital of Britain, and having had to work there at Magdalene College for several weeks I agree with them.
    you pay extra just for being in Oxford, big deal!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I blame Inspector Morse.
    He made it all look too quaint, but in reality it has the highest murder rate in the country.
    Fair play, I had to do a double take on that!

Why are so many people called Don in Oxford?

Oxford is a strange place

All the nice buildings , some posh suburbs but some less than squeaky clean areas

Oxford East is one of the only labour seats in the south east of England outside of London

Cowley , Blackbird Leys , Wood farm, all traditional working class districts

I never used to go into Oxford City Centre at night , the locals ran the place

The student area , cowley road was OK

First Team

Outside of the University area Oxford can be a surprisingly rough old place and quite industrial.

Cambridge on the other hand is quite stunning and has, in the main, been sympathetically developed. The only problem is that those from the surrounding areas are a strange lot to the point of making people from the Forest of Dean look reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Tis the case in most towns and cities in the UK. Santander, WHSmith and all the other brands occupying properties with enormous plate glass windows at street level. You often have to look up to take in the architecture. I posted a message on here a couple of years ago saying that I though Cardiff city centre had become more soulless but I was harangued for it. Still, I can cope
    Yes almost all UK cities look basically the same

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Outside of the University area Oxford can be a surprisingly rough old place and quite industrial.

Cambridge on the other hand is quite stunning and has, in the main, been sympathetically developed. The only problem is that those from the surrounding areas are a strange lot to the point of making people from the Forest of Dean look reasonable.
    The Forest Of Dean .......Deliverance

Hereford ........Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Hereford ........Ditto
    Bridgwater: The home of the Family version of Naked Twister.

I love Oxford. I lived there for four years a student. The Cornmarket and Westgate Centre are like any city's shopping streets but there is plenty more. If you want artisan type stuff, go to the Covered Market or to Summertown in North Oxford, 15 minutes walk or 5-minute bus-ride from the centre. Walk from the centre down the High, past Magdalen College, over Magdalen Bridge, and you're in Cowley Road, a multicultural working-class area with lots of cheap restaurants, and cheapish pubs with happy-hour deals etc. Accommodation (permanent and hotel-wise) is expensive but you can live there quite cheaply if you know the right places (and the right people - there's a good community spirit).

Oye Sludge I’ve always been polite and smiled at your tales of daring do & debauchery. As a long time resident of the Forest of Dean I cannot accept your comments, now get back in your canoe & paddle on by

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Wiggy View Post
    I love Oxford. I lived there for four years a student. The Cornmarket and Westgate Centre are like any city's shopping streets but there is plenty more. If you want artisan type stuff, go to the Covered Market or to Summertown in North Oxford, 15 minutes walk or 5-minute bus-ride from the centre. Walk from the centre down the High, past Magdalen College, over Magdalen Bridge, and you're in Cowley Road, a multicultural working-class area with lots of cheap restaurants, and cheapish pubs with happy-hour deals etc. Accommodation (permanent and hotel-wise) is expensive but you can live there quite cheaply if you know the right places (and the right people - there's a good community spirit).
    east Oxford is certainly bohemian in its own little way

Used to drink in the bullingdon when I lived on cowley road

Lived above a kebab house , which was handy

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Oye Sludge I’ve always been polite and smiled at your tales of daring do & debauchery. As a long time resident of the Forest of Dean I cannot accept your comments, now get back in your canoe & paddle on by
    Cinderford

Innit

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

I’m glad someone mentioned foresters (people who reside in the Forest of Dean)....really weird, seem to hate everyone particularly Welsh folks

Hereford ........Ditto
    Spot on...banjo playing toothless freaks sitting on every bridge

east Oxford is certainly bohemian in its own little way

Used to drink in the bullingdon when I lived on cowley road

Lived above a kebab house , which was handy
    Yes, really great down-to-earth area.Good mix of locals and students but an area which tends to repel the more unsavoury students. A huge number of twats in the student community but some very notable exceptions.I lived further down the Cowley Road, virtually in Cowley.

Many friends still in Cowley Road, so I always get a free place to crash when I visit.

There's not much happening in Summertown, unless you mean the town end, just a shitload of expensive houses and Peter Hitchens, enough to put anyone off Walking the canal is nice, and just south of Headington is Shotover country park, loads of wildlife etc. I was back and forth Oxford for 2 years. It's alright, first time i heard the phrase'Townie or Gownie' The A420 in to Oxford is great if you want to play road kill bingo, never have i seen so many dead Rabbits, Deer, Pheasants, Badgers etc. Probably shot by the locals

Yes, really great down-to-earth area.Good mix of locals and students but an area which tends to repel the more unsavoury students. A huge number of twats in the student community but some very notable exceptions.I lived further down the Cowley Road, virtually in Cowley.

Many friends still in Cowley Road, so I always get a free place to crash when I visit.
    Lived at bottom end of cowley road , opposite the park

Used to go swimming in temple cowley pool

Lived there 1990 to 93

Venue was main music place , Union was main pub

Saw Radiohead there in front of about 50 people

They were crap so nothing has changed

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's not much happening in Summertown, unless you mean the town end, just a shitload of expensive houses and Peter Hitchens, enough to put anyone off Walking the canal is nice, and just south of Headington is Shotover country park, loads of wildlife etc. I was back and forth Oxford for 2 years. It's alright, first time i heard the phrase'Townie or Gownie' The A420 in to Oxford is great if you want to play road kill bingo, never have i seen so many dead Rabbits, Deer, Pheasants, Badgers etc. Probably shot by the locals
    Good fishing in that canal

Loads of people used to live in houseboats along there

Some of them were very odd

Some of the pubs by the football ground were a bit rough

Like any town in the U.K. the high street and main town looks exactly the same.

But if you do a bit of research before you go there are plenty of great restaurants and bars/pubs just a bit off the beaten track.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Like any town in the U.K. the high street and main town looks exactly the same.

But if you do a bit of research before you go there are plenty of great restaurants and bars/pubs just a bit off the beaten track.
    I went to browns once

It was crap

I stuck to kebabs and curry

Good fishing in that canal

Loads of people used to live in houseboats along there

Some of them were very odd

Some of the pubs by the football ground were a bit rough
    One of the pubs by the old manor ground is called The Brittania, Oxford could muster up a handy little mob. The best place I stayed in was iffley, Roger bannister and all that. You could cut through to Cowley rd.

Cinderford

Innit
    Oh god no, they have got 24 digits there, incest a game for all the family