Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
There has definitely been a change.

I've lived in Europe and often bemoaned the lack of table service in UK pubs and clubs, in a manner seemingly commonplace in central Europe. I LOVED that Berlin clubs didn't really do bar service- it was waiter service only. But I've been really impressed by the speed at which UK pubs, clubs and bars have embraced bar service in covid. It is SO MUCH BETTER than queuing at a bar and I don't really see the downside of it. Yes there are some terrible apps out there, but if I'm waiting for someone to bring me a drink I'd much rather do it whilst stood with my mates than in a queue for the bar.

As a customer, I really don't see the downside. Splott Parker: if you wanted to have a skinfull, then table service is hardly a blocker. I speak from experience here and cast no judgement. But in my experience having a night on the tiles is easy and still feels pretty normal.

Personally I love table/tray service and I hope loads of places adopt it as standard procedure.
I hate the table service thing, I like to leave the table and go to the bar and maybe have a conversation with someone other than my party whilst waiting to get served, not being able to have a chat on the way back from the toilet is depressing, especially when you’re told to keep moving. In the past you could have a few chinwags with different mates on the way back from having a slash. Just sat down and keeping to the company you’ve arrived with is not pub culture at all, we need to mix. Table service is ok abroad but the staff there are used to it and get your drinks to you sharpish, over here it’s led to laziness amongst staff, going to the bar yourself is so much more efficient for the customer but it does lead to bar staff having to be on their toes, something they don’t want given what the few I spoken to have indicated. Also abroad staff will find you a table by hook or by crook and get you in not shake their heads on the door when there’s plenty of empty tables on view, tables waiting for patrons who may never show. In my experience the staff are milking it, it’s no way to get the hospitality economy back on its feet.