+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gareth Bale to retire after Euro 2020

Gareth Bale to retire after Euro 2020

...apparently.

Re: Gareth Bale to retire after Euro 2020

Retire from what? Playing for Wales or football in general?

Yeah, obviously given that his worst case alternative may be to sit on his backside getting splinters while picking up £350k (allegedly) a week netto for the season.

The Sun are reporting that he's going to announce his retirement after the Euros, not that hes retiring after the Euros.
    Wouldn't surprise me if he announces that he's going to retire from International football after the World Cup - it's only 18 months away

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The Sun are reporting that he's going to announce his retirement after the Euros, not that hes retiring after the Euros.
    Wouldn't surprise me if he announces that he's going to retire from International football after the World Cup - it's only 18 months away
    I think he will want to carry on playing for Wales as the WC qualifiers and or the play offs if we need them will be his last chance to play in the World Cup Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    ..the sun are reporting?..stopped reading after that..🤣

News broke in Spain last night, and he's retiring from football all together. Apparently Real Madrid are OK with him leaving the game.

Can't see it myself. he's not played for his hometown club yet and has one year left on a very lucrative contract. There's also the matter of a world cup in 18 months

Does he have any affinity to his hometown club?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Does he have any affinity to his hometown club?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Yes.
    In what way?

Why retire when you can semi retire in Madrid on a fantastic wage for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Perhaps he's a bit embarrassed by all the money he's earning for doing f* all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan and I've enjoyed watching all the Spurs games he's played in this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Maybe he’s over playing for the Government of Spain and the worst, most fickle fans in the entire world. He is a millionaire many times over and probably would rather freedom than another 10 million

I find it unlikely he'll retire seeing as he has a great shot at the next World Cup

Only he knows his own body and maybe he knows he is on the brink and thinks better to go out on top.
    Goals per minute he was the best in the premier league last season.

If true I hope he has a change of heart as even if he gives 60 percent for his club, Bale can still be exciting to watch and a match winner.

Although as has been said, I can't see him turning down millions of pounds, being embarrassed just because someone was dumb enough to draw up a ridiculous contract.

if he can go to the heath and help the poor kids that are ill (which i think is fantastic) surely he can help out this geriatric club

Wales are two games away from a world cup. I find it incredibly hard to believe he'd retire before that.

Retiring from football ............But is going to play golf professionally.........
    Good luck to him he's got the right head for golf and I think will probably do very, very well 👍

He's on a £33M with Real Madrid. He just had a strong finish to the season with Spurs. He's not retiring. He's turning 32 and is an extremely gifted footballer who can play anywhere.

It's clickbait journalism at it's worst.

When Welsh players were having to cancel Beyonce tickets in 2016 Bale didn't have any plans until after the Euros final believing we could make it. That's his mindset and we should get behind him and it.