+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT: ITALY 3 - 0 TURKEY.

FT: ITALY 3 - 0 TURKEY.

Olympic Stadium, Rome.

TEAM NEWS

Turkey are without Cenk Tosun, their top scorer in qualifying, who misses Euro 2020 after injuring his knee in April.

Lille striker Yilmaz, 35, will lead the line, while winger Cengiz Under may start after scoring as a substitute in their last warm-up match.

Italy could name the same team that beat the Czech Republic in a friendly last week.

Marco Verratti has yet to recover from a knee problem, so Manuel Locatelli is likely to again start in midfield.

Domenico Berardi has scored in each of his past four appearances for the Azzurri and is expected to get the nod on the right wing ahead of Federico Chiesa.

Roma midfielder Lorenzo Pellegrini was injured in training on Wednesday, and Italy are awaiting confirmation from Uefa that they will be able to call-up Fiorentina's Gaetano Castrovilli as a replacement.

Re: ITALY v TURKEY. Fri Jun 11th, 8pm

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Turkey have never beaten Italy, losing seven of 10 encounters, although the two most recent fixtures - friendlies in 2002 and 2006 - ended in 1-1 draws.
    • The only meeting at a major tournament came exactly 21 years ago (on 11 June) at Euro 2000, when the Azzurri won 2-1 in Arnhem thanks to goals from Antonio Conte and Pippo Inzaghi. Okan Buruk briefly equalized for the Turks, scoring their first goal at a European Championship finals.

Turkey

• Turkey have lost their opening game at all four of their previous European Championship appearances.
    • They have scored a total of 14 goals in six matches this calendar year, only failing to net once (in May's 0-0 draw with Guinea).
    • Turkey's squad has an average age of 24 days and 352 days, the lowest of any side at Euro 2020.
    • Senol Gunes' side were the only team not to concede a single goal from open play in Euro 2020 qualifying, while their overall total of three goals conceded was a joint low with Belgium.
    • They have only kept one clean sheet in their last 10 games at either the World Cup or European Championship, though it came in their most recent match - a 2-0 win against the Czech Republic in the group stage of Euro 2016.

Italy

• The Azzurri are unbeaten in their past 27 matches, the second longest undefeated run in their history.
    • They have won eight consecutive games, three short of their record winning streak (set in 2019).
    • Roberto Mancini's men have kept clean sheets in each of those victories and have gone 785 minutes (over 13 hours) without conceding.
    • Despite playing 38 matches at the European Championship, the Italians have never scored more than twice in a single game.
    • They have been involved in eight goalless draws at the tournament, more than any other side.

Come on Italy

International

Is it on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Is it on TV?
    BBC1 - 7.00 pm

i am guessing we want Italy to win their games and against turkey and the Swiz and we can fight for 2nd ?

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    i am guessing we want Italy to win their games and against turkey and the Swiz and we can fight for 2nd ?
    Basically yes as if they were to win both games they would qualify and therefore play their seconds against us in the last group game, great if we need a result.

That said, Italy are hoping we win both our 1st two for the same reason

Very tough match i hope this euro is another stand off borefest.

A big win for Italy would be helpful, at least 3-0 please

Italywill be tough to beat under Mancini.

Are Turkey the home side even though it’s in Rome?

Turkey playing for the draw, 9 in the box in open play!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Turkey playing for the draw, 9 in the box in open play!
    I don’t think I blame them Des, they drew the short straw I reckon, Italy in Rome first game. Don’t envy them at all, I’d have hated for us to be involved in the opener tonight. A heavy defeat and maybe your tournament is shot to bits before it’s even started, get a scruffy draw though in what is most probably your hardest group game sets you up nicely for your two ‘home’ games.

Considering the one given against Wales last week how was that not a penalty?

Don't Turkey have the best defensive record in qualifying?

A draw tonight could well see them through.

Referee has been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post

Exactly, although this one did go to VAR which exonerates the ref..........doesn’t it?

Really surprised that pen not given. Arm away from body, definitely a deflection, but hey ho perhaps it's for the best.

Turkey look shite, less worried about this group than I was at 7.59pm tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Really surprised that pen not given. Arm away from body, definitely a deflection, but hey ho perhaps it's for the best.
    Yeah I don't really get it myself. I thought the rule was clear now but you still have the pundits saying 'he was too close'.

Morrison had a similar one given against him as a penalty, think it was in Prem.

Italy have a good rhythm to their play.
    Could go close in this tournament

Italy 2 - 0

2 nil. Italy have looked right up for it.
    25 minutes left too.
    This could be a rout.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Because the ref got it wrong last week