+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Does Wales tournament hinge on the first game?

Does Wales tournament hinge on the first game?

I think it does, as in‘16 it can be a potential spring board. I think it’s our best chance of a win. Turkey in Baku will get the support & Italy in Rome will be tough.

I think that it needs to be treated as a knock out game & Wales have to go for the win. As a minimum we need 4 points from the Banks games, so there is little point in being conservative.

Re: Does Wales tournament hinge on the first game?

It is big, could do with Italy putting 6 past Turkey tonight as well

We can beat them all , can't we ?

They are all capable but we are capabale too. Draw Win draw. , I'm going for.

Can't believe how much of an advantage the likes of England, Scotland and Hungary have been given....among others.

MS shits on Hampden doesn't it ? I assume this has been discussed to death but Feck me.... this tournament is not an even playing field.

Yes

Think Italy are dark horses

I really disagree with that mindset. I think we can beat Turkey and beat Italy and should take the tournament one game at a time until we're mathematically out.

I will concede that Switzerland on paper appears to be our easiest game of the first three.

Yes, every team needs to get off to a winning start.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    We can beat them all , can't we ?

They are all capable but we are capabale too. Draw Win draw. , I'm going for.

Can't believe how much of an advantage the likes of England, Scotland and Hungary have been given....among others.

MS shits on Hampden doesn't it ? I assume this has been discussed to death but Feck me.... this tournament is not an even playing field.
    Spot on. The format of the tournament is so flawed

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Spot on. The format of the tournament is so flawed
    Agreed. As for the OP, I think we probably need the win tomorrow, although I do find myself wondering if Turkey are really as good as people are saying they are.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I really disagree with that mindset. I think we can beat Turkey and beat Italy and should take the tournament one game at a time until we're mathematically out.

I will concede that Switzerland on paper appears to be our easiest game of the first three.

This.

We will definitely get out of the group ✌
    Wales 2 - Switzerland 1
    Wales 2 - Turkey 0
    Wales 0 - Italy 0
    Finish 2nd then..........
    Wales 0 - Denmark 0 Win on pens
    Wales 3 - Holland 2
    Semis again but with a bit of luck ........................................ Could be lining up at WEMBLEY, WEMBLEY in the final 👍

Important we don’t lose. We lose and it’s goodbye I fear.

One foot in each camp here - Swiss father and Welsh mother. Bigger foot (by some distance) in the Welsh camp, but I get annoyed seeing the Swiss underestimated - although I admit that they have often been billed as the 'next big thing' and usually flatter to deceive at the big tournaments.

Anyway, must go and get my feet sorted out

Must win game especially if Italy win their first group game tonight, it sets the group up nicely .

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    One foot in each camp here - Swiss father and Welsh mother. Bigger foot (by some distance) in the Welsh camp, but I get annoyed seeing the Swiss underestimated - although I admit that they have often been billed as the 'next big thing' and usually flatter to deceive at the big tournaments.

Anyway, must go and get my feet sorted out
    They've been to every World Cup since 2006, missed one Euros since 2004 and qualified from their tournament group in four out of the seven events they've been too. We know how easy it is not to qualify so I'm not underestimating them.

But we also play Turkey in Baku, basically a home game for them, and Italy in Rome. There's something to be said about Switzerland at a neutral venue in comparison.

In 2016, 2 of the 6 3rd placed teams had 4 points, and 4 had 3 points. The 2 that didnt get through to the knockout had a negative goal difference.

Portugal mind went through after drawing all 3 group games.

A win will be great tomorrow. Even better if it's by 2 goals.

If we lose tomorrow we are gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if Italy finish on 9 points and the rest finish on 2.

Saying that in the first 20 mins Turkey have offered nothing. Could do with Italy scoring 4.