+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Hand of God

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Hand of God

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    And that wonderful rag The Sun had him as turnip head when England lost to Sweden at 1992 Euros Front page spread. That paper really is the pits.
    I think that was Graham Taylor, another thoroughly decent man slaughtered by the English press. I’d just moved to London when Italia 90 was on, I found myself wanting England to do well so that Bobby Robson could show them up for the arrogant fools they are. Being a classy guy he never rose to their baiting, just went on to become one of Europe’s most sought after managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    I think that was Graham Taylor, another thoroughly decent man slaughtered by the English press. I’d just moved to London when Italia 90 was on, I found myself wanting England to do well so that Bobby Robson could show them up for the arrogant fools they are. Being a classy guy he never rose to their baiting, just went on to become one of Europe’s most sought after managers.
    Got a feeling you may be right, at my age memory goes. But both were very genuine people.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    Always worth bearing in mind the next time you see some scurrilous newspaper portraying someone as the devil incarnate.