+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concerts that rocked your world?

Re: Concerts that rocked your world?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Yes, North Cornelly was always blue when I was growing up, but I've been in Bridgend for over 40 years.

We used to have our own supporters bus picking up in North Cornelly, Pyle, Kenfig Hill, Cefn Cribwr, etc. When that stopped we used to pick up the Margam bus going through Pyle.
    I always remember great support from margam , taibach, North Cornelly 😀 👍

The Jam, Sophia Gardens, 10 Nov 1980

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Rollercoaster Tour - 1992. Includes..

My Bloody Valentine
    The Jesus and Mary Chain
    Blur
    Dinosaur Jr.

Countless other concerts...

In 2017 the Joshua Tree tour in Chicago was great

The Roses at Newport Center.. infamous!

Birdland at TJ's.. in fact most concerts at TJs. I think I lived there in my youth

Have to say James are one of the best bands ive seen live.

(concerts at TJs. I think I lived there in my youth) snap plus Stow Hill Labour Hall gigs . Cheap Sweaty Fun was had by all ( literally ) probably slammed danced into you a few times lol

Sabbath Capital, Queen , Tull, Rory Gallagher all at Capital Theatre .
    Bad Brains Pill Labour Hall .
    Husku Du , Butthole Surfers Stow Hill Newport.
    Lizzy Reading Festival Last Mainland Gig.
    Steve Ray Vaughan Reading.
    Dylan and Clapton Blackbush 250k plus crowd lol.
    Jessie Malin anywhere on earth.
    Marah and Black Keys Barfly.
    Springsteen Earls Court .
    Ryan Adams Brixham.
    Ted Hawkins Newport
    Every TJ gig ( too many greats to list )

what the venue on stow Hill in Newport that had the dragon in the roof ?

Fleetwood Mac, Tusk tour, Wembley, June 1980

Tina Turner, Wildest Dreams, Arms Park, July 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Fleetwood Mac, Tusk tour, Wembley, June 1980

Tina Turner, Wildest Dreams, Arms Park, July 1996
    Fleetwood Mac at their peak

And totally off their heads on booze and coke

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Gene Vincent/Eddie Cochran, Gaumont Cinema, Cardiff January 1960. Amazing performances.
    Wow! That is something. I'm genuinely envious. At that time, I'm sure your world was rocked more than any other of the show attendees on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    The Jam, Sophia Gardens, 10 Nov 1980
    It rocked my world too. But looking back it was just OK. Shit venue. Awful sound. I loved the Jam, but apart from a view songs, I don't get it anymore. They were a singles band. All Mod Cons is their only complete album and it's still far from a classic. Billy Hunt? I'd rather listen to This Is The Modern World, which is considered a second album slump.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It rocked my world too. But looking back it was just OK. Shit venue. Awful sound. I loved the Jam, but apart from a view songs, I don't get it anymore. They were a singles band. All Mod Cons is their only complete album and it's still far from a classic. Billy Hunt? I'd rather listen to This Is The Modern World, which is considered a second album slump.
    I like setting sons , I thought they hit their peak then , burning sky

Wow! That is something. I'm genuinely envious. At that time, I'm sure your world was rocked more than any other of the show attendees on this thread.
    well thats simply an opinion , I wouldn't go and see erasure but I am sure some people think they are fantastic . I think they are dreadful , insipid nonsense .

My world was rocked by Sabbath , original line up , before they became a pantomime show

2 spring to mind.
    BB King in Norwich in the late 80s. Probably didnt appreciate it enough at the time but so glad I went.
    Secondly Kate Bush at the Hammersmith Apollo in 2014. Her first concerts for 35 years and wouldn't surprise me if she never played live again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    2 spring to mind.
    BB King in Norwich in the late 80s. Probably didnt appreciate it enough at the time but so glad I went.
    Secondly Kate Bush at the Hammersmith Apollo in 2014. Her first concerts for 35 years and wouldn't surprise me if she never played live again.
    I saw BB King in Manchester 1986 , what a guitarist

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    (concerts at TJs. I think I lived there in my youth) snap plus Stow Hill Labour Hall gigs . Cheap Sweaty Fun was had by all ( literally ) probably slammed danced into you a few times lol
    Haha yes probably.

For those of us in our 40s and 50s I'm sure we would have bumped into each other at various venues in South Wales

I am sad no one bought TJs and kept it going.

I thought John Sicolo deserved some recognition for his services to music in South Wales, it's sad he passed away without that happening.

I was such a regular that John used to let me in late or when TJs was full because he knew I was either playing football or watching city. He always used to ask about city's results. He was around for almost every gig at TJs... The stories he must have had.

The amazing thing about TJs was that the diversity in acts was unbelievable... From world famous metal bands, up and coming indie bands and even boy bands. Brilliant.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Arthur lee one sunny pm at Glastonbury 2003 I think....amazing to finally see him live and out of jail
    SpireaX did an absolute mint cover of his Signed DC

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Jess Roden Band at stafford poly, 1974-ish
    I saw Jess Roden Band at Cardiff Capitol Theatre in the mid 70’s. Went out and bought their album the next day. Don’t really know what eventually happened to them .

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers at Capitol Theatre in the mid 70’s. Virtually unknown , supporting Nils Lofgren. They blew him away, and were the only support band to get the audience on their feet. You just knew this band were going to be huge. And they were.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Haha yes probably.

For those of us in our 40s and 50s I'm sure we would have bumped into each other at various venues in South Wales

I am sad no one bought TJs and kept it going.

I thought John Sicolo deserved some recognition for his services to music in South Wales, it's sad he passed away without that happening.

I was such a regular that John used to let me in late or when TJs was full because he knew I was either playing football or watching city. He always used to ask about city's results. He was around for almost every gig at TJs... The stories he must have had.

The amazing thing about TJs was that the diversity in acts was unbelievable... From world famous metal bands, up and coming indie bands and even boy bands. Brilliant.
    Great venue , great kebab shop over the road . Perfect .

Iggy Pop, at the Birmingham Hummingbird, January 1991. Unbelievable. See Iggy and die.
    Elvis Costello - numerous occasions. The consumate performer.
    Pixies - numerous occasions. Brilliant band, both live and recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I saw Jess Roden Band at Cardiff Capitol Theatre in the mid 70’s. Went out and bought their album the next day. Don’t really know what eventually happened to them .
    \They were big on the college circuit for a few years and a couple of albums, then split up.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    well thats simply an opinion , I wouldn't go and see erasure but I am sure some people think they are fantastic . I think they are dreadful , insipid nonsense .

My world was rocked by Sabbath , original line up , before they became a pantomime show
    You don't think seeing genuine, American rock n rollers in 1960 would have slightly more wow factor than seeing Sabbath in the late 70s? There probably wouldn't be a Black Sabbath without Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran.

You don't think seeing genuine, American rock n rollers in 1960 would have slightly more wow factor than seeing Sabbath in the late 70s? There probably wouldn't be a Black Sabbath without Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran.
    There probably wouldn't be a gene Vincent without the delta blues

No is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post

Yes, a fine singer / songwriter. Like you, I bought his album. 'On Broadway,' and this track are excellent tracks from that album.

https://youtu.be/uir5yFjzerw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Roden

StT.
    <><

I'm not trying to get in an argument with you, but can you imagine being a teenager in South Wales in 1960? I can't. I know you can imagine it in 1980. It wasn't that great then. But we had Sounds, Melody Maker, Radio 1, Radio Luxembourg, TOTP, OGWT, Tommy Vance if that was your thing and John ****ing Peel! In 1960, CVL probably didn't have a TV or a home phone.

Has to be Bruce Springsteen at Wembley Stadium in the 80s, think it was his Born In The USA tour, best performance I have ever seen by a mile.