+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transport for Wales introduces improved Cardiff-Holyhead rail service

Transport for Wales introduces improved Cardiff-Holyhead rail service

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...rdiff-holyhead

Nice to see ,should be a very nice trip

Re: Transport for Wales introduces improved Cardiff-Holyhead rail service

They'd be hard-pushed to make it any worse....

International

You still have to go into England.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They'd be hard-pushed to make it any worse....
    Indeed it can only improve surely. Wow, five coaches too, unbelievable luxury - no more standing!

the article says it went from Holyhead to Cardiff in 2.5 hours? that's surely not right, unless the new train is high speed rail

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the article says it went from Holyhead to Cardiff in 2.5 hours? that's surely not right, unless the new train is high speed rail
    That's what I was thinking, the "old" service takes four and a half hours plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The quickest currently showing is 4.5 hrs. 2.5 hours would be pushing it, non stop.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    The quickest currently showing is 4.5 hrs. 2.5 hours would be pushing it, non stop.
    2.5 hrs just plain wrong. 4.5 he journey at best.

2.5 hrs just plain wrong. 4.5 hr journey at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    2.5 hrs just plain wrong. 4.5 hr journey at best.
    4.5 hrs with limited stops. 2.5 hours must be a typo.

However long it is better than the drive up and back lol

This is actually a bit of a con. The train in the picture is just a slightly re-vamped one that has been running for years - there has been a Diesel Loco and Coaches train from Holyhead ( early am ) to Cardiff and Return ( normally 6pm ) for ages. The same locos are being used, the coaches are a bit newer - but not any newer I think that the ones GWR run with 45 year old HSTs between Cardiff and Taunton everyday. The service was only stopped because of covid that allowed TfW to spruce up the stock.

The new services from Swansea to Manchester will be an improvment - but they are not coming until December 2022 which is 18 months away - and thats a long time ( remember electrification was going to go all the way to Swansea but then got stopped ).

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post

( remember electrification was going to go all the way to Swansea but then got stopped ).
    I didn't find that shocking

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    However long it is better than the drive up and back lol
    Haha so true. Done it a few times visiting relatives it's a trek whichever route.

Lovely scenery if you go through mid Wales but its not the most chill drive. Had the sat nav on as well and watching those minutes tick down isn't good. Felt like I'd been driving hours and it still said 3 and a half hours left.

Will probably cost about £100 return

Rail fares in this country are criminal

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You still have to go into England.
    Why is that an issue for a small percentage of complete morons though?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    This is actually a bit of a con. The train in the picture is just a slightly re-vamped one that has been running for years - there has been a Diesel Loco and Coaches train from Holyhead ( early am ) to Cardiff and Return ( normally 6pm ) for ages. The same locos are being used, the coaches are a bit newer - but not any newer I think that the ones GWR run with 45 year old HSTs between Cardiff and Taunton everyday. The service was only stopped because of covid that allowed TfW to spruce up the stock.

The new services from Swansea to Manchester will be an improvment - but they are not coming until December 2022 which is 18 months away - and thats a long time ( remember electrification was going to go all the way to Swansea but then got stopped ).
    I think the tfw carriages are mk4's, which are a good few years younger than the hst's. As for the hst's, they may be old but they are still comfortable and with 4 carriages they go like shit off a shovel

Need to see carmarthen to aberystwyth and pwllheli to Bangor lines reopen to make a wales circle line

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    Need to see carmarthen to aberystwyth and pwllheli to Bangor lines reopen to make a wales circle line
    It'd be nice to have a line again to Brecon / Hay as well.

There's a freight line from Swansea to almost Glynneath and one from Aberdare to Hirwaun. Reopen the old track inbetween and you could maybe have trains from Aberdare and Merthyr to Cardiff and Swansea, which would have to help the area. potentially extend to linkup the heads of the valleys too.

A proper rail link into the airport terminal building - with a check in desk at Cardiff central where you can leave your bags.

Open a station to get to the St Fagans park for those who don't want to drive - and have a old style station which you could connect to a steam train that does loops of the park.

Here ends my party political broadcast

Out if interest, does anyone know if the Coryton to Radyr line has finally been upgraded to 4 carriages? Last I heard they were due to come into service in April but may have been delayed due to Covid.

I don’t think the City line is due to be more than 2.

Again the TFW story for the valleys lines is strange - the brought in trains that had to be refitted to work on the Rhymney Line, but they are so unreliable that have to have a Diesel engine permanently stationed at Cardiff and Rhymney ( which they have to pay for ) in case one of the trains breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I think the tfw carriages are mk4's, which are a good few years younger than the hst's. As for the hst's, they may be old but they are still comfortable and with 4 carriages they go like shit off a shovel
    The original hst coaches are mk3s but have been significantly upgraded with the removal of slam doors and introduction of sliders - but I take your point.

Out if interest, does anyone know if the Coryton to Radyr line has finally been upgraded to 4 carriages? Last I heard they were due to come into service in April but may have been delayed due to Covid.
    Platforms are currently not long enough for 4 carriages

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Platforms are currently not long enough for 4 carriages
    They were due to be extended, I believe. Part of the upgrade.