Pure class, Mr A.

https://youtu.be/QA3l0XU1nos

StT.
    <><
    Pure class, what a player.

Re: ONE OF A DISAPPEARING KIND ... SERGIO AGUERO

He's no Leo Fortune-West....

In his latter days with Man City Aguero became a victim of false number nine syndrome. Granted, towards the end of his time at Man City, Aguero wasn't quite the player he was, but was his decline so great that it merited the false number nine approach adopted by Man City for most of last season? I'd say that, given that we're talking about the Premier League Champions and Champions League runners up, maybe it did, but going back about fifteen years, Craig Levein, rightly, got terrible stick when he picked a Scotland side without a striker and yet within about four years, Spain were winning major tournaments with their false number nine system. Of course, having Xavi and Iniesta in your midfield as well as other players athletic and intelligent enough to make up for the lack of a traditional striker helped and that's the point really, it seems to me that the lower down the football pyramid you go, the less likely it is that a false number approach will work.

Although at their best, Wales have the sort of players that might make a false number nine work pretty well (see Wilson's goal in Belgium and some of our play against a Finland team reduced to ten men), we're still talking about potential at international level when it comes to the likes of Brooks, Wilson and James, while Ramsey showed few signs of making a success of the role in the first half on Saturday and only started showing what he is capable of when we brought Moore on.

I think the OP was right to call Aguero one of a disappearing kind and can only think that the old "fox in the box" type striker in particular is now almost extinct because it was thought that they did not contribute enough in other areas of the pitch, but if and when a great one like a Greaves or Aguero comes along in the future, as I'm sure they will, I can see them having an absolute field day against defenders who have grown used to coping without them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    In his latter days with Man City he became a victim of false number nine syndrome. Granted, towards the end of his time at Man City, Aguero wasn't quite the player he was, but was his decline so great that it merited the false number nine approach adopted by Man City for most of the season? I'd say that, given that we're talking about the Premier League Champions and Champions League runners up, maybe it did, but going back about fifteen years, Craig Levein, rightly, got terrible stick when he picked a Scotland side without a striker and yet within about four years, Spain were winning major tournaments with their false number nine system - of course, having Xavi and Iniesta in your midfield as well as other players athletic and intelligent enough to make up for the lack of a traditional striker helped and that's the point really, it seems to me that the lower down the football pyramid you go, the less likely it is that a false number approach will work.

Although at their best, Wales have the sort of players that might make a false number nine work pretty well (see Wilson's goal in Belgium and some of our play against a Finland team reduced to ten men), we're still talking about potential at international level when it comes to the likes of Brooks, Wilson and James, while Ramsey showed few signs of making a success in the first half on Saturday and only started showing what he is capable of when we brought Moore on.

I think the OP was right to call Aguero one of a disappearing kind and can only think that the old "fox in the box" type striker in particular is now almost extinct because it was thought that they did not contribute enough in other areas of the pitch, but if and when a great one like a Greaves or Aguero comes along in the future, as I'm sure they will, I can see them having an absolute field day against defenders who have grown used to coping without them.
    I might be wrong on this, but I was thinking the OP was referring more to Aguero's humbleness, rather than his undoubted prowess on the football field (as well as his benevolence!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I might be wrong on this, but I was thinking the OP was referring more to Aguero's humbleness, rather than his undoubted prowess on the football field (as well as his benevolence!)
    I'm sure he was, but I thought I'd expand things a bit because I'd like to think that there are quite a few footballers out there who are capable of the sort of gesture Aguero made given that sort of money they can earn now - in fact, I'd say that there may be more of them about now than in the past.

There's also the fact that I forgot to look at the video before typing

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I was, RFoF. His generosity of spirit is a wonderful lesson to us all. However, Bob's post was interesting. Likewise I'd like to see these modern day full backs trying to cope with proper wingers from the 60's-70's.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I was, RFoF. His generosity of spirit is a wonderful lesson to us all. However, Bob's post was interesting. Likewise I'd like to see these modern day full backs trying to cope with proper wingers from the 60's-70's.

StT.
    <><
    I reckon the over lapping flying wing back of today would be severely caught with his pants down on many occasion if facing the likes of Best, Willie Morgan, Summerbee, Callaghan, Thompson, Paine, Connolly etc. Imagine those lot on the snooker table like pitches of today.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm sure he was, but I thought I'd expand things a bit because I'd like to think that there are quite a few footballers out there who are capable of the sort of gesture Aguero made given that sort of money they can earn now - in fact, I'd say that there may be more of them about now than in the past.

There's also the fact that I forgot to look at the video before typing
    Yup, you're right. I think Zola, when he was at Chelsea, did a similar thing, gave all the staff expensive watches.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

His teeth are offside

Apparently and According to Manure supporters

International

I thought I saw somewhere in the last 48 hours that his Range Rover has been put up for sale on E Bay.
    did anyone see that?

I think that's dreadful.