+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A little look at Group A in Euro 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: A little look at Group A in Euro 2020

We have the advantage in the group of not playing the group favourites Italy until the final game, so it offers a chance for Wales to stamp their mark against teams they should be competitive against. Turkey have to travel back from Rome before Wednesday's game so not exactly ideal preparation for them. A win and a draw should be enough to secure progression to the round of 16 whether it be in 2nd or 3rd place.

I think this tournament will see a lot of teams playing patiently, operating with a 5 man back line consisting of 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs. Wales have the players to make such a formation work, and ideally I would like to see Ampadu operate as the central centre back with Rodon and Davies either side. It would give Ampadu the freedom to push up and join midfield when Wales are in possession with Allen (who deserves to start in my opinion) and enable Ramsey the freedom to float in the space behind the front three, which in order to be effective needs Moore at centre forward. I would also be tempted to play Wilson at right wing considering he has just played a full season with Moore, and then Bale at left wing.

But I think Page is more likely to settle for James, Bale and Wilson up top, with Ampadu and Ramsey in central midfield and Mepham coming in at centre back. He and his coaching staff see a lot more of the players than we do, so you would hope they get it right, but Wales seem incapable of creating persistent chances in the final third without Moore helping to create space and allow the likes of Bale and Ramsey to make an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    We have the advantage in the group of not playing the group favourites Italy until the final game ....
    Presuming your username discloses your location, would you be able to say anything more about the Switzerland team? The only thing I know about them really is that they're a side used to playing in tournaments.

So frustrating to watch episode three of Ellis James' football program then read a fan suggesting manager hates a specific club - we do so much better with "together stronger" than we did before, and there is so little to back up that club reaction suggestion.

Thread on the false 9: https://twitter.com/CymruWatch/statu...84267056177159

I wonder if it's partially that Moore's such a one off in the Welsh ranks (the next best player like him is Jack Vale at Blackburn Rovers youth team) that we have to get used to playing an alternative system to continue building for the future/any games he's not available?

It's going to be a bit tough, I'd agree that it's tougher than last time, but I saw enough in first 30 minutes against France to know it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Presuming your username discloses your location, would you be able to say anything more about the Switzerland team? The only thing I know about them really is that they're a side used to playing in tournaments.

So frustrating to watch episode three of Ellis James' football program then read a fan suggesting manager hates a specific club - we do so much better with "together stronger" than we did before, and there is so little to back up that club reaction suggestion.

Thread on the false 9: https://twitter.com/CymruWatch/statu...84267056177159

I wonder if it's partially that Moore's such a one off in the Welsh ranks (the next best player like him is Jack Vale at Blackburn Rovers youth team) that we have to get used to playing an alternative system to continue building for the future/any games he's not available?

It's going to be a bit tough, I'd agree that it's tougher than last time, but I saw enough in first 30 minutes against France to know it's doable.
    You presume correctly, I am based in Switzerland.

The Swiss are reasonably confident of their chances against Wales and Turkey. They play with the same formation that we expect Wales to play with 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 2 central midfielders and a centre forward flanked by two wingers.

As has been previously mentioned here, Wales do not have the settled camp they had going into Euro 2016 whereas Switzerland with Petkovic have a coach and a playing identity that has been embedded in them and proved reasonably successful for 7 years.

The spine of their team is really impressive and under rated in my opinion. Akanji and Elvedi at centre back and they have solid options at defensive and central midfield with Zakaria, Xhaka and Freuler. So as to be expected, Switzerland are pretty resolute and solid in defence.

As for attack, Shaqiri is their obvious attacking threat but Embolo if he starts is one to take note of as well. And Seferovic and Gavranovic are both cut from the same cloth, traditional centre forwards that the likes of Shaqiri and Zuber can work off from.

All important battle is for Wales to compete in central midfield, no easy task, and we assume Wales will go with Ramsey and Ampadu, who will have their work cut out for them.

Will be watching with my Swiss friends, so hoping for some friendly banter following a Wales victory.

The Swiss are reasonably confident...
    Thank you for this

Group A (where we are) and Group F (France, Portugal, Germany) appear to be the most difficult groups we could have been placed into. Nevertheless, this group has shown a real spirit and knack for winning games of late.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Thank you for this

Group A (where we are) and Group F (France, Portugal, Germany) appear to be the most difficult groups we could have been placed into. Nevertheless, this group has shown a real spirit and knack for winning games of late.
    I'm not so sure on that. Group B would have had us up against Russia, Belgium & Denmark. That's definitely a tougher group imo. Groups C and E would have been tough as well

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm not so sure on that. Group B would have had us up against Russia, Belgium & Denmark. That's definitely a tougher group imo. Groups C and E would have been tough as well
    There's a group containing world cup runners up and semi-finalists as well.

Looking forward to seeing this amazing Turkish team that seem to be having smoke continuously blown up their arse. Its amazing what a win against France 2 years ago can do for you reputation.
    Fine margins at international level, nothing between the 3 weaker teams and I honestly don't think Italy are streets ahead either. I think this group and THE group of death (for oblivious reason) are the ones harder to predict.

The Swiss are reasonably confident ...
    Spent 18 months back and forth to Basel recently, you could have just ended that statement there